Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  203
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who All Is Running A Coolant Filter?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Who All Is Running A Coolant Filter?

I've been back and forth on this topic for a while now.

On one hand it seems like a complete waste of money.

On the other hand it seems like a relatively cheap investment which may or may not help the long term health of the engine.

I'm after looking at the photos and watching the YouTube clips of guys pulling apart their coolant filters and showing how much crap they have gotten out of their block.

I am all for that, just makes sense to eliminate all that debris from the coolant circuit, but would a drain and fill or a coolant flush not get rid of most of it anyway?

I'm right on the fence and I just wanted to see what opinions are out there.

Also curious how many folks are actually running one.

Thanks eh?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Subscribed for info also awaiting answers

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Looks like Cummins has some information on it.

They state that the #1 reason for coolant filtration is for water pump life.

Some good reading here:

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/coolantfiltration

I'm still not sold on adding a coolant filter to our engines.

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken @AnOldBiker has one and can explain to you his real world finding with it.

I think you will be very pleased with his answer as well!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

There are two reasons I have a coolant filter system on my truck and promote it to anyone that wants to know.

When they make the engine, they sand cast it and the end process is to high pressure clean it. But one of the issue is they can't get all the sand out. Sand can be in the surface of the metal. Then during the normal running if the engine, with the expansion and contraction of the block, over time, the sand will come loose and flow with the coolant. When this hits parts like the water pump, it gets ground down to smaller particles and acts like an abrasive material to the pump impeller and bearings.

And when you put the inlet for the coolant filter system inbetween #5 and #6 cylinder, you actually increase the flow of coolant to the back of the engine block where it is naturally a lesser flow and hotter than the rest of the engine.

And as a bonus, if you forget the filter and let's say it plugs, nothing will happen, you back to a stock flow until you change it.

The first time I installed the unit, I change the filter after 6 months and then at the one year mark. No, there wasn't a mass amount of debris in the filter. But there was a few pieces. And I change the filter each year and have found a few pieces of debris in each filter. This doesn't amount to something like a teaspoon on material, but material that can be ground down and over time wear parts out. (I found material in the filter last summer, and at that time my truck was 12 years old) This, even though I flush and change coolant every other year. In my eyes, it is doing what it was installed to do ... clean loose debris and helps cools the rear of the block.

Do you need this on your truck .. NO.
    Will it benefit your truck over time .. I believe so after what I've seen.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    There are two reasons I have a coolant filter system on my truck and promote it to anyone that wants to know.

When they make the engine, they sand cast it and the end process is to high pressure clean it. But one of the issue is they can't get all the sand out. Sand can be in the surface of the metal. Then during the normal running if the engine, with the expansion and contraction of the block, over time, the sand will come loose and flow with the coolant. When this hits parts like the water pump, it gets ground down to smaller particles and acts like an abrasive material to the pump impeller and bearings.

And when you put the inlet for the coolant filter system inbetween #5 and #6 cylinder, you actually increase the flow of coolant to the back of the engine block where it is naturally a lesser flow and hotter than the rest of the engine.

And as a bonus, if you forget the filter and let's say it plugs, nothing will happen, you back to a stock flow until you change it.

The first time I installed the unit, I change the filter after 6 months and then at the one year mark. No, there wasn't a mass amount of debris in the filter. But there was a few pieces. And I change the filter each year and have found a few pieces of debris in each filter. This doesn't amount to something like a teaspoon on material, but material that can be ground down and over time wear parts out. (I found material in the filter last summer, and at that time my truck was 12 years old) This, even though I flush and change coolant every other year. In my eyes, it is doing what it was installed to do ... clean loose debris and helps cools the rear of the block.

Thank ya bud! As always a perfect detailed answer!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Thanks AnOldBiker thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for the reply, makes sense to me. If having a filter saves one water pump over the life of the truck it more then pays for itself.

Do you have any pictures of your set up? Did you go with a kit from Sinister or make your own?

I know on the 5.9s guys were taking the flow from between cylinder 5/6. On the 6.7s it looks like it comes from an extra port on the block, I'm not going to pretend I know why that port is there.

I plan on having classic car plates on my truck some day, so its this kindbof stuff that peaks my interest. Thanks again for the information.

9. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I don't remember where I put the write-up since I did one for a friend for his '05, but I did find a picture I had that shows it installed.

I bought a filter head, but my friend bought it threw NAPA.

I had a piece of aluminum that I heated and bend, drilled the holes to mount. I took a plug out between #5 and #6 cylinder and screwed in the fitting to attach the hose.

Ran the hose to the filter, then cut the hose from the heater core to the radiator and Tee'd in there.

There are valves for the inlet and outlet to isolate the filter making it easier to pull the filter, prefill it than install where it takes only a few ounces of coolant to cap the system off, and easy to get to the filter.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I don't remember where I put the write-up since I did one for a friend for his '05, but I did find a picture I had that shows it installed.

I bought a filter head, but my friend bought it threw NAPA.

I had a piece of aluminum that I heated and bend, drilled the holes to mount. I took a plug out between #5 and #6 cylinder and screwed in the fitting to attach the hose.

Ran the hose to the filter, then cut the hose from the heater core to the radiator and Tee'd in there.

There are valves for the inlet and outlet to isolate the filter making it easier to pull the filter, prefill it than install where it takes only a few ounces of coolant to cap the system off, and easy to get to the filter.

Looks like a real clean install.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm leaning toward getting a sinister kit.

Thanks again!

12. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Give @Dude's Diesel Performance a check.

He might be able to help ya out.

Jim

14. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl, Murph liked this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast