Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: UCC Qualifier Grandpa’s Good Farm Truck

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

UCC Qualifier Grandpa’s Good Farm Truck

Figured I’d post this and share the build and my UCC Qualifier experience.
    First off none of this would be possible with out Will Terry and the rest of the PDD crew, Seth Farrell at Farrell Diesel Service, Savage Fabrication, Nitrous Express, Cody at XDP and Longhorn Fab Shop.

As many know I was gunning for UCC 2018, had a truck and good parts, until I got smashed into at work which side lined me for over 3 months. Went to AZ for the NHRDA event and the itch started back up. Purchased Cotton Doc’s hot street truck for a head start on the build. By the time I got home, I had 4 weeks and 2 days til I had to load up to go to UCC. Started ordering and planning. Build was simple, survive on a budget, and win the war of attrition.

Rebuilt the entire front end, moog ball joints, Napa 99 HD steering, timkin hubs, Spicer axle joints, eBay rotors, eBay pads, eBay steering brace, autozone calipers, autozone brake hoses, fabbed up a stabilizer Mount and used a used fox stabilizer off Craigslist. Went and got savage fabrication shock tower delete plates and got an amazon special on 4 bilstein 5100 shocks. Lowered the rear end, removed the overload, and used a 2” block. Installed Longhorn Fab traction bars. Rear brakes looked fine so reused them. Had both drive lines sent off for balancing with new U joints.
    For the transmission had Will Terry go through it and replace a few parts, new clutches, and some new steels. Not much was required as Paul had already had the trans built.
    Engine was simple, low compression, loose PTW, and large ring gaps. Will took some used vp44 pistons and machined them down and opened the bowls. Used the stock rings and re gapped them. Reused my stock rods, with new rod bearings. Installed a used but polished crank shaft from Todd at PDD. Used Todd’s old Haisley camshaft to drive the new 13mm p pump. Grabbed a set of scrap tappets and resurfaced them with a sander and 800 grit paper. Block got a quick hone and surface from a local machine shop. Used Todd’s old set of main bearings, and slapped it in with some 14mm main studs from ARP. Rods went back on with Haisley rod bolts. Installed the new 13mm Pump from Seth with a Haisley adjustable gear, and some .120 pre bent lines. Power Driven helped me out with a set of 5x.025 injectors, a ******* set of pushrods and savage fabrication provided the tappet cover, and valve cover breathers. Paul had already installed 60# springs, Haisley retainers, fire ringed the head and 625 ARP studs. Truck already had compounds a 366/480 which I stuck with just added better boots, more spring clamps, and a hood stack. Instead of gating into the primary ran the gate to the atmosphere to keep both turbos alive. Ran a harbor freight regulator to control the wastegate opening.
    Reinstalled the engine and trans, rebuilt the t case with a new chain and began finishing it up. Used todds old standard spline Yukon axles for my Dana 70 read end. Fabbed up a weight box, installed my eBay trailer hitch, eBay Fuel cell, 2 derale trans coolers, nitrous and water meth. Started the engine, completed one hot retorque, and shut it down. Cracked an injection line, reinstalled the stock lines and Patty Haisley was nice enough to bring one to UCC as a warranty swap.

Loaded up with extra metal, welder, and various supplies to UCC. Picked up Spence and we completed our 39 hour journey through a blizzard. Checked in at UCC and drew second to last on the dyno which was a blessing. We were able to swap lines, Fab a front drive shaft loop, wire up the nitrous and ghetto fog water injection. I plumbed 2 of the big nozzles from Nitrous Express, One spraying into the inner stage pipe and The other in front of the primary compressor wheel.
    Hit the dyno did 900/1700 on Fuel
    Added .125 jet of spray did 1080/1900 ish blew a boot, reinstalled the boot and went open line 1177/2033 and split the boot. Good enough for our team and good enough for 7th place. All night and into the drag race thrashed on getting another retorque, nitrous and water switches plumbed so I could use them on the wheel. Installed front limiting straps, changed the oil, and borrowed Todd’s drag slicks. Set the the pump on kill and hit the track. First past the throttle linkage fell off the pump. Went back to the pits and electrical taped it back on. Second run with a small jet went 10.87 at 121 which was the best pass of the day. On the final pass a driver mod would have helped. Launched so hard I couldn’t reach the shifter and the rpm gauge smacked the zero, tried to save it went I believe 11.81 or something. Heard a rattle went to the pit found number 6 intake adjuster backed off, a galled intake adjuster ball, and a bent pushrod. PDD supplied replacement parts, and we reassembled it. Truck had a miss on #6 but went away at 2000rpm. So we stayed up all night, fabricated u joint shields, weight box mount, and a solid rear suspension set up. Went to the pulls first One was going well until it fell under the turbos, probably due to a bad hole. Second pull boosting up heard a pop and all we had was 2wd. Best pull was 29’.

All in all we placed 16th out of 25 which I’m ok with. Wish it was better but dollar for dollar we held our own, and the truck still went on to the trailer. I’m grateful for a safe weekend, new friends, and building stronger ones with old friends. I’ll be honest never thought we would stand a chance but dinosaur power is still here to play. Not sure if I’ll try to qualify again or just stick to drag racing, but either way thank you to the people who helped, and I can proudly say we did our best.

05 QCSB 3500 SRW tow pig
    95 SCLB race truck

2. Thanks walla2k5, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: UCC Qualifier Grandpa’s Good Farm Truck

That is quite a feat, congrats!

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks Sir!

05 QCSB 3500 SRW tow pig
    95 SCLB race truck

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 24VPPumpDragTruck View Post
    First off none of this would be possible with out Will Terry and the rest of the PDD crew, Seth Farrell at Farrell Diesel Service, Savage Fabrication, Nitrous Express, Cody at XDP and Longhorn Fab Shop.

As many know I was gunning for UCC 2018, had a truck and good parts, until I got smashed into at work which side lined me for over 3 months. Went to AZ for the NHRDA event and the itch started back up. Purchased Cotton Doc’s hot street truck for a head start on the build. By the time I got home, I had 4 weeks and 2 days til I had to load up to go to UCC. Started ordering and planning. Build was simple, survive on a budget, and win the war of attrition.

Rebuilt the entire front end, moog ball joints, Napa 99 HD steering, timkin hubs, Spicer axle joints, eBay rotors, eBay pads, eBay steering brace, autozone calipers, autozone brake hoses, fabbed up a stabilizer Mount and used a used fox stabilizer off Craigslist. Went and got savage fabrication shock tower delete plates and got an amazon special on 4 bilstein 5100 shocks. Lowered the rear end, removed the overload, and used a 2” block. Installed Longhorn Fab traction bars. Rear brakes looked fine so reused them. Had both drive lines sent off for balancing with new U joints.
    For the transmission had Will Terry go through it and replace a few parts, new clutches, and some new steels. Not much was required as Paul had already had the trans built.
    Engine was simple, low compression, loose PTW, and large ring gaps. Will took some used vp44 pistons and machined them down and opened the bowls. Used the stock rings and re gapped them. Reused my stock rods, with new rod bearings. Installed a used but polished crank shaft from Todd at PDD. Used Todd’s old Haisley camshaft to drive the new 13mm p pump. Grabbed a set of scrap tappets and resurfaced them with a sander and 800 grit paper. Block got a quick hone and surface from a local machine shop. Used Todd’s old set of main bearings, and slapped it in with some 14mm main studs from ARP. Rods went back on with Haisley rod bolts. Installed the new 13mm Pump from Seth with a Haisley adjustable gear, and some .120 pre bent lines. Power Driven helped me out with a set of 5x.025 injectors, a ******* set of pushrods and savage fabrication provided the tappet cover, and valve cover breathers. Paul had already installed 60# springs, Haisley retainers, fire ringed the head and 625 ARP studs. Truck already had compounds a 366/480 which I stuck with just added better boots, more spring clamps, and a hood stack. Instead of gating into the primary ran the gate to the atmosphere to keep both turbos alive. Ran a harbor freight regulator to control the wastegate opening.
    Reinstalled the engine and trans, rebuilt the t case with a new chain and began finishing it up. Used todds old standard spline Yukon axles for my Dana 70 read end. Fabbed up a weight box, installed my eBay trailer hitch, eBay Fuel cell, 2 derale trans coolers, nitrous and water meth. Started the engine, completed one hot retorque, and shut it down. Cracked an injection line, reinstalled the stock lines and Patty Haisley was nice enough to bring one to UCC as a warranty swap.

Loaded up with extra metal, welder, and various supplies to UCC. Picked up Spence and we completed our 39 hour journey through a blizzard. Checked in at UCC and drew second to last on the dyno which was a blessing. We were able to swap lines, Fab a front drive shaft loop, wire up the nitrous and ghetto fog water injection. I plumbed 2 of the big nozzles from Nitrous Express, One spraying into the inner stage pipe and The other in front of the primary compressor wheel.
    Added .125 jet of spray did 1080/1900 ish blew a boot, reinstalled the boot and went open line 1177/2033 and split the boot. Good enough for our team and good enough for 7th place. All night and into the drag race thrashed on getting another retorque, nitrous and water switches plumbed so I could use them on the wheel. Installed front limiting straps, changed the oil, and borrowed Todd’s drag slicks. Set the the pump on kill and hit the track. First past the throttle linkage fell off the pump. Went back to the pits and electrical taped it back on. Second run with a small jet went 10.87 at 121 which was the best pass of the day. On the final pass a driver mod would have helped. Launched so hard I couldn’t reach the shifter and the rpm gauge smacked the zero, tried to save it went I believe 11.81 or something. Heard a rattle went to the pit found number 6 intake adjuster backed off, a galled intake adjuster ball, and a bent pushrod. PDD supplied replacement parts, and we reassembled it. Truck had a miss on #6 but went away at 2000rpm. So we stayed up all night, fabricated u joint shields, weight box mount, and a solid rear suspension set up. Went to the pulls first One was going well until it fell under the turbos, probably due to a bad hole. Second pull boosting up heard a pop and all we had was 2wd. Best pull was 29’.

All in all we placed 16th out of 25 which I’m ok with. Wish it was better but dollar for dollar we held our own, and the truck still went on to the trailer. I’m grateful for a safe weekend, new friends, and building stronger ones with old friends. I’ll be honest never thought we would stand a chance but dinosaur power is still here to play. Not sure if I’ll try to qualify again or just stick to drag racing, but either way thank you to the people who helped, and I can proudly say we did our best.
    Sounds like a pretty sweet setup

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 24VPPumpDragTruck View Post

Congrats brother! That's awesome!!!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post