Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: 68RFE temps

1. Top Of Page | #1

68RFE temps

Hey all,

I just upgraded my valve body with a rev max, and also got the billet 15ss torque converter and flex plate from goerend.

I loaded my tunes from DRD and drove real easy for a couple hundred miles during the relearn.

Just towed my 10k+lb 5th wheel from so cal to Mammoth. Theres a pretty nice grade out of Bishop to Mono lake, about 10 miles of 6-7%. My converter was locked (no slippage on the MM3 monitor) in 5th the whole way up and i noticed that my trans temp climbed 20* or so to 185ish. Normally its 168-172. I also have the trans tune to work with the 225 psi line pressure the valve body gives me.

Question is, is this normal at all? I dont remember noticing it the last time i drove the grade. I couldnt really find anything on this happening other than when locked up, theres a lot less fluid moving which could cause it to slowly climb.?.?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE temps

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
    Hey all,

I just upgraded my valve body with a rev max, and also got the billet 15ss torque converter and flex plate from goerend.

I loaded my tunes from DRD and drove real easy for a couple hundred miles during the relearn.

Just towed my 10k+lb 5th wheel from so cal to Mammoth. Theres a pretty nice grade out of Bishop to Mono lake, about 10 miles of 6-7%. My converter was locked (no slippage on the MM3 monitor) in 5th the whole way up and i noticed that my trans temp climbed 20* or so to 185ish. Normally its 168-172. I also have the trans tune to work with the 225 psi line pressure the valve body gives me.

Question is, is this normal at all? I dont remember noticing it the last time i drove the grade. I couldnt really find anything on this happening other than when locked up, theres a lot less fluid moving which could cause it to slowly climb.?.?

Thoughts?

Anytime the motor and tranny are working harder your going to have some hotter temps 185 on a 6 to 7% grade on 10,000 trailer not bad at all

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

Sweet! Good to know since theres a bunch of new variables there to deal with. I know 180 isnt a big deal; Ive seen 230+ unlocked doing switchbacks in 2-3 before I learned about how to drive these trans.

Just wanted to make sure it wasnt the new parts causing an issue already.

Btw, the trans tuning from Ray at DoubleRDiesel is fantastic. Waaaaaaaay better than stock.

6. Likes Power247, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Anytime the motor and tranny are working harder your going to have some hotter temps 185 on a 6 to 7% grade on 10,000 trailer not bad at all

I agree with mr. dan. That's not bad at all in my opinion! Just keep an eye out and make sure they don't sky rocket LOL.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

185 is nothing to even blink an eye at. Hitting 200+ regularly is where you start to start to shorten the fluid life substantially. Hitting 220-230+ is where you tranny is on a path to destruction

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

10. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post