Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  203
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who All Is Running A Coolant Filter?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    There are two reasons I have a coolant filter system on my truck and promote it to anyone that wants to know.

When they make the engine, they sand cast it and the end process is to high pressure clean it. But one of the issue is they can't get all the sand out. Sand can be in the surface of the metal. Then during the normal running if the engine, with the expansion and contraction of the block, over time, the sand will come loose and flow with the coolant. When this hits parts like the water pump, it gets ground down to smaller particles and acts like an abrasive material to the pump impeller and bearings.

And when you put the inlet for the coolant filter system inbetween #5 and #6 cylinder, you actually increase the flow of coolant to the back of the engine block where it is naturally a lesser flow and hotter than the rest of the engine.

And as a bonus, if you forget the filter and let's say it plugs, nothing will happen, you back to a stock flow until you change it.

The first time I installed the unit, I change the filter after 6 months and then at the one year mark. No, there wasn't a mass amount of debris in the filter. But there was a few pieces. And I change the filter each year and have found a few pieces of debris in each filter. This doesn't amount to something like a teaspoon on material, but material that can be ground down and over time wear parts out. (I found material in the filter last summer, and at that time my truck was 12 years old) This, even though I flush and change coolant every other year. In my eyes, it is doing what it was installed to do ... clean loose debris and helps cools the rear of the block.

Do you need this on your truck .. NO.
    Will it benefit your truck over time .. I believe so after what I've seen.
    Great info thanks for sharing bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

2. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I don't remember where I put the write-up since I did one for a friend for his '05, but I did find a picture I had that shows it installed.

I bought a filter head, but my friend bought it threw NAPA.

I had a piece of aluminum that I heated and bend, drilled the holes to mount. I took a plug out between #5 and #6 cylinder and screwed in the fitting to attach the hose.

Ran the hose to the filter, then cut the hose from the heater core to the radiator and Tee'd in there.

There are valves for the inlet and outlet to isolate the filter making it easier to pull the filter, prefill it than install where it takes only a few ounces of coolant to cap the system off, and easy to get to the filter.

Attachment 6349
    Sweet setup very well done looks really good

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Give @Dude's Diesel Performance a check. He might be able to help ya out.
    Thank you my friend!

Very much appreciated for the recommendation.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

This looks like a good idea, @Dude's Diesel Performance.

Is there a kit for the 2013 - 2018 engines or is it the same as 2012?

Clayton, PM me a price?

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

7. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    This looks like a good idea, @Dude's Diesel Performance.

Is there a kit for the 2013 - 2018 engines or is it the same as 2012?

Clayton, PM me a price.
    Yes sir will do!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #16
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Ok, I'm sorry for dragging this on, but I found a write up for anyone that wants to look at it.
    It's for my '06, and for my friend that has an '05 .. so it isn't one heck of a lot of help for your newer 4th gens.
    For my home made job .. it's what I did.
    In the .pdf form it's to big as in 17 megs, so to transport I had to .zip a html file.

Attached Files Attached Files

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Likes CanDiesel, watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Does anyone happen to know if getting more coolant to cylinder 5 and 6 is still an issue with the 6.7s?

I am admittedly clueless with this issue assure from reading a few threads on the subject. But if it's still an isssue with the 6.7 then there could be even more reason to add a filter setup.

I've read through the sinister install sheets and I don't see how taking coolant flow from the middle of the block and returning it to the vent could help get more coolant to the back of the head. In fact it seems like you could even be robbing coolant flow and worse yet the filter could end up with preferntial flow..? Maybe I'm missing something.

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I'm not knowledable of the 6.7's, but every Cummins I've known, there is a higher temp in the back of the engine. Hopefully someone with the 6.7 will chime in soon.

But after reading the Sinister write-up, it seems it's more for convenience pulling flow from the center of the block than anything else.

I do question the frame installation with all that hose length near the exhaust system.

As to the robbing coolant from the block, I have yet to have any problems with mine, and it's been there since '07.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

I'm not knowledable of the 6.7's, but every Cummins I've known, there is a higher temp in the back of the engine. Hopefully someone with the 6.7 will chime in soon.

But after reading the Sinister write-up, it seems it's more for convenience pulling flow from the center of the block than anything else.

I do question the frame installation with all that hose length near the exhaust system.

As to the robbing coolant from the block, I have yet to have any problems with mine, and it's been there since '07.
    I thought the same about the hose actually. I'm pretty confident I could do a decent job of tucking the lines away as long as there is enough length.

I did a bit more reading on the rear cylinder temps on the 6.7 and I can't find anything concrete. All I am able to do is take note of the absense of any threads around this being an issue. Where there are "coolant bypass" kits available for the 5.9, nothing exists for the 6.7. I'm not sure what to make of that besides the 6.7s not having the same issue but idk. It makes sense that they would, unless Cummins totally redesigned water flow through the block?

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

2012 Larmie LongHorn 4x4 Crew Cab Longbed, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel, Air-Boss 67, Mega-Flo Throttle Valve Grid Heater, Sinister EGR & Cooler Delete, FloPro DPF Delete Pipe, 2 micron CAT Fuel Filter, Baldwin BF1212 Fuel/Water Sep, BD Rear Diff Cover

16. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

@Polaraco are ya back yet ?
    How 'bout your 2 cents worth on this topic ?

Jim

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast