Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat?

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thermostat?

So I'm looking to throw a new thermostat in my 12 valve, does anyone know of any brands I should or should not buy? I thought about just going to get what ever replacement autozone had stocked but I was told I need to do my research and make sure I buy a good one.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another thing, when I google thermostats I see these thermostats by Cummins that come up for $49 but on rock auto I can get one, for example Gates makes one for $12, autozone told me theirs was $9 and the gasket was $2 or something, I never asked what brand it was. I'm a little confused as to what I should be even looking for.

2. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Thermostat?

I don't have personal experience yet, but I've heard good things about Gates 180° thermostat. Genosgarage.com sells them and everybody here says really good things about them too, plus Geno's supports this forum.

2015 Ram 2500 with a majestic 6.7 Cummins and 68RFE. Fully deleted with MM3 and tunes from DoubleRDiesel. 5" Flo-Pro exhaust. S&B cold air intake. Custom sound system by Me. Proud American.

3. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The big plus for the Cummins Tstat is if they fail, they fail in the open position. Many of the aftermarket ones fail, they fail in the closed position. That said I run a Gates. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes WyomingHunter, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

What is it about the Cummins tstats that makes them fail in the open positions?

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattynite View Post
    So I'm looking to throw a new thermostat in my 12 valve, does anyone know of any brands I should or should not buy? I thought about just going to get what ever replacement autozone had stocked but I was told I need to do my research and make sure I buy a good one.. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Another thing, when I google thermostats I see these thermostats by Cummins that come up for $49 but on rock auto I can get one, for example Gates makes one for $12, autozone told me theirs was $9 and the gasket was $2 or something, I never asked what brand it was. I'm a little confused as to what I should be even looking for.
    Use Gates or Cummins OEM only don’t buy no **** from auto parts store buy from Genos Garage or Clayton from DDP

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes WyomingHunter, david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Over the years I listen to many talk about this. There are several Thermos out there and I personally buy Cummins only. Seems many have complained with the temps swinging widely compared to their original stat. So after buying one from AutoZone, (or was it another one) then NAPA, and the swing was large but in the safe zone, I went back to Cummins and it responded like the original temps. So on this, I'd say Cummins brand. But you much be willing to soend a few extra bucks.

Also, I use to change the stat every coolant change on past vehicles .. is this really needed ? If the stat checks out fine with doing a boiling water check, do you really need a new one ? I know of one friend with an '03 and still the original stat. He just changes out the gasket when he check the movement in boiling water. He says if there is a question in movement, it will be changed then.

Just food for thought.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I've used Stant replacements in almost every vehicle I've owned and haven't been disappointed, yet...

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

12. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Mishimoto or cummins in my book! I have seen alot of good luck with these but they are a little more expensive. Most of the time the cheaper ones from the auto parts store don't like to last like stated above.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Ive been looking for a 190 degree tstat for my 97 with no luck.. Cummins doesn't make one. The 190 for the 24v doesn't fit I'm told..

I guess I have to live with the 180

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

@rebar have you called Dude's Diesel Performance or Genos Garage and asked ?
    They are a sponsors here and you can PM them to dee if they can get one.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

18. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast