Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Excessive smoke from tailpipe with noise and knocking intermitant

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Excessive smoke from tailpipe with noise and knocking intermitant

I’ll be taking a smoke machine home tonight to verify there is no boost leaks causing the high egt’s i’ll also be pressure testing the radiator cap and inspecting the wires under the valve cover

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    Yes the machine shop magnufluxed it and no cracks and followed with a resurface. Head has been off 4 time sense I’ve owned it I’m going to do a pressure test and make sure it’s not a stupid radiator cap. The coolant temp normally was around 180 never saw it over 200 except when my water pump went bad then it got to about 220. Now it losses coolant every time it’s ran for very long and coolant them is normal unless it idles when parked this time I’ve only seen it at 214 I did put a 180 t-stat in it awhile ago
    I would still look for cracks in the head I’ve heard magnufluxed is not a fool proof system never seen it myself but you could have a crack in head and each time did you put a new head gasket on and properly torqued the head in the right sequence and the right amount of foot lbs torque good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Thanks dmuney thanked for this post
    Likes dmuney, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    I would still look for cracks in the head I’ve heard magnufluxed is not a fool proof system never seen it myself but you could have a crack in head and each time did you put a new head gasket on and properly torqued the head in the right sequence and the right amount of foot lbs torque good luck
    I see your point and yes it may be a possibility but it just started doing this and it has never really gotten that hot . But yes that is going to be one of the things I check I still haven’t been able to check the other tests we’ve been talking about yet. But seeing how I have to work Saturday I think I’ll just baby it to work ( only 2 miles ) and do the tests there sense that is where all the tools are already there anyways it’s easier than bringing the tools home

6. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Ok so overheating or trying to Anyways that was a simple radiator cap installed a new one and that problem is gone now back to the wired pop smoke misfire issue

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Well I guess the radiator cap didn’t fix it dang it so at what point do Arp 2000 head studs fail because it appears I have a blow head gasket Every time I drive it I loose a gallon or maybe re of coolant it’s pushing it right out the resivor

10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Ok guys good news So I got frustrated and gave up on the truck and didn’t touch it for a few weeks

The other day I decided it was time again spout came the tools and for what I had a pinhole leak in a heater hose and it was spraying coolant right on the exhaust manifold which explains why I never saw a leak due to the heat of the manifold the coolant would evaporate before I could get the hood open to look. I finally remember to take home my cooling system pressure tester and I found the leak instantly. As for to popping and knocking it hasn’t done it sense all appears to be in good working order other than I think it is finally time for a upgraded radiator and a all aluminum intercooler why because I like to upgrade the necessity’s why not a few extra dollars it well worth it.

Thank you guys for all your help

11. Likes Power247, 4kids2dogs&RV liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

I know it's been along while since i've posted on IGOTACUMMINS but i thought I'd share this with all of you........... Ok everyone I know this thread is pretty old but I've found my problem finally. It seems as though I was right. We've all talked about what may be the cause of the knocking and smoke and well today i decided its time to find out, so after my truck sitting for quite some time i removed the cylinder head why do you ask? I did a compression test and 1,3-6 all had 450 to 500psi compression but #2 only had 350psi . I was panicked and thought the worst another bad cylinder. But then again i parked the truck so it couldn't be bad yet. I was expecting to find another damaged ring and/or piston but when i removed the head it looked perfect, i was confused and stomped around all day trying to decide what to do . so I decided to look at the valves , i used the spring compressor that would collapse all 4 valves at once and so I started with cylinder #2 and I couldn't believe what I found........ The exhaust valves weren't sealing correctly in fact they almost didn't seal at all. So now a 2nd valve job . I'll post up some pics of what i found and keep you posted. I do thank all of you you for your guidance and help and hopfully i'll never have to tear this engine down again . What I found today has been such a relief.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123