Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  106
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emissions compliant tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Emissions compliant tuning

I have some questions I hope someone can help me with.

Just bought a new 18 2500 6.7. Sold an 03 5.9 that I bought new 15 years ago. To date I have no real experience with tuning, engine modifications etc. so I have a lot to learn.

After watching many of the DRD videos I am really intrigued and interested in the emissions complaint tuning. I have emissions testing here and thus am not really interested in deleting things that would create a fail. Im less concerned about my warranty although it is still a consideration as well. The improved power and sound from the DRD tuning is impressive and looks to be something Id like to add.

My questions - (I did email DRD and have gotten responses but Im left with just as many questions after and they seem busy...) Please help.

1) DRD mentions that the tuner is not recommended for trucks with over 50,000 miles. Thats fine as mine has about 60 total miles on it right now. But in about 3-4 years Ill be up to 50k. What happens then? DRD says it could become plugged up and then I would need to replace the stock exhaust or delete it. So if I understand - at some point before or around 50k my truck is going to have issues relating to a clogged exhaust. If I want to continue to pass emissions testing Id need to replace the exhaust system with one that is stock. Is that correct? What sort of costs would I be looking at for that? What have any of you done who have to pass emission testing? Do you delete and then put it all back on?

2) We get tested every two years here. At that time what do I do with the tuner? DRD says to remove and flash back to stock. I assume that means I simply take the tuner out of the truck, plug the ERG plug back in and then do something that makes the truck run stock again - referred to as "flash"?

3) Having never ran a tuner before I struggle a bit with understanding them. DRD has "tunes" producing 30, 60, 90 hp. increases. I assume this is very noticeable otherwise who would spend close to $1,500 ish for tuning. Those of you who have ran emissions compliant tuning - is it a noticeable difference? Are you running a "tune" always or just on occasion?

4) Sound - One DRD Video I saw discussed the 12V sound tune being available to those with emission compliant tuning. Ive also heard that you can only get those sounds if the exhaust is deleted. What is the case?

Thanks for any help. Other advise and/or comments are very welcome too.

2. Thanks watersupply189, Houairman thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, david3gen, Hb73721, Burd liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Emissions compliant tuning

1st off Welcome!

2nd, I am on a 2016 with DRD EGR-less since around 7K miles. I am now at 44K. No issues, no problems, and I have a feeling I am higher than average miles on an EGR-less tune. @Double R Diesel may be able to confirm that. So let me answer your questions as best as I can.

1. Regarding the 50K miles and exhaust may become clogged, even a non-tuned truck exhaust issues are frequent at or even below 50K miles. I can't speak for just how long the emissions in tact EGR-less tuning is good for, but I am getting nearer to that 50K miles, and no lack of performance.

2. not sure where you are from, but with the EGR-less you can plug everything back in (2 plugs for me) and flash the stock file and go through inspection. That varies by state, and I don't know for your state.

3. the difference in the tunes is noticeable. With the MM3 you are always running a tune. I chose my 30hp as my base tune, and the RT tunes I have are 30 60 90 and 120. I also have a 60hp 12V tune. I typically leave the truck at the 30hp but towing I will run a 60. If I am doing a long highway run I will turn up the 120 and set the cruise control.

4. you can get a 12V tune on an EGR-less setup, but the other sound options may require full deletes.

As for anything else, just ask. Feel free to tag me with the @ then my username if you want to make sure to grab my attention.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

4. Thanks watersupply189, CSC5150, onkyo, 25-06 thanked for this post
    Likes PWRWAGN, watersupply189, david3gen, Smoke liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply @F350Cummins greatly appreciated! Your responses are very helpful as you are running what I will be and getting close to 50k. So again Big thanks!

I hadn't considered that a stock truck would start to have clogging issues around 50k miles. I never had any of those concerns/problems with my 5.9 cummins. Still getting used to the different world of the 6.7. What are your plans once you do have problems with your exhaust system? Have you looked at your options and costs?

I am in Idaho. There are counties all around me that don't have emission requirements but my county does. I know some who will find a friend/family member to let them register their truck in another county so they can delete but Im not crazy about that idea. Sounds like passing would be easy once I plugged things back in, removed the tuner and "flashed".

Ok so you always have it run a 30hp tune then bump it to 60 or 120 on occasion. The 12V sound tune can be ran in conjunction with one of the hp tunes I assume? One thing that amazed me was how quiet this truck is. Will that 12V sound be louder like my old 5.9 perhaps? Would be nice to know Im driving a diesel on occasion.

Another question... I am having a lift put on this week hopefully and will be running 37s. Ive contemplated re-gearing but a couple guys have told me to that they like their stock gears with 37s and a tuner. I know that when ordering the DRD tuner they ask for gearing, tire size etc... Do you know if I was to go with stock gears now and change gearing in the future if the tuner could be updated for that?

Thanks
    Again.

6. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I miss my 5.9 personally as well.

as for plans if/when I have exhaust issues, I have extended warranty I will try to push it through that if not, delete. since I have the mm3, it is just the delete plates, pipes (I will likely do full exhaust) and a programming change. I have the delete plates somewhere already.
    as for the 12V tune, it is a different RT tune. RT tunes are the change on the fly tunes that are put in there by your tuner. You can tell Ray what you want your base tune to be, and what tunes you want.

Once you get into regearing and tire size changes I am less versed, but I know you can make some changes through the MM3. I think its under the ABS menu, but I would have to go look again to be 100% sure.
    @PWRWAGN

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

6 in a row makes her go

8. Thanks watersupply189, CSC5150, onkyo thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, PWRWAGN, david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Welcome friend! I’m running the EGRless tune from DRD and I have my 12V set on the 60hp. When I’m not running the 12V tune I just leave it at 60 all day long. If I’m towing heavy I’ll drop it down to 30hp because you don’t want to get it too hot! I don’t run it at 90 or 120 because it slips my stock clutch. I wouldn’t recommend running above 90 unless you upgrade your head studs. I tuned my truck at 20,000 miles and just yesterday turned 40,000 with no problems at all with the tuner or the truck. Ray at DRD is an awesome honest man and he would never steer you wrong!

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Thanks CSC5150, 25-06 thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thank you for your comments @watersupply189 Just further confirms my decision to get this tuner.

I will be pulling a 30' camp trailer and a little more power would be welcomed (although Ive yet to pull anything with my new truck). I will be getting the EGT probe so I can keep an eye on that. I had a EGT, Boost and Transmission temp gauge on my old truck and really liked being able to watch what was going on. I assume I won't have a trans temp unless get a probe for that? EGT is probably the main thing necessary. I assume those can all be connected to the tuner or would that need to be a separate gauge?

So you run a 60HP tune with the 12V sound most of the time. Sounds like a perfect combination (except when my wife is with me as she appreciates the quietness of my new truck LOL). In the you tube videos the 12V sound difference is substantial - are you getting the same results with your truck?

Again thank you for your comments!

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PWRWAGN View Post
    Thank you for your comments @watersupply189 Just further confirms my decision to get this tuner.

I will be pulling a 30' camp trailer and a little more power would be welcomed (although Ive yet to pull anything with my new truck). I will be getting the EGT probe so I can keep an eye on that. I had a EGT, Boost and Transmission temp gauge on my old truck and really liked being able to watch what was going on. I assume I won't have a trans temp unless get a probe for that? EGT is probably the main thing necessary. I assume those can all be connected to the tuner or would that need to be a separate gauge?

So you run a 60HP tune with the 12V sound most of the time. Sounds like a perfect combination (except when my wife is with me as she appreciates the quietness of my new truck LOL). In the you tube videos the 12V sound difference is substantial - are you getting the same results with your truck?

Again thank you for your comments!
    I love the 12V sound. It does sound like my old 1998.5 12V I use to have. As for your trans temp I couldn’t tell you since I have a G56 trans. I know somebody on here can give you advice about it though.
    Only downfall going with the EGRless tune is you will definitely use more DEF. I’m averaging just normal driving and not towing anything about 2,500 - 3,000 miles a tank. If your towing a lot you will use more than that. That doesn’t bother me at all though. With having the EGR turned off your not recirculating that soot back into the engine.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

14. Thanks CSC5150 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, david3gen liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I have seen my trans temp creep up into the 190 range with 15K lbs behind me and accelerating or climbing a long hill, but as soon as you relax it it drops. pretty quick. (I am in a 68RFE truck) as for my EGT's I havent put the probe in yet, was waiting for warmer weather, that is now here. The EGT's will show in the MM3 if you get the probe with it.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

16. Thanks CSC5150 thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Pulled the trigger and ordered the DRD EGRLESS system with the pod and EGT probe. Should have it in a few days.

Spoke to JJ at DRD and was informed that they no longer have sound tunes available for Emissions Compliant systems which is a little disappointing but understandable as they said some trucks were having issues. It is sounding like Ill be wanting to delete the exhaust system in the future anyway - hopefully finding a way which will still pass emissions testing. JJ mentioned that some of the emissions crap we have on the 6.7 might not even be on the next gen trucks... maybe I should have waited another year or two to buy.. Hmmm.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast