Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
There are two reasons I have a coolant filter system on my truck and promote it to anyone that wants to know.

When they make the engine, they sand cast it and the end process is to high pressure clean it. But one of the issue is they can't get all the sand out. Sand can be in the surface of the metal. Then during the normal running if the engine, with the expansion and contraction of the block, over time, the sand will come loose and flow with the coolant. When this hits parts like the water pump, it gets ground down to smaller particles and acts like an abrasive material to the pump impeller and bearings.

And when you put the inlet for the coolant filter system inbetween #5 and #6 cylinder, you actually increase the flow of coolant to the back of the engine block where it is naturally a lesser flow and hotter than the rest of the engine.

And as a bonus, if you forget the filter and let's say it plugs, nothing will happen, you back to a stock flow until you change it.

The first time I installed the unit, I change the filter after 6 months and then at the one year mark. No, there wasn't a mass amount of debris in the filter. But there was a few pieces. And I change the filter each year and have found a few pieces of debris in each filter. This doesn't amount to something like a teaspoon on material, but material that can be ground down and over time wear parts out. (I found material in the filter last summer, and at that time my truck was 12 years old) This, even though I flush and change coolant every other year. In my eyes, it is doing what it was installed to do ... clean loose debris and helps cools the rear of the block.

Do you need this on your truck .. NO.
Will it benefit your truck over time .. I believe so after what I've seen.
Great info thanks for sharing bud