Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Where are modifications permitted?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Where are modifications permitted?

What sorts of modification can you make in which states?

I am a new Cummins owner so have much to learn. I read about emissions tunes and many members making various levels of deletes and tunes. Asking dealers is silly cause they will pretty much always say you cannot change anything. Decoding each states rule book is difficult.

I assume California won’t let you even open the hood. I am in Massachusetts and my state inspection report didn’t say anything about emissions results. I plan to move to New Hampshire where the state safety inspection, much to my surprise, is more rigorous than here in Mass but I know nothing about diesel emissions testing.

So, could members who know, report on what your state lets you do or not do?

My interest, in general, is good performance with great fuel mileage and the ability to tow 12-14k comfortably a few time per year.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn CC SB SRW White Cummins Aisin with 5th wheel package
    ARE cap on order
    hunting for a chrome winch bumper
    need to add clearance lights
    Want Rigid Adapt driving lights

2. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Where are modifications permitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx0849 View Post
    What sorts of modification can you make in which states?

I am a new Cummins owner so have much to learn. I read about emissions tunes and many members making various levels of deletes and tunes. Asking dealers is silly cause they will pretty much always say you cannot change anything. Decoding each states rule book is difficult.

I assume California won’t let you even open the hood. I am in Massachusetts and my state inspection report didn’t say anything about emissions results. I plan to move to New Hampshire where the state safety inspection, much to my surprise, is more rigorous than here in Mass but I know nothing about diesel emissions testing.

So, could members who know, report on what your state lets you do or not do?

My interest, in general, is good performance with great fuel mileage and the ability to tow 12-14k comfortably a few time per year.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    In NC they do emissions testing in certain county’s. In the county’s where they don’t emissions test, they still have to make a visual of your exhaust and all components to pass a state inspection.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, cumminsbadgirl, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If they made it illegals half my county would be in jail

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

In my state I can do whatever I want

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs