Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cooling issues

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

cooling issues

2011 ram 2500, 6.7 cummins, fully deleted, mild raceme jr. tune, Ok heres my problem: A while back my coolant temps went all the way to 245 and the temp light came on then after a second it went away. It didn't do it again for a while so I though nothing of it. Well it did it again a couple weeks later and not too long after that it did it and stayed around 220 or 230 for a good couple minutes until I guess the thermostat opened and it went down to like 190. Also I noticed when you turn the truck off you can hear the coolant bubbling into the overflow tank on the passenger side. Given these symptoms I decided to replace the thermostat and see what happens so I did that with a 180 thermostat and once I got the system burped it did great for a few days but could still hear the bubbling on the passenger side when you turn the truck off but the coolant was staying at 180 so I was happy. Well a couple days ago I was sitting in a parking lot with the truck idling for probably 10-15 minutes then shut it off. well when I went to leave a few hours later after about 15-20 minutes of driving down the interstate it overheated and was not cooling down so I parked it at the nearest gas station and came back for it a few hours later after it cooled and went to check the coolant level and I added almost a gallon of distilled water to it so it appears that when I was sitting in the parking lot it must have boiled off most of the coolant causing it to get hot. Some people are saying it might be a fan clutch causing it not to cool others suggested it might be the water pump not circulating the coolant enough. just looking for suggestions before I spend a bunch of money chasing this problem.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: cooling issues

Head gasket I'm guessing
    Time for studs

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2015 Black Laramie CCSB 3500 SRW. Thuren Leveled With Fox 2.0 Shocks. Ride Rite Rear Air Bags With Wireless Airlift Onboard Air. 35" Toyos. All The Options Minus The Soot Cookers. RaceMe Ultra.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Definitely sounds like it... Have ya checked the oil for any signs of water or milkiness? I know getting that hot it may just evaporate but some may have gotten in there to help confirm.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I though head gasket to but I have no fuel in the coolant, no water/ milky oil, not even gaining any oil!

5. Top Of Page | #5

I'm no mechanic, but if not the head gasket, I would first wonder if my rad was plugged partially or not getting air through, then thermostat, then pump, then fan. In that order. Just for the record, that pump costs about $35. Not sure on the clutch fan.

2015 Ram 2500 with a majestic 6.7 Cummins and 68RFE. Fully deleted with MM3 and tunes from DoubleRDiesel. 5" Flo-Pro exhaust. S&B cold air intake. Custom sound system by Me. Proud American.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Agreed with everyone’s opinions and answers sounds correct to me good luck getting it fixed

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WyomingHunter View Post
    I'm no mechanic, but if not the head gasket, I would first wonder if my rad was plugged partially or not getting air through, then thermostat, then pump, then fan. In that order. Just for the record, that pump costs about $35. Not sure on the clutch fan.
    I'm seeing Mopar water pumps on rockauto for $205 Canadian :-/

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

8. Top Of Page | #8

Quote Originally Posted by CanDiesel View Post
    I'm seeing Mopar water pumps on rockauto for $205 Canadian :-/

Sorry, you're correct. $70 US for a Gates pump which I've heard plenty good things about. Not sure where I saw a $35 pump...
    https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...291/water-pump

2015 Ram 2500 with a majestic 6.7 Cummins and 68RFE. Fully deleted with MM3 and tunes from DoubleRDiesel. 5" Flo-Pro exhaust. S&B cold air intake. Custom sound system by Me. Proud American.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I didn't want to be right haha. For $30 I was thinking I'd buy a spare and keep it in the truck

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

10. Top Of Page | #10

I think I was counting my $35 reimbursement if I had replaced the defective pump myself, but luckily got one on recall.

Jas, any updates?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast