Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: New tires wearing the outside fronts just like the old ones.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

New tires wearing the outside fronts just like the old ones.

I recently purchased a set of LT275/70R18 Goodyear Duratrac tires to replace the Firestone Transforce HT's on my Ram 2500 and I noticed today the front outsides of the tires are wearing faster than the rears again. They have been on the truck for only a few weeks(<600 miles) and I had the alignment checked a few days after they were installed and everything was good within range. I had this same problem with the Firestone tires that came on the truck and I only got 20,000 miles out of those before the dealer told me last oil change that I only had 4/32 of tread left on them. Now with the new Goodyear's I've got the same problem showing, wearing the outside fronts. Tires are inflated 60psi Front/80psi in Rear. Not sure what else I can do, Tire Rack told me to contact my dealership and/or increase the tire pressure in the front tires slightly.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: New tires wearing the outside fronts just like the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bfg2500 View Post
    I recently purchased a set of LT275/70R18 Goodyear Duratrac tires to replace the Firestone Transforce HT's on my Ram 2500 and I noticed today the front outsides of the tires are wearing faster than the rears again. They have been on the truck for only a few weeks(<600 miles) and I had the alignment checked a few days after they were installed and everything was good within range. I had this same problem with the Firestone tires that came on the truck and I only got 20,000 miles out of those before the dealer told me last oil change that I only had 4/32 of tread left on them. Now with the new Goodyear's I've got the same problem showing, wearing the outside fronts. Tires are inflated 60psi Front/80psi in Rear. Not sure what else I can do, Tire Rack told me to contact my dealership and/or increase the tire pressure in the front tires slightly.
    Look up Thuren fabrications alignment specs, he’s found specs that are to be better than the stock specs. Also if your running unloaded, I run my tires 65 up front and 45 in the rear, also recommended by Thuren. I don’t have any wear issues and the ride is much smoother.

2016 3500 CCLB AS69RC 3:42 | MM3 Tuned by DoubleRDiesel | 5" Flopro TBE | Thuren 1.75” Springs | Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks | Thuren Adjustable Track Bar | S&B CAI | Airlift Airbags |

2016 3500 SRW CCLB 3:42 AS69RC. 5" Flopro straight pipe, MM3 tuned by DoubleRDiesel. Plans for a 700+hp daily driver.

3. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I actually was just reading through the Thuren Fab alignment specs. I currently have 3/32 Total Toe or 0.0937 which is outside Thuren's 0.00 - 0.05 spec for Total Toe. As for tire pressures, my '16 starts to cry when I run outside of the 60/80psi TPMS pressures, running 45 in the rear won't fly

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7 in Black Forest Green, RaceME MM3 tuned by Ray @ Double R Diesel, WCFab FMW S467.7/83 .90A/R & Steed Speed Manifold 2nd Gen Swap, Flo-Pro 5" Straight Pipe w/FTE Diesel Resonator, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intake Manifold, Pusher 3.5" MEGA Intercooler Tubes, DBALL2 Remote Starter, PIAA 85115 Superior Deep Bass Horns, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED Low/High beams, Bilstein 2.3" Level w/5100's all around, Thuren Adjustable Front Track Bar, ARP CA625+ Head Studs, RevMax 68RFE High Performance Towing/HD Valve Body, RevMax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Bypass.

5. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I'd have another company put it on the machine and check. Plus check if there is play in the front end for worn/loose parts.
    This is defiantly wrong. Heck, I run 65 front / 70 rear pressure (unloaded) and get WAY more miles out of tires.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I actually was just reading through the Thuren Fab alignment specs. I currently have 3/32 Total Toe or 0.0937 which is outside Thuren's 0.00 - 0.05 spec for Total Toe. As for tire pressures, my '16 starts to cry when I run outside of the 60/80psi TPMS pressures, running 45 in the rear won't fly
    Ya I would get your alignment specs in order and then run your front tires at your cold psi rating and your rears 20psi less. Mine are 65/45 because my tires are rated at 65 and I had my TPMS threshold reset so no lights. You should be able to get away with 80/60 if your still running the stock settings.

2016 3500 CCLB AS69RC 3:42 | MM3 Tuned by DoubleRDiesel | 5" Flopro TBE | Thuren 1.75” Springs | Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks | Thuren Adjustable Track Bar | S&B CAI | Airlift Airbags |

2016 3500 SRW CCLB 3:42 AS69RC. 5" Flopro straight pipe, MM3 tuned by DoubleRDiesel. Plans for a 700+hp daily driver.

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I don’t believe your alignment is even close to being correct if your wearing out tires that fast something wrong with your suspension or maybe Track bar or something else going on

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

So, got some more information. I take my truck back to the alignment shop, guy loads it up on the rack and starts checking everything out again to see if the alignment or anything might have changed. He grabs the top and bottom of both front wheels and we both hear an audible clicking noise and the sound can be felt through the wheel. He suggests that both front wheel bearing are going bad and that he doesn't want to go any further or change the alignment specs to Thuren's spec until I bring it to my dealership and have them check/replace the wheel bearings, mind you the truck only has 21,000 miles and the tires have about 500 miles and continue to wear. Dealership calls me they had three different techs and the shop manager all check out the wheel bearing/tie rods/ball joints and everything is good and tight, no issue with wheel bearings at all. I ask the service manager about the wheel bearings as I've read about them needing to be replaced often by other owners of the same truck and he says that they overstock wheel bearings in the shop because they replace them often. WHY????? So I guess I'll continue to wear out my front tires and then wear out the rear tires as I start to rotate them in about 2000 more miles. Should I have the alignment shop set to Thuren's spec or just let the tires ruin themselves and have my friend who's a chrysler rep get me new tires every 20,000 miles?

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BraedenDore View Post
    Ya I would get your alignment specs in order and then run your front tires at your cold psi rating and your rears 20psi less. Mine are 65/45 because my tires are rated at 65 and I had my TPMS threshold reset so no lights. You should be able to get away with 80/60 if your still running the stock settings.

You can’t get away with 80/60 psi on TPMS 64 and 65 psi and have low pressure always on my tpms no lower then 70 psi on TPMS to get no low pressure indicator unless you’ve had it reset

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

10. Likes BraedenDore liked this post