Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Leaking engine and trans?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Leaking engine and trans?

2016 2500 60k miles on it and I did an oil change yesterday and it looks like the front of the trans pan is leaking and the rear of the oil pan is leaking. Does the motor have to come out for the shop to replace the oil pan gasket? Those crossmembers don't look like they give enough room!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Leaking engine and trans?

I don’t see a leak need better pictures no motor doesn’t have to come out but it has to be unbolted from engine mounts and lifted up to get clearance it’s a big job good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'd bet your rear crank seal is leaking. Gotta pull the tranny to replace that one.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

You might check the valve cover and the spacer. I know this is a dumb question, but I'll ask

Have you ever spilled any oil when filling the crankcase during an oil change? The heat of the engine makes the oil flow and eventually gets down to the bottom.

I didn't see any drips. Is it just damp? Or is it soaked? Is there dirt sticking to it, or is it shiney?

Before jumping to conclusions, try washing down the whole engine with some degreaser real good. Top and bottom. Then keep an eye on it.

Been there, Done that.

To answer your question though, to change the oil pan gasket, no. You'll have to jack up the engine a few inches. Some of the 5.9's tended to weep from the rear seals too. BTW

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You might check the valve cover and the spacer. I know this is a dumb question, but I'll ask

Have you ever spilled any oil when filling the crankcase during an oil change? The heat of the engine makes the oil flow and eventually gets down to the bottom.

I didn't see any drips. Is it just damp? Or is it soaked? Is there dirt sticking to it, or is it shiney?

Before jumping to conclusions, try washing down the whole engine with some degreaser real good. Top and bottom. Then keep an eye on it.

Been there, Done that.

To answer your question though, to change the oil pan gasket, no. You'll have to jack up the engine a few inches. Some of the 5.9's tended to weep from the rear seals too. BTW
    Good info and input

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Likes watersupply189, david3gen, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post

Been there, Done that.

Good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post