Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 24V Not right in top end RPM

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Question 2000 24V Not right in top end RPM

Hi, I have a 2000 Cummins with 150,000 miles on it that runs great, but when I'm cruising around 55 and punch it, it seems to hesitate and stagger getting up, but after holding it for like 5 seconds it revs and takes off. Does anyone have an idea what it might be? Starts fine, idles fine, its stock other than a straight pipe exhaust and S&B air intake. Please help, Thanks.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Also, I'm running just regular fuel from the pump, nothing else.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Oh and when I go to start it even after just driving it, the voltage is pretty low, like just enough to start it and it goes up after idling for a little. My terminals are very bad, does anyone think this is the cause for everything?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yeah. . . But that voltage drop could be your grid heater too.

You might have a lift pump going or when was the last time you changed the filter?

Get those terminals fixed up

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Okay, thanks for the response. I'm not sure when the fuel filter was last replaced. I bought it about a month ago and the guy never said anything about it. Ill have to try that also. I was thinking the terminals because of other forums I was reading. I read to tighten them, but it's kinda hard to do that when they are all corroded off LOL that's probably the first thing ill do in the morning. Do you know how much fuel filters usually cost?

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

If they are that corroded, then they need to be removed and cleaned inside. That means the battery terminals are or were leaking. That's what causes the corrosion. You could soak them in a mixture of baking soda and them rinse them. A light coating of engine oil will prevent them from corroding again.

If in doubt, replace that filter. Fuel starvstion on the VP44 pump is a bad thing

Other forums. Yeah, bunch of guessers and micky mouse mechanics.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

any mods?

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

8. Top Of Page | #8
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Nope, no mods

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

i 2nd the lift pump possibility and the filter. Do you have the ability to watch your fuel pressure?

You have no mods, so I can't suggest turbo lag,

Any additive to the fuel?

What is the temperatures like? (is fuel jelling a possibility)

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Hopefully, ill be able to watch it soon, I have a boost, egt, and fuel pressure gauge sitting in it now, just gotta put them in LOL it's about 25 degrees Fahrenheit. No additives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast