Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  111
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine oil

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Engine oil

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I run 15-40W Royal Purple in mine. Never had any issues with it and I run it in all my other vehicles I’ve owned. Best oil out there in my opinion.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel
    Thanks i’ll keep that in mind and consider it next oil change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Thanks to all of you. I have been running different brand but they all have been 5w-30.

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    This can vary by the amount of people that respond to your question.
    I now use Rotella T6 5w-40, it has proven itself by lab results ... for me, and is easy to find on the road and at home, prices are not out of this solar system, and plenty of containers volume when oil changes are needed. In the past I have used Mobil 1 5w-40 and with lab test, been happy with it. I also have friends that use about every other brand and weight configuration out there .. and swear by it. And I will admit, they have confirmed by lab results to back their claims.

I highly recommend using full sync oil, of a brand name, and by the weight recommended by your owners manual at a minimum. Then, say after 10k, send a sample into a quality lab, (I use BlackStone, but any quality lab will do) and see if the oil is in acceptable specs. The reason is: Cummins usually recommends oil changes for constant heavy loads at 7.5K and non heavy loads use at 15k. You will see if your selection is within oil specs that best protects your investment.

(just food for thought): If you will be in an area than does not have very cold weather, use the weight recommended by the manual and minimum. Now: I am an area that recommends 15w-40, but have been known to get a hair up my *** and hit the road ending in who knows what area for a few days .. plus don't knows the weather and temps at that time. So I use a 5w-40 year round without any problems. Like I said, just food for thought.

I'm sorry, I just noticed you live in .. Norway.
    Please change the 5w-40 suggestion to 0w-40. I understand it's like living inside a freezer in winter there.
    Great. A lot of good useful info in here.Seems like you got it all. Since i’m running 5w-30 i will definitely switch

5. Top Of Page | #14
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

The one thing mentioned in all this and I'm very much a believer in, is on all diesels, I highly recommend looking into a oil bypass filter. It takes roughly 10% of your oil from you stock oil filter head and puts it through another filter slower allowing it to filter the oil again alowing it to clean it better and collects alot of the soot that builds in the oil. Soot can be abrasive to the engine and all the moving parts. Then it put it back into the engine a bit cleaner than it normally woud be filtered. If this filter ever gets full and stops the flow, nothing will hapen to the engine, it just keeps filtering like normal until you change it out with a new filter. Normal oil filters will filters around 30 to 40 microns. This is good for normal filtering and flow, but leaves smaller micron material and soot. (I use the Amsoil bp100 bypass filter and it filters it to around 2 microns.)

There are bypass filter system out there that are bolt on and use, but you can actually make a home made filter system of your own. Usually you can get all the parts needed via most parts stores. Most diesel engines 'use to have this as standard' by manufacture, but yeras ago they stopped to reduce weight and cost leaving it up to the buyer to install if they want. I always thought the was stupid of them, but I'm not a manufacture.

If you never put one on, it won't hurt if you change oil and filters when needed, but if you do it will help. The choice is yours. Most people who do, using lab testing of the oil, can extend the miles between oil changes. But changing filters are still important on a constant mileage.

I bought from NUC Motorsports years ago, and attached is the installation paperwork for you. They are out of business now. You can get the idea of the parts needed and set up from it. We did this for my friends Ford 6.0 truck, and modified it to fit. All parts were bought from his local NAPA auo parts store.

Attached Files Attached Files

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Thanks i thought bypass filter was just an easier way to replace oilfilter. But this is interesting. Next mod on my list

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJohn104 View Post
    A guy I work with has a deleted ‘12 Cummins and he uses amsoil 15w-40. Convinced me to switch to it when he showed me his lab tests from the last few years and that he has around 115k miles on one oil change. He is running a bypass setup as well which I hope to install in the very near future.

Holy cow never heard of anyone going 115,000 miles on an oil change

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Holy cow never heard of anyone going 115,000 miles on an oil change
    I was skeptical at first, figured he was exaggerating until I saw the spreadsheet. This guy documents and records everything in excel and then I was sold on it LOL

2017 Ram 2500 Laramie, Taken care of by DRD, Carli Leveling Kit, RBP 94r 20x9 Wheels, and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie, too many to list...

9. Top Of Page | #18
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

If done right, it's not unusual to do 80k to 150k between each oil change. Many have done this in the past. The biggest item you MUST do is get an oil test through a qualified lab. Your oil will last a very very long time. But it's the chemicals added to the oil that will break down and through off the sample requireing changing.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

10. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsbadgirl View Post
    I take my truck to the shop for all my pm’s, they only use Schaeffers synthetic oil for those who choose synthetic, I also buy Schaeffers Diesel Treat 2000 from them.

"Cumminsbadgirl"
    2014 Cummins Mega 3500 ( Aisin ) 4X4
    MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel
    They've been around a long time and make a great product

11. Thanks cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    If done right, it's not unusual to do 80k to 150k between each oil change. Many have done this in the past. The biggest item you MUST do is get an oil test through a qualified lab. Your oil will last a very very long time. But it's the chemicals added to the oil that will break down and through off the sample requireing changing.
    That’s extremely impressive mileage runs

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

13. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast