Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Still not right

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Still not right

Hey guys, sorry I haven’t been on much, had a lot going on in my life and haven’t had much time. However, in the past I asked about my truck, 2004 5.9l cummins, and it’s shutting off issues. It is a true 04 305 hp. So the deal is you start it up and it dies. Like it’s not getting fuel. I took it to a highly recommended certified mechanic in my area, and he told me oh, your fan clutch is bad. So I changed it. Unless the brand new fan clutch (I refuse to buy cheap auto store parts so highly unlikely but possible) is bad, the issue runs deeper. The code before installing the fan clutch was PO483 and now with all codes cleared and the new fan clutch installed, I’m getting the same PO483 as well as PO480. Any suggestions? The truck is still shutting off at idle but will run like a champ as soon as it gets some juice put to it. My guess is the safety feature to keep it from overheating is cutting the fuel, but I’ve never had an overheating issue, she runs about 195 F all the time. I just don’t know where to start trouble shooting to see where the problem actually is, the entire cooling system works fine so my guess is electrical somewhere along the line. Thank you for your input, any and all help is always appreciated,
    James

PS, truck has a smarty touch, pusher Intake, s&b cold air, 4” Flo pro,

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Still not right

Quote Originally Posted by KiloCummins04 View Post
    Hey guys, sorry I haven’t been on much, had a lot going on in my life and haven’t had much time. However, in the past I asked about my truck, 2004 5.9l cummins, and it’s shutting off issues. It is a true 04 305 hp. So the deal is you start it up and it dies. Like it’s not getting fuel. I took it to a highly recommended certified mechanic in my area, and he told me oh, your fan clutch is bad. So I changed it. Unless the brand new fan clutch (I refuse to buy cheap auto store parts so highly unlikely but possible) is bad, the issue runs deeper. The code before installing the fan clutch was PO483 and now with all codes cleared and the new fan clutch installed, I’m getting the same PO483 as well as PO480. Any suggestions? The truck is still shutting off at idle but will run like a champ as soon as it gets some juice put to it. My guess is the safety feature to keep it from overheating is cutting the fuel, but I’ve never had an overheating issue, she runs about 195 F all the time. I just don’t know where to start trouble shooting to see where the problem actually is, the entire cooling system works fine so my guess is electrical somewhere along the line. Thank you for your input, any and all help is always appreciated,
    James

PS, truck has a smarty touch, pusher Intake, s&b cold air, 4” Flo pro,
    Have you checked the lift pump yet? O4 might be in the tank. I believe, somewhere late in 03 they went in tank with in tank. Otherwise it's external on the back of the filter housing. The CP3 will draw some fuel but the two aren't related. The truck doesn't shut down on over heat that I aware of. I don't believe oil pressure either.

I had this in my 03 truck when I first got it too. Nobody knew what was wrong with it. But I did. It's in the FSM. It was a bad TPS. There's another thread running at this time about a similar over heating problem. May not be related.

You have 2 TPS sensors. They're under that funny looking black box on the engine driver side. All the trucks have 2. one is a back up to prevent runaways, and it's a fail safe to keep you going. But one of them also controls the fans. Have you checked the wiring going to the fan hub? However, I'm thinking you have a bad spot in the TPS in the idle position. It doesn't show with a regular surface scan. I found the issue with my Autoenginuity scanner. It goes deeper. So the question is, does the truck run hotter than usual anytime?

How long has this been going on?

195 huh? I wish I could get mine over 185.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Have you checked the lift pump yet? O4 might be in the tank. I believe, somewhere late in 03 they went in tank with in tank. Otherwise it's external on the back of the filter housing. The CP3 will draw some fuel but the two aren't related. The truck doesn't shut down on over heat that I aware of. I don't believe oil pressure either.

I had this in my 03 truck when I first got it too. Nobody knew what was wrong with it. But I did. It's in the FSM. It was a bad TPS. There's another thread running at this time about a similar over heating problem. May not be related.

You have 2 TPS sensors. They're under that funny looking black box on the engine driver side. All the trucks have 2. one is a back up to prevent runaways, and it's a fail safe to keep you going. But one of them also controls the fans. Have you checked the wiring going to the fan hub? However, I'm thinking you have a bad spot in the TPS in the idle position. It doesn't show with a regular surface scan. I found the issue with my Autoenginuity scanner. It goes deeper. So the question is, does the truck run hotter than usual anytime?

How long has this been going on?

195 huh? I wish I could get mine over 185.
    And I see you are a supporting member. you should be able to find the service manial here for download somewhere. I forget where they got stashed. @KiloCummins04

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Try this, bump the starter but do not start and wait about 10 seconds to run the fuel pump, then crank the engine. If it starts and stays running check the fuel pump.

Have you tried pulling the battery cables for about 30 mins to try and reset the anti theft?

Also hows the fuel filter?

We will get ya straightened out one way or another bud!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Likes walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys, fuel filter has less than 300 miles. Truck never gets to 200 but she likes to run about 190-198 whether I’m towing or not, maybe because it’s so hot here in florida? And I will check all that wiring, fan hub is brand new, but today I will reset the truck with the batteries and try the starting thing. We bought this second truck because my 04.5 is so good to me. But I want to actually enjoy driving it again. The truck runs great as long as you’re giving it fuel, and once it warms up it does idle just not smoothly. If it’s the fuel pump, great because I have a brand new fass system I just haven’t installed. But tps is also likely, sometimes when it tries to die and I try to accelerate to save it, it doesn’t do anything at all

9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Also, the truck does have in tank lift pump and doesn’t overheat ever. Now that I heard tps I’m gonna try some of the stuf and see what happens. It’s been doing this on and off For about 5-6 months. But now it’s consistent. Before it would happen once a week or once a month now it’s almost every time I drive. Have been chasing this problem that long

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

So to update, I disconnected the batteries for well over 30 minutes with no luck, tried bumping it, waiting 10 seconds and then starting and still died. My only thing with it being the fuel pump is that I would think there would be more demand on the pump while accelerating than idling and it accelerates like normal, no hesitation except the occasional hesitation leaving idle. The tps is definitely making sense. I’ve cleaned the mass air flow and all those other sensors with appropriate cleaner and replaced them.

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I’m not sure how many of you guys are still following this but this may help people in the future. After a little diagnosing, which I’m still not entirely sure, I know that my TPS is at 0.44v at idle, and it’s supposed to be at about 1V from what I can gather, please correct me if I’m wrong. The odd thing is, I got another P0483 code today. The other odd thing is that if you unplug the engine coolant temp sensor, the temp still reads the same, not sure if there is a secondary sensor but in my experience if you unplug an ECT the temp either shoots up or goes way down as far as the values you get. So the next step is to check the tps voltage at the sensor, and then go through and troubleshoot the wiring for the cooling system. Hoping I find something soon, for now my guess is something electrical in the cooling system is telling it to cut the fuel. Also, the fan speed from what I can find, at idle is supposed to be +/- 100 rpm of the engine, mine sits at 220rpm at idle with an engine idle if 760-770. Of I can figure it out I’ll upload some of the data from my scanner, I have a snap-on Solus ultra. Thank you guys for the help

13. Thanks Power247 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, Power247, WyomingHunter liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KiloCummins04 View Post
    I’m not sure how many of you guys are still following this but this may help people in the future. After a little diagnosing, which I’m still not entirely sure, I know that my TPS is at 0.44v at idle, and it’s supposed to be at about 1V from what I can gather, please correct me if I’m wrong. The odd thing is, I got another P0483 code today. The other odd thing is that if you unplug the engine coolant temp sensor, the temp still reads the same, not sure if there is a secondary sensor but in my experience if you unplug an ECT the temp either shoots up or goes way down as far as the values you get. So the next step is to check the tps voltage at the sensor, and then go through and troubleshoot the wiring for the cooling system. Hoping I find something soon, for now my guess is something electrical in the cooling system is telling it to cut the fuel. Also, the fan speed from what I can find, at idle is supposed to be +/- 100 rpm of the engine, mine sits at 220rpm at idle with an engine idle if 760-770. Of I can figure it out I’ll upload some of the data from my scanner, I have a snap-on Solus ultra. Thank you guys for the help
    Good info glad you got it figured out good job

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I’m still not sure what it is man I have just isolated it to the cooling system, and I know it’s not the fan clutch. Fan is definitely more active and pronounced since the install but the truck hasn’t overheated at all. That’s the weirdest part