Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Exhaust Valve Bridge Fell Off!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhaust Valve Bridge Fell Off!

My 2013 pickup started running rough a couple of days ago (more so at idle), then yesterday it was pushing white smoke on start up out the tailpipe and quit. I pulled the valve cover off and the #4 cylinder exhaust valve bridge had fallen off one of the valves. I checked for broken springs, didn't find any. I put everything back on, re-checked the valve lash on all cylinders, all were good (.010 -.020). Buttoned it up, let it idle in the carport for half an hour and drove it around the block.
    No unusual noises, but my hearing isn't the best, but a lot of black smoke when I gave it about half throttle and for lack of a better word "Pinging", like timing on a gasser.
    This morning, pulled it all off again rechecked the valve lash, everything is still as it was yesterday. Only thing I can think of is I didn't get the locking nut tight enough on the adjusting screw for the rocker when I had it apart a month ago. Anyone have a similar experience? And what is this "Pinging" sound I'm hearing?

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

2. Likes watersupply189, david3gen, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Valve Bridge Fell Off!

Man, sorry you're having trouble. Hope you can get it sorted out quickly.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Hate your having issues man! Wish I could help you but I have no clue what could be going on?

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

6. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, david3gen, AK Bob liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, me either. I'm about half scared to drive any distance.
    I did drive around town twice, all 10 streets very small town. All seems okay but a little bit of a rough idle, like a miss and that darn pinging...
    I can bolt stuff together with the best of them, I am NOT a diesel mechanic...

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

8. Likes watersupply189, Power247, AK Bob liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Man i am so sorry your having issues! Most of the time a pinging sound is caused by injectors. Usually sticking or leaking may cause this sound. Might have them tested if your able to have the truck down.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, AK Bob liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Man i am so sorry your having issues! Most of the time a pinging sound is caused by injectors. Usually sticking or leaking may cause this sound. Might have them tested if your able to have the truck down.

Thanks for pointing me in a direction, Dude. May be a little bit before I can get that done. Hopefully it won't hurt to drive conservatively for a while, have to break that new clutch in anyway...Thanks again!

12. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by walla2k5 View Post
    My 2013 pickup started running rough a couple of days ago (more so at idle), then yesterday it was pushing white smoke on start up out the tailpipe and quit. I pulled the valve cover off and the #4 cylinder exhaust valve bridge had fallen off one of the valves. I checked for broken springs, didn't find any. I put everything back on, re-checked the valve lash on all cylinders, all were good (.010 -.020). Buttoned it up, let it idle in the carport for half an hour and drove it around the block.
    No unusual noises, but my hearing isn't the best, but a lot of black smoke when I gave it about half throttle and for lack of a better word "Pinging", like timing on a gasser.
    This morning, pulled it all off again rechecked the valve lash, everything is still as it was yesterday. Only thing I can think of is I didn't get the locking nut tight enough on the adjusting screw for the rocker when I had it apart a month ago. Anyone have a similar experience? And what is this "Pinging" sound I'm hearing?
    ****, not fun.i hope you get this sorted out man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

14. Thanks walla2k5 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5, AK Bob liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Hey, did you ever figure out what caused this?

The same thing just happened to me on number 6.

16. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post