Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Turbo 1 - Air Filter 0

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Turbo 1 - Air Filter 0

I was out playing in the blizzard we had up here this past weekend. I gave er the skinny pedal through a big drift and a service air filter warning popped up on the dash. Pulled over to investigate and found that my filter got wet and plugged with snow causing the turbo to try sucking it through the intake. Dang paper filters. Time for a washable.

2015 Ram 3500 CCSB SRW 4x4 G56
    2020 Ram 2500 CCSB 4x4 68RFE

Never ending project. Always adding something...

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo 1 - Air Filter 0

You can carry a spare stock .. buy an oil filter that needs to be sprayed with cleaner, dry and oil .. or a dry washable cloth one.
    I went with a washable cloth one. Only problem with it is you need to give it time to dry.
    But if you out in the wilds, a replaceable stock one is eaiser. Pull the old, insert the new and when your near a trash barrel, throw the old.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189, Noneck, Power247 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Washable ones will do the same. The only way to avoid this is to keep the snow out of the air inlet and the best way I’ve found is by adding a winter front.
    I live in ND so this is a common occurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

6. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, Power247 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

With all that is happening around here in my life, I guess I had a brain fart.
    Your filter got wet ?

I have to ask, is your filter housing stock ? If so, do you have fenders ? The stock filter housing opening is from the fender well and the outer finder skin. They tend to be sealed together with very little opening, and high up on the area. How the heck did you get that much snow in there to wet your filter ? Or are the '15's designed different that I think ?

(I'm sorry I have an S&B with the snout under the front bumper and forgot to ask what you have).

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes watersupply189, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    With all that is happening around here in my life, I guess I had a brain fart.
    Your filter got wet ?

I have to ask, is your filter housing stock ? If so, do you have fenders ? The stock filter housing opening is from the fender well and the outer finder skin. They tend to be sealed together with very little opening, and high up on the area. How the heck did you get that much snow in there to wet your filter ? Or are the '15's designed different that I think ?

(I'm sorry I have an S&B with the snout under the front bumper and forgot to ask what you have).
    When it snows a lot, the tiny flakes get stirred up like dust and get sucked into the filter. The flakes being much much bigger than dust, plug the filter up in a hurry and you end up with a big block of ice for an air filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post