Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: towing set up

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

towing set up

Hi Been lurking here for a while. Just to give ya a heads up. I purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW 3.73 about a month ago. I want to pull a 5th wheel (13,000lbs) thru the mountains. This truck is a 2Wheel drive. I want to delete the choking of this truck. I took a trip to florida (not pulling anything) about a week ago. Seemed like the truck went into Regen every 200 miles. The only thing thats been done to the truck was the previous owner installed a Edge/attitude controller. I have the controller on default now (factory settings). First I want to change the exhaust system. Here's where I need your expertise, should I go with the 4" or 5" pipe. Also should it be from the cat back or turbo back? Next, I want to delete the EGR/cooler. Been looking at changing the intake manifold instead of plating off the factory intake. I see they make a 3.5" SS intake. Has anybody tried these. Gonna make changes one step at a time starting with the exhaust pipe. This truck is not a daily driver, only going to use it to pull our trailer. Thanks in advance Bartster

2. Likes walla2k5, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: towing set up

Quote Originally Posted by bartster View Post
    Hi Been lurking here for a while. Just to give ya a heads up. I purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW 3.73 about a month ago. I want to pull a 5th wheel (13,000lbs) thru the mountains. This truck is a 2Wheel drive. I want to delete the choking of this truck. I took a trip to florida (not pulling anything) about a week ago. Seemed like the truck went into Regen every 200 miles. The only thing thats been done to the truck was the previous owner installed a Edge/attitude controller. I have the controller on default now (factory settings). First I want to change the exhaust system. Here's where I need your expertise, should I go with the 4" or 5" pipe. Also should it be from the cat back or turbo back? Next, I want to delete the EGR/cooler. Been looking at changing the intake manifold instead of plating off the factory intake. I see they make a 3.5" SS intake. Has anybody tried these. Gonna make changes one step at a time starting with the exhaust pipe. This truck is not a daily driver, only going to use it to pull our trailer. Thanks in advance Bartster

Hey bud! Congrats on joining the forum. Also, congrats on the new to you truck! Ill shoot you a pm and we can go over some details for ya.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Hey bud! Congrats on joining the forum. Also, congrats on the new to you truck! Ill shoot you a pm and we can go over some details for ya.
    Clayton of DDP will hook you up with parts great guy to deal with

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

7. Likes SyN liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=bartster;122477]Hi Been lurking here for a while. Just to give ya a heads up. I purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW 3.73 about a month ago. I want to pull a 5th wheel (13,000lbs) thru the mountains. This truck is a 2Wheel drive. I want to delete the choking of this truck. I took a trip to florida (not pulling anything) about a week ago. Seemed like the truck went into Regen every 200 miles. The only thing thats been done to the truck was the previous owner installed a Edge/attitude controller. I have the controller on default now (factory settings). First I want to change the exhaust system. Here's where I need your expertise, should I go with the 4" or 5" pipe. Also should it be from the cat back or turbo back? Next, I want to delete the EGR/cooler. Been looking at changing the intake manifold instead of plating off the factory intake. I see they make a 3.5" SS intake. Has anybody tried these. Gonna make changes one step at a time starting with the exhaust pipe. This truck is not a daily driver, only going to use it to pull our trailer. Thanks in advance Bartster[/QUOTE

My personal opinion is that if you aren’t going for big horsepower the 4” exhaust would be fine, and no benefit of having the 5”. I’m not sure what year they stopped putting the cats in and went to a down pipe with flex connector like mine had. But if it has a cat I would do turbo back and if it’s a down pipe I would leave that because the flex connector takes up the vibration. Ray’s tuning at double R diesel would definitely be the way to go. I installed the 5” flo-pro stainless exhaust on my truck and it fit like a glove, with no complications.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CCLB DRW. *** EGR delete, S&B cold air intake, Flo-Pro 5” stainless turbo back exhaust without muffler, shibby plug kit, MM3 tuner with DRD complete option package. ARP 625 head studs, 103# valve springs, extreme duty push rods, pusher intake horn, CP3 bag of parts, fleece powerflo in tank lift pump.

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Clayton of DDP will hook you up with parts great guy to deal with

I second that!

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CCLB DRW. *** EGR delete, S&B cold air intake, Flo-Pro 5” stainless turbo back exhaust without muffler, shibby plug kit, MM3 tuner with DRD complete option package. ARP 625 head studs, 103# valve springs, extreme duty push rods, pusher intake horn, CP3 bag of parts, fleece powerflo in tank lift pump.

11. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks Scambler13. I am absorbing all the input that I have received so far. What does the MM3 tuner with DRD complete option package consist of. I have a edge/attitude tuner/controller on the truck now that was installed by previous owner. What's the difference. Sorry for all the questions but I`am in a learning curve. Had a duramax 05 before, seems to be a little different than the Cummins. Thanks Bartster

13. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks Scambler13. I am absorbing all the input that I have received so far. What does the MM3 tuner with DRD complete option package consist of. I have a edge/attitude tuner/controller on the truck now that was installed by previous owner. What's the difference. Sorry for all the questions but I`am in a learning curve. Had a duramax 05 before, seems to be a little different than the Cummins. Thanks Bartster

You can check out the full description on their website but it has all the horsepower levels of 30,60,90,120,150, and 200 plus all of the sound tunes. Also the MM3 tuner comes with the switch tuning now, so selecting the power level on the fly is fast and easy and can have the sound tunes on any power level. DRD tunes are all custom tunes specific to your truck with trans tuning also, where the other tuners are a generic 1 size fits all box tune.

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The MM3 tuner from Ray of DRD custom tunes is the best you can get and he’s a great guy to deal with

16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Welcome aboard

4" is plenty. Ask the Dude about the turbo resonator that free flows, but kills the typical aftermarket drone.

May I suggest. you take the plunge and order a Shibby Delete kit for your EGR and DPF. Order an MM3 from @Double R Diesel, he is also a sponsor here. Dude can fix you up with the exhaust and Shibby stuff.

I'm not trying to sell you anything. Your complaints are the same as everyone elses. I was one of the pioneers of all this stuff.

The 373's will be fine. I went over pikes peak on 342's and 11K

We'll keep a light on for ya

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

17. Likes walla2k5, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast