Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  63
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing Tune Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Towing Tune Question

Just looking for experiences/opinions. We are full-time RVers. Towing approx. 15k HitchHiker fifth wheel with a 2010 DRW Crew Cab long bed and 68RFE tranny, full deletes with a RaceMe Ultra tuner running box tunes (version RAME007C). Running the stock power tune.

My question is this: while towing, what would be the safest RT tune to use? Don’t want to toast the tranny. Don’t feel the need for power, just looking to improve fuel economy where I can. Also, when selecting the RT parameters, what about rail pressure, timing, and torque? Currently, all those are set to default.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Towing Tune Question

I user the 60 hp tune when towing.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

4. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Bobtipton, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

You can bump up the tuner a little bit. Keep an eye on your gauges and go from there. I have towed on 100hp before with no issues. Again this will depend on weight, where you are in country, hills, etc...

If you notice your truck getting too high in egts or trans temp in one tune bump it down. If you need to give it alot of acceleration going up steep hills bump it down to be safe.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I haven't towed with the MM3 tunes yet but ran the 90hp on my previous tuner. I just had to remember to manually shift to 5th gear prior taking any real grade.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Towed on stock power today about 90 miles ( Socorro to Albuquerque, NM) up I-25. EGTs ran around 850, with a peak of 1035. Ran in fifth at 60-65 mph the entire way. Coolant temp seemed to run a little high - averaged around 207-208 and I normally see 203-204. Tranny temp ran 172 at its hottest. Ambient temp was 90 and full sun the entire way.

I may try the 30 hp tune when we leave here for Durango, CO, on Tuesday to see if maybe something is messed up in the RACE007C stock tune.

Thanks for the responses,

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobtipton View Post
    Towed on stock power today about 90 miles ( Socorro to Albuquerque, NM) up I-25. EGTs ran around 850, with a peak of 1035. Ran in fifth at 60-65 mph the entire way. Coolant temp seemed to run a little high - averaged around 207-208 and I normally see 203-204. Tranny temp ran 172 at its hottest. Ambient temp was 90 and full sun the entire way.

I may try the 30 hp tune when we leave here for Durango, CO, on Tuesday to see if maybe something is messed up in the RACE007C stock tune.

Thanks for the responses,

Bob

Your temps are good. Thermostat opens at 208 on the older 4th gens so it makes sense that you hover close to that mark when towing. My trans temp is typically 80-90* above air temp when towing which matches up with what you got too. Peak EGTs will go up as you raise the hp but as long as you keep it under 1500* you're good.

Safe travels!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

12. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Your temps are good. Thermostat opens at 208 on the older 4th gens so it makes sense that you hover close to that mark when towing. My trans temp is typically 80-90* above air temp when towing which matches up with what you got too. Peak EGTs will go up as you raise the hp but as long as you keep it under 1500* you're good.

Safe travels!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    X2 Agree with Greg as far as trans temperature depends on size of load your hauling and most definitely the ambient temperature and how hard you push down on go pedal and what hp level your running good luck and safe travels

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

14. Thanks Bobtipton thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    X2 Agree with Greg as far as trans temperature depends on size of load your hauling and most definitely the ambient temperature and how hard you push down on go pedal and what hp level your running good luck and safe travels
    Hauling approx. 15k fifth wheel. Running stock power. 60 mph in fifth gear and I try to keep EGTs below 1100 as the probe is mounted in rear cooler block off plate, which I understand reads about 200 degrees cooler?

Bob

16. Likes Power247, walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Hello, New to the forum and I know this thread is a little old but thought I would throw my .02 cents out there. I have a 2010 DRW 4x4 with the same trans and same tuner. Only difference is I have a H&S exhaust manifold and borg warner SX-E 63mm turbo with 5" exhaust. My truck absolutely sucks on MPG towing or not on the low settings. If I turn the tuner all the way up I gain alot of MPG. With no trailer on stock settings and even 60hp tune I will get 10-11mpg at best on the highway at the speed limit with cruise. Now if I turn mine all the way up to the 200hp tune and make the same trip it will get 20-21mpg. I just made a 800 mile trip pulling my 44' cyclone toy hauler fully loaded at 70mph on the 200 hp tune and the temps all remained fine and I got 14mpg. Normally pulling i would get 8-9mpg. Truck never ran any hotter than when on a stock tune. Risky? Maybe but without high temps I dont see it as a problem. I know the trans is the weak link but I never saw any increase in temp or noticed any funny shifting. I think this may be different if it was in the hills or mountains and this trip was fairly flat. Guess I will keep it turned up and see how well it all holds together.

18. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, watersupply189, Yamahamod, Murph liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2010 View Post
    Hello, New to the forum and I know this thread is a little old but thought I would throw my .02 cents out there. I have a 2010 DRW 4x4 with the same trans and same tuner. Only difference is I have a H&S exhaust manifold and borg warner SX-E 63mm turbo with 5" exhaust. My truck absolutely sucks on MPG towing or not on the low settings. If I turn the tuner all the way up I gain alot of MPG. With no trailer on stock settings and even 60hp tune I will get 10-11mpg at best on the highway at the speed limit with cruise. Now if I turn mine all the way up to the 200hp tune and make the same trip it will get 20-21mpg. I just made a 800 mile trip pulling my 44' cyclone toy hauler fully loaded at 70mph on the 200 hp tune and the temps all remained fine and I got 14mpg. Normally pulling i would get 8-9mpg. Truck never ran any hotter than when on a stock tune. Risky? Maybe but without high temps I dont see it as a problem. I know the trans is the weak link but I never saw any increase in temp or noticed any funny shifting. I think this may be different if it was in the hills or mountains and this trip was fairly flat. Guess I will keep it turned up and see how well it all holds together.
    Welcome friend keep us updated if you have any changes.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast