CJC Off Road

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: DRD MM3 Tuner & Amp Research Steps

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DRD MM3 Tuner & Amp Research Steps

Running the MM3 Lite Version from DRD and love it. Considering springing for the "Switch" upgrade. Fully deleted including heater grid. Came with tunes pre-installed for my application and worked right out of the box. Easy to install. Easy to program. Easy to operate. What's more, you get the legendary customer service from DRD as well. Feels like a new truck, no regrets whatsoever.

I did want to mention something quickly for the guys running Amp Research steps that plug into the OBD-II port and are considering an MM3 tuner (or vice versa). While Ray at DRD advises against it, I went ahead and bought an Amp Research OBD-II splitter so I could leave both my steps and tuner plugged in. However, on Ray's advice, I did the initial programming of the ECM with the tuner plugged directly into the OBD port. Afterwards I installed the splitter. I have been running this setup now for about a week and have changed power settings on the fly numerous times and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I did a lot of research on this subject before I bought my tuner and there isn't a lot of info out there about it. Be aware that some guys have bought the less expensive splitters at Amazon, etc. and a few had their steps cease to function. A few others managed to cut the OBD plug and successfully hardwire (not an easy task). That wasn't an option for me. Just some food for thought...hope it helps someone.

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DRD MM3 Tuner & Amp Research Steps

We have a '16 and 17'. On the 16 my amp steps are hardwired so no issues with that one. The 17 didnt have an option for hardwirong through amp so we used a splitter for that truck. Have had one failure to deploy in roughly 8 months. I think it might've loosened up at the obd. I also noticed that when using the remote start function the passenger side will lower about a fifth of the way and close while the truck starts. It happens every once in a while. Have switched tunes with the splitter and all works fine. I dont have the nerve to be removing parts and splicing wires on a 60k truck so like you, the splitter is my only option but it works fine. Btw I have one of those cheap amazon ones so maybe thats why the step will crack open with remote start...idk.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

4. Thanks jeepmanjr thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, jeepmanjr liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Check out this thread...

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...g-board-system

Took some trial and error and several emails to AMP but It can be done. Just read all the way through the thread. The wiring diagram I posted had the diodes backwards.

Have had zero problems since I hard wired the steps.

Good luck.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    Work In Progress

6. Thanks jeepmanjr thanked for this post
    Likes jeepmanjr, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

As a matter of fact I read both of your posts a couple of weeks ago regarding Amp steps and tuners. Good stuff, that's how I decided to give the Amp splitter a shot. So a big thanks to both Brent and Steven!! I'm gonna run with my current setup and revisit the hardwire option if I have any issues.

8. Likes Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Jeepman, where did you get your splitter from?

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

FWIW, I sent MM3 an email a while back, they said running a splitter and Amp steps should be no problem because the Amp steps are just reading info, not sending info. Haven’t tried it myself yet though

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB SLT

Tuned by Ray at DRD

11. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

guys there is a hardwired option for 2017 and 2018 model....I did my 2018 hard wire didn't have to modify anything...