Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  111
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine oil

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Engine oil

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    The one thing mentioned in all this and I'm very much a believer in, is on all diesels, I highly recommend looking into a oil bypass filter. It takes roughly 10% of your oil from you stock oil filter head and puts it through another filter slower allowing it to filter the oil again alowing it to clean it better and collects alot of the soot that builds in the oil. Soot can be abrasive to the engine and all the moving parts. Then it put it back into the engine a bit cleaner than it normally woud be filtered. If this filter ever gets full and stops the flow, nothing will hapen to the engine, it just keeps filtering like normal until you change it out with a new filter. Normal oil filters will filters around 30 to 40 microns. This is good for normal filtering and flow, but leaves smaller micron material and soot. (I use the Amsoil bp100 bypass filter and it filters it to around 2 microns.)

There are bypass filter system out there that are bolt on and use, but you can actually make a home made filter system of your own. Usually you can get all the parts needed via most parts stores. Most diesel engines 'use to have this as standard' by manufacture, but yeras ago they stopped to reduce weight and cost leaving it up to the buyer to install if they want. I always thought the was stupid of them, but I'm not a manufacture.

If you never put one one, it won't hurt if you change oil and filters when needed, but if you do it will help. The choice is yours. Most people who do, using lab testing of the oil, can extend the miles between oil changes. But changing filters are still important on a constant mileage.

I bought from NUC Motorsports years ago, and attached is the installation paperwork for you. They are out of business now. You can get the idea of the parts needed and set up from it. We did this for my friends Ford 6.0 truck, and modified it to fit. All parts were bought from his local NAPA auo parts store.
    Thanks for this bypass filter info looks good

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Just got 12 quarts of ams oil signature series 15-40 and filter ... buddy's a dealer gonna give it a go. Supposedly 25k with there filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #24
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmycampbell111 View Post
    Just got 12 quarts of ams oil signature series 15-40 and filter ... buddy's a dealer gonna give it a go. Supposedly 25k with there filter

Might I suggest if your doing the 25k, consider a lab sample report to conform your within specs. I know Amsoil is respected by many, but it's not a cheap engine repair if something happens. Maybe, say at 15k a test and if it returns good, then go for the gusto ... Or wait until the 25k and confirm its good to go ... and then feel better going the 25k each change. Cummins aren't cheap.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Might I suggest if your doing the 25k, consider a lab sample report to conform your within specs. I know Amsoil is respected by many, but it's not a cheap engine repair if something happens. Maybe, say at 15k a test and if it returns good, then go for the gusto ... Or wait until the 25k and confirm its good to go ... and then feel better going the 25k each change. Cummins aren't cheap.
    X2 on Cummins not being CHEAP

7. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Yeah have thought about it ... where would I send it off to and what's that cost? Yup nothing is cheap these days

8. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #27
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I use BlackStone Lab out of Fort Wayne Indiana. ( https://www.blackstone-labs.com ) The full test of everything is $35.00.

On their webpage, you can order a free kit to send in the sample, when you get it, you put in about 3 ounces of oil, fill the paperwork, add the check, mail it back which is usually under $3.00. The results are emailed to you usually the day they test it. If you have questions, you can email them or call, they are very good on answering quickly. But as I stated, this is what I use.

There are many many companies doing this out there.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

I use BlackStone Lab out of Fort Wayne Indiana. ( https://www.blackstone-labs.com ) The full test of everything is $35.00.

On their webpage, you can order a free kit to send in the sample, when you get it, you put in about 3 ounces of oil, fill the paperwork, add the check, mail it back which is usually under $3.00. The results are emailed to you usually the day they test it. If you have questions, you can email them or call, they are very good on answering quickly. But as I stated, this is what I use.

There are many many companies doing this out there.
    X2 on Blackstone
    $28 for regular test
    $10 for TBN test
    Test kits are free and include free postage if use USPS

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

11. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered a test kit from Blackstone Labs.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123