Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  60
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy towing.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Heavy towing.

Gentleman, I have a question, I'm about to attempt to haul a very heavy excavator roughly 21k on a 20k rated gooseneck that weighs around 5200 lbs. Behind my 12 3500 srw. Does anyone with any heavy haul experience have any input. Coming from Johnson City TN to Jacksonville FL. I have a CDL and know better but I need to move this machine. I've made this run several times with my 03 2500. But haven't had the 12 long enough to have a good feel for it. If that makes sense. Would you guys attempt it? Thanks in advance. Oh and I have thick skin so don't worry about the feelings LOL.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Heavy towing.

The truck would haul it fine. These rams are some pulling machines. I don’t know how the DOT is down there, but up here in northern NY they are all over and are always on the look out.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thats what I mean by I know better, but who knows. I have access to an older f550 and I think legally that would prob work, but I don't want to drive that turd. I used to be a Ford guy but I may be spoiled now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DZLJOE View Post
    Thats what I mean by I know better, but who knows. I have access to an older f550 and I think legally that would prob work, but I don't want to drive that turd. I used to be a Ford guy but I may be spoiled now.

The Cummins Ram will pull it especially if you’ve deleted it

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Yes it's deleted,

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Gentleman, I have a question, I'm about to attempt to haul a very heavy excavator roughly 21k on a 20k rated gooseneck that weighs around 5200 lbs. Behind my 12 3500 srw. Does anyone with any heavy haul experience have any input. Coming from Johnson City TN to Jacksonville FL. I have a CDL and know better but I need to move this machine. I've made this run several times with my 03 2500. But haven't had the 12 long enough to have a good feel for it. If that makes sense. Would you guys attempt it? Thanks in advance. Oh and I have thick skin so don't worry about the feelings LOL.
    Cummins Diesel only Real Diesel in a pickup truck and the Ram is the best truck hands down

8. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

You going across Sam’s Gap? We’ve pulled our 15k fiver across their a few times with our 2010 DRW prior to deletes without issues but I’m about 10k lighter than you. Don’t know if I would personally be comfortable on that route with that much weight but that’s a personal comfort level.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

The only times I have pulled that heavy was with a much larger truck than a SRW. That's a lot of weight to rest on 2 rear wheels... No doubt the Cummins can make the power to pull it, it's the rest of the truck that come into question.

personally I'd drive something else if I had access to it.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

If you still have leaf springs (I forget the changeover year) you are risking it. With that weight I prefer the stability of those duals. I tow 21K lbs regularly, but with a f550 or a ram 5500 I have pushed my 16 ram 2500 up to 17K and even loaded properly it was a bit white knuckled in places. A few miles yeah, but a couple hundred miles, I would play it safe and take the f550.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast