Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MCC Tuning Advice

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

MCC Tuning Advice

So I’m looking for some advice on MCC tuning.

Currently, my truck is fairly basic. 2008 6.7 with 5” tbe, fully deleted, running a Mini Maxx.

I do not have head studs yet, so I’m looking to create some low end power with fuel without adding boost and keeping rail pressure down.

I do have a stock fuel system as well.

I’ve got a decent basic knowledge but could use some help on specifics.

My question is when I change the injection duration, how far can I go without causing damage?

It’s currently at 130, can I safely push to 150?

Also, how do I adjust the injection timing to fire early enough to burn the extra duration at tdc?

2. Thanks ORDuner thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Are you using a stock torque converter/ trans ? Are you talking about changing the axis from a max of 130 to 150mm3 ?

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I need MCC help! I want to tune but need to be sure i can

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

What help do you need? I tuned my truck and am happy with the end result. I stayed around the stock 800ftlbs but improved the power all around. You have to find a timing calculator online and learn how to use it. It takes a bit of research followed by trial and error to make the tune you want.

6. Thanks Nooch13 thanked for this post
    Likes Nooch13 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Are you referring to changing the duration axis from 130 to 150 ? It was explained to me that stock or mildly modded trucks are incapable of reaching 150 in the fuel mass axis. 130 should be good. What you may want to do is change the max mm3 in the lower right of the duration map you working on. I wouldnt advise going past 2.400 mm3 in street trucks. Im lower than that and am very happy. After you raise the max mm3 value in the lower rt , then blend the surrounding cells to blend them in. I used the % option to help blend approx 3-4 columns upper fuel cells.
    As for timing: Find a timing calculator on line. You have to use a Timing Calculator. Once you have one , decide how much before TDC you want the fuel shot and the calculator will give timing values. It does this by comparing your current duration table /timing table and your input of how much fuel BTDC you want to inject.

8. Thanks Nooch13 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, Nooch13, ORDuner liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Justastock08 Sorry for the late reply. Yes you can tune yourself. When you purchase the MCC unlock code (required) and enter on your H&S device, you will have access to custom tuning your truck. After you load the H&S tune on your truck for the first time, a copy of your stock tune is written to the SD card. I believe you will enter the MCC unlock code on the device itself. Next take the sd card out of the device and to your PC. Download the Max Calibration Control software (free online), insert the SD card on PC. I suggest copy/paste the entire SD card to a folder on your PC. Next create a folder on the SD card named "CUSTOM" (for your custom tunes). I recommend, removing the SD card from the PC, then open MCC, select the folder location you made on your PC. Select the tune H&S wrote to the SD card and modify then Save As a new name like Tune 1. Do this so you dont overwrite the default tune. You can PM me if you need some assistance. Better yet, we can start a new thread. There is a link to H&S tunes and definition files on the forum. Use a Non ATT tune or suffer blown head gaskets and turbo. I stongly recommend you update the Definition files immediately. They are updates that H&S made. Early tunes by H&S had too much turbo ect and caused problems. I noticed a change for the better when I did this. Oh, another tip: before tuning, or return to stock if you are tuned , go to your RAM service and have them install the latest updates. I just had mine updated, the occasional surge at light throttle is fixed and the truck does seem to run better.

10. Likes Power247, Stedman, ORDuner liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Justastock08 Use this forum thread to post questions. PM is restricting # of messages.

As for adjusting the VGT turbo to get a 5.9 tune, you have to open Turbo maps in MCC and change the desired atmospheric air EOM 1-6. Youll notice low numbers in the upper left and higher numbers in lower right. This value tells the PCM how much to open or close the turbo to achieve the psi in the cell at that rpm/load. If your lower rt value is 35, that is the max boost your turbo will achieve. A lot of H&S tunes have too much turbo, like 40 and will blow your head gasket or turbo. I lowered mine to max 35 or 36 to keep this from happening.

Now for the 5.9 fixed turbo tune you can go into the Max closed position Amb pressure maps and change the higher values (ex. anything above 25) and lower them all to 25. (Just guessing) This should keep the VGT from closing more than 1/2 of its full travel. Ive never done a 5.9 tune and am giving my opinion on how to get the sound. Keep us updated on your progress.

12. Likes david3gen, Power247 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

okay so i am looking at doing the 5.9 tune i want to get your opinion before i upload it to the truck here are the before and after tables for the turbo maps.

BEFORE (Desired Airflow)
    https://i.imgur.com/sex6uS6.png

AFTER
    https://i.imgur.com/y6RXezA.png

BEFORE (Turbo Max Closed)
    https://i.imgur.com/ujUPheU.png

AFTER
    https://i.imgur.com/sM4csJz.png

BEFORE (Turbo Min Closed)
    https://i.imgur.com/OvxUPPr.png

AFTER
    https://i.imgur.com/DzWyJj1.png

IF you cant see the pictures let me know now i dont know if i did this right or not i did 2 on the max closed so the vanes move slightly so they dont stick i do use my EB a lot so no issue there i think. also idk a lot about MM3 i want the 5.9 sound at idle and low speed i think this is close to what i want but want more eyes to see it first.

14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Where did you get your tune? The desired airflow map doesnt look right. Anything over 35 is going to cause too much drive pressure which will blow your head gasket and probably the turbo. Your map is showing 80. Did you get this from your mini maxx ? When starting to use MCC, first go to your mini maxx settings and select export tune. The mini maxx will then write a tune to your SD card. Take note of the tune number , remove SD card and bring to you PC. Open exported tune .This gives you a base tune to open on your MCC desktop. Save this tune "Save As" and rename to something like tune 1. Now mod tune 1, that way you not be changing the original tune. Min closed looks good. I see you want the 5.9 sound at idle then have VGT function as normal above idle. Max closed might try, if too laggy either change all 2s to 10 or mabe 2, 6, 12 (left to rt) ramp up, that way the turbo will be more responsive but still be mostly open.

15. Likes Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yes that's what I want VGT when driving 5.9 at adle and parking lot driving. And I did export this tune from the mini Maxx and just now opened it up. I only have ran box tunes on my truck this is a stock export I'm using and I only changed the first few box's on all the maps also what is MM3/S air flow? I really don't know if I should go down more on the maps or not

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast