Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: towing set up

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: towing set up

Quote Originally Posted by bartster View Post
    Hi Been lurking here for a while. Just to give ya a heads up. I purchased a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW 3.73 about a month ago. I want to pull a 5th wheel (13,000lbs) thru the mountains. This truck is a 2Wheel drive. I want to delete the choking of this truck. I took a trip to florida (not pulling anything) about a week ago. Seemed like the truck went into Regen every 200 miles. The only thing thats been done to the truck was the previous owner installed a Edge/attitude controller. I have the controller on default now (factory settings). First I want to change the exhaust system. Here's where I need your expertise, should I go with the 4" or 5" pipe. Also should it be from the cat back or turbo back? Next, I want to delete the EGR/cooler. Been looking at changing the intake manifold instead of plating off the factory intake. I see they make a 3.5" SS intake. Has anybody tried these. Gonna make changes one step at a time starting with the exhaust pipe. This truck is not a daily driver, only going to use it to pull our trailer. Thanks in advance Bartster
    The Edge JWA adds power and throttle response but I do not think it will handle deletes. You can Google search your model number to be sure.

The main draw back to running the JWA on the early 4th gens is that it produces a lot more soot, making the truck Regen more often and shortens the life of the catalytic converter. '12 was the last year Ram had a cat in the down pipe off the turbo. Since you are already seeing increased Regens, I would get the full 4" turbo back exhaust with a muffler/resonator since you will be towing.

More than likely you will need to replace the Edge with a 'more advanced' tuning product. While there are a few options, you will find that MM3 tuning by DRD is the go to for most folks here. Ray has been tuning my truck for years, first with H&S custom tuning and now with the MM3. I highly recommend DRD, you will not be disappointed!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

2. Likes walla2k5, TOWPIG, CumminsBrian liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Want to thank all who have piped in on all this great info. Gonna think it over and make a plan. Have been retired for 10 years. I've learned not to make quick moves. Cheers Bartster

4. Likes TOWPIG, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

If towing at a min I would have the transmission tune! If doing more get the towing valvebody, change fluids and filters every 30-40 miles...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12