Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Water temp sensor upgrade?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Water temp sensor upgrade?

Where I live, typical driving is back roads and 55mph and under. Im new to diesels and ive noticed that when I get on it and hit higher revs the water temp drops from roughly 180 to 140/130 and climbs back to 180 once I level out. Never really bothered me before as it only does this when I really get on it, figured its typical of diesels since it never effected anything. This morning I was running a bit late to where i had to be and was cruisin on the highway at 75 and after about 20 minutes I notice my gauge drop to 140/130 but climb to 190 and once it hit 190 dropped right back to the 140 range and immediately climbed again. I got a bit worried thinking this cant be good to be rapidly fluctuating like this. The gauge didnt stop moving for one moment (not exagerating, did not stop LOL) the remainder of the trip (about another 30 min) and I even dropped down to 55mph. 8 hours later im done with what I have to do and since im in no rush I didnt go over 55 and she stayed right where she always has at about 180. My question is, is this typical? Ive got no loss of coolant, blocks dry, and if it wasnt for the water temp gauge I wouldnt have noticed anything. ive read that its a good idea to go to cummins and get one of there oil pressure units for better accuracy is this the same case for the water temp? Any upgrades like more of a probe than a sending unit? Thank you for all future replys!

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Water temp sensor upgrade?

Oh and particulars on the truck. 97 2500 5spd completely stock 175k

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Water temp sensor upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunstone53 View Post
    Where I live, typical driving is back roads and 55mph and under. Im new to diesels and ive noticed that when I get on it and hit higher revs the water temp drops from roughly 180 to 140/130 and climbs back to 180 once I level out. Never really bothered me before as it only does this when I really get on it, figured its typical of diesels since it never effected anything. This morning I was running a bit late to where i had to be and was cruisin on the highway at 75 and after about 20 minutes I notice my gauge drop to 140/130 but climb to 190 and once it hit 190 dropped right back to the 140 range and immediately climbed again. I got a bit worried thinking this cant be good to be rapidly fluctuating like this. The gauge didnt stop moving for one moment (not exagerating, did not stop LOL) the remainder of the trip (about another 30 min) and I even dropped down to 55mph. 8 hours later im done with what I have to do and since im in no rush I didnt go over 55 and she stayed right where she always has at about 180. My question is, is this typical? Ive got no loss of coolant, blocks dry, and if it wasnt for the water temp gauge I wouldnt have noticed anything. ive read that its a good idea to go to cummins and get one of there oil pressure units for better accuracy is this the same case for the water temp? Any upgrades like more of a probe than a sending unit? Thank you for all future replys!
    On my 97 5.9 Cummins I never had fluctuated like yours does usually just stayed around 180 when it got up to temperature

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post