Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I sm3ll a shifty mechanic

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

I sm3ll a shifty mechanic

All right guys and gals I'm not sure if y'all will remember my brother had purchased a 2008 Cummins a few months ago. Well it's been at a mechanic shop for approximately 2 months now and now the guy begins to work on it. At first we thought finally but here's how it's going... First he says you will probably need a new head. Now I can see this if the head was decked to its maximum when it was O ring Ed. But a mechanic who has to send the head off to be milled doesn't have the qualifications or equipment to make this judgment in my opinion. So we said just send it off and if we need to purchase a head we will. Then he says You should purchase a head because in order to accept head studs the heads are bored over. Now this I know to be a load of baloney. I said no they're not and he says well the last one I did had something like 40 cracks......now he says the turbo is likely also the culprit injunction with the head being blown. I cannot fathom a single reason that a bad Turbo which isn't water cooled could ever cause an increase of pressure in the radiator mimicking a blown head. Can anyone else enlighten me on any possible way this can be or is this just a crook trying to make some extra money as it seems to me.

grey pearl 2016 ram 2500 6.7 G56. mega cab. deleted & tuned mm3 by ray @drd 5" turbo back

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: I sm3ll a shifty mechanic

I smell the same thing you do....

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

3. Thanks Badger2078 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sounds to me like he is just trying to change parts until it corrects the problem.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That's what I would say. Except he hasn't fixed the head gasket yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler13 View Post
    Sounds to me like he is just trying to change parts until it corrects the problem.
    grey pearl 2016 ram 2500 6.7 G56. mega cab. deleted & tuned mm3 by ray @drd 5" turbo back

6. Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post
    All right guys and gals I'm not sure if y'all will remember my brother had purchased a 2008 Cummins a few months ago. Well it's been at a mechanic shop for approximately 2 months now and now the guy begins to work on it. At first we thought finally but here's how it's going... First he says you will probably need a new head. Now I can see this if the head was decked to its maximum when it was O ring Ed. But a mechanic who has to send the head off to be milled doesn't have the qualifications or equipment to make this judgment in my opinion. So we said just send it off and if we need to purchase a head we will. Then he says You should purchase a head because in order to accept head studs the heads are bored over. Now this I know to be a load of baloney. I said no they're not and he says well the last one I did had something like 40 cracks......now he says the turbo is likely also the culprit injunction with the head being blown. I cannot fathom a single reason that a bad Turbo which isn't water cooled could ever cause an increase of pressure in the radiator mimicking a blown head. Can anyone else enlighten me on any possible way this can be or is this just a crook trying to make some extra money as it seems to me.

Doesn’t sound like he really knows what he’s talking about bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Thanks Badger2078 thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Hm.... sounds like we should change the tires as well to help ya out!

Yeah bud good catch. In my opinion i don't think he really knows what he is into and you are right by wanting to send it off. If he will not send it off then you can do it yourself. Is he the manager of the place? Try to find and talk to the owner or someone so you won't be screwed out of a ton of wasted money on it if he has any extra hours on it for nothing.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks Badger2078 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post

Yeah bud good catch. In my opinion i don't think he really knows what he is into and you are right by wanting to send it off. If he will not send it off then you can do it yourself. Is he the manager of the place? Try to find and talk to the owner or someone so you won't be screwed out of a ton of wasted money on it if he has any extra hours on it for nothing.
    That’s a good one bro change the tires

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

12. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post

No he is the owner. It disgusts me. However the tires might be a little soft over the extra heat the bad turbo is putting out LOL???

14. Likes Power247, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Alright guys. Is the turbo on the 6.7 watercooled? I haven't seen the turbo and multiple sources i dont trust tell me it is.

Found a article on google referencing the other Cummins forum for 1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badger2078 View Post
    Alright guys. Is the turbo on the 6.7 watercooled? I haven't seen the turbo and multiple sources i dont trust tell me it is.

Found a article on google referencing the other Cummins forum for 1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yes sir, the stock turbo has engine coolant lines running through it.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

18. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast