Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  76
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing in 4wd.

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Towing in 4wd.

Quote Originally Posted by bajaben View Post
    Yup. I am military and my next duty station is up there. Really looking forward to moving up there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Awesome, Fairbanks or Anchorage?

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Wait a minute!

You better consult the manual on that. The 4WD usits are only supposed to be used in slippery conditions. Unless they changed something, you're still going to stretch the drive chain in the transfer. It's my understanding they are NOT 50/50 and I can't see how that would matter. I could be wrong on that with the 4th gens.

Why on earth would you want to tow in 4wd anyway??? Save that for the camp grounds. There's too many things that can go wrong.

Just the old crab with too many years of experience talking.

Come to think of it, I got rid of my 4X4 because I never used it

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Most of my 4wd use is under 85km/h in the winter. But there's been a few trips across New Brunswick and Quebec hauling a 5-6000 lb trailer in 4wd, cruising anywhere from 40 up to 110km/h. The roads varied so much I didn't want to take it out but the roads at best were always wet. I had one scare when the trailer was blown in to the next lane on black ice, the cross winds were THAT strong. I would have lost it if it wasn't for 4wd and the weight of a Cummins over the front wheels!
    The only thing I make sure of is to be under 80km/h and no power to the wheels when I engage 4HI. I've never seen a maximum speed posted. I remember some of the old square body GMCs used to be full-time fwd. Not sure if they had a max speed posted.

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G.rid View Post
    Most of my 4wd use is under 85km/h in the winter. But there's been a few trips across New Brunswick and Quebec hauling a 5-6000 lb trailer in 4wd, cruising anywhere from 40 up to 110km/h. The roads varied so much I didn't want to take it out but the roads at best were always wet. I had one scare when the trailer was blown in to the next lane on black ice, the cross winds were THAT strong. I would have lost it if it wasn't for 4wd and the weight of a Cummins over the front wheels!
    The only thing I make sure of is to be under 80km/h and no power to the wheels when I engage 4HI. I've never seen a maximum speed posted. I remember some of the old square body GMCs used to be full-time fwd. Not sure if they had a max speed posted.
    In those conditions it would be acceptable. But just haulin down a dry road is something else. I've seen the conditions you are talking about in Wyoming. Only did it in 2wd.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

So I do understand that 4wd is for slippery conditions only. That is why I asked. In my research for my trip up north, i have read that the roads can be all gravel and washed out. That would the only time I would use it.

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Fully Build 68RFE by BD Diesel
    SXE 64.5 fixed vane turbo
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

7. Thanks AG2 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Anchorage. I am crazy excited to get up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKram2500 View Post
    Awesome, Fairbanks or Anchorage?

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I tow 8k all the time in the winder if the roads are crappy. Never had an issue.
    Dry pavement is another story...

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

10. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

So I do understand that 4wd is for slippery conditions only. That is why I asked. In my research for my trip up north, i have read that the roads can be all gravel and washed out. That would the only time I would use it.

BTW Which Branch? Army Vet. Thanks OHrah

As long as the wheels can slip. Mud, sand, gravel, ice, snow, SOS, jello Stuff like that. But dry pavement is a no no

12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Army EOD (bomb tech) been active duty for 8 years now. Love my job. I plan on being a 20 year guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    BTW Which Branch? Army Vet. Thanks OHrah

As long as the wheels can slip. Mud, sand, gravel, ice, snow, SOS, jello Stuff like that. But dry pavement is a no no

2014 2055
    Deleted, tuned(DRD)
    Inline exhaust break
    Stock CP3 and injectors

13. Thanks watersupply189, Power247 thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Army EOD (bomb tech) been active duty for 8 years now. Love my job. I plan on being a 20 year guy.

Atta Boy. ARMY

I used to carry those things in Nam. I wanted to be an engineer and the Army made me a truck driver. Go figure. Hauled all kinds of ordinance. Never went anywhere without a load.

You have it made being stateside. Keep messing with explosives. LOL

15. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12