Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Upgrading Govenor spring

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Upgrading Govenor spring

CAUTION:If you intend to operate the engine over 3200 rpm, you should replace the engine valve springs with a heavy-duty type.

Estimated completion time:If you have never done this before 1.5 hours If you have done this before, expect a quicker time than the last one.

Things you will need to complete this project:
    1. 3/8" ratchet and extension 6"
    2. Medium to large flat-blade screwdriver
    3. Slim, long, flat-blade screwdriver
    4. 8mm, 6-point 1/4" or 3/8" drive socket
    5. Calipers
    6. 10mm six point socket, 3/8" drive w/extensions
    7. Pliers and Pencil magnet (A magnet is VERY helpful!!)
    8. Fender covers (optional)
    9. 8mm Allen wrench
    10. 7/16" deep socket
    11. Tape or clean towel to block openings
    12. 7/8" Socket

Cleanliness counts! Clean engine to keep debris and foreign objects from entering engine.

1. READ all the directions before doing anything.

2. Set parking brake. Automatic transmissions in park, manual transmissions in neutral.

3. Cover paint and batteries

4. Using a 7/16" deep socket, loosen lower clamp on upper intake connection hose and slide lower clamp off of hose and down the steel tube out of the way.

5. Remove the six bolts holding the air intake connection and dipstick tube in place using a 10mm 6-point socket. The bolts are different lengths. They must go back in the correct position.

6. Remove intake manifold connection and hose as a unit. The gasket must not be damaged in this process. It can be reused but must be replaced if damaged.

7. Cover the air tube and manifold openings.

8. There are three bolts holding the fuel shutoff solenoid & bracket to the injection pump, two on top of the AFC housing & one at the back of the pump. Remove these three bolts & the hairpin that holds the solenoid rod to the pump linkage.

9. After removing solenoid you will see a plug nut, using a 7/8" socket, loosen this plug nut. You will have to hold the linkage over to one side so you can get enough clearance to totally remove plug nut.

10. Bar (roll) the engine over until the governor spring adjusting nut comes into view, center it in the hole. Note the position and mark it.

11. Using the calipers, measure the distance from the top of the governor stud to the top of the governor spring adjusting nut. Record this measurement for the reassembling.

12. Remove the spring retainer and all inner springs (leave large spring in place). Remove inner spring seat assembly at the bottom of the bore and remove any shims that are installed. Check for shims stuck to the springs or seats. Do not reinstall shims as are they are no longer required. Use only the springs contained in your new kit. Do not reuse any of your original springs other than the large spring left in place at the beginning of this step.

13. Install new lower spring seat and springs. Install upper spring seat and adjusting nut. Adjust to the measurement noted at disassembly.

14. Bar engine over until opposite governor spring set is in position. Repeat steps 12-13.

15. Reinstall plugnut, fuel solenoid and bracket.

16. Remove air tube and manifold coverings.

17. Reinstall intake manifold connection and hose.

18. Start engine and check idle speed. A variation of plus or minus 50-60 RPM is normal and we recommend that this be adjusted using the idle screw.

2. Likes SilverFatBoy liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Instagram Manager IG Operations's Avatar

User Info Menu

So basically if you plan on red lining to squeeze every bit of power and torque from each gear this is wise

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

the governor spring is an upgrade. I recommend first modifying your throttle linkage, (write up comming soon) it gives more travel and a snappier response. then if you want more rpm this is an option.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

5. Likes SilverFatBoy liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I need to do something about mine. Kinda sluggish but it is a dually ai

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Mine isn't sluggish and its mostly stock. tune the pump, though I don't recommend doing yourself the first time.

I also recommend getting rid of all of your codes before doing any mods.

Last edited by F350Cummins; 07-16-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

6 in a row makes her go

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    Mine isn't sluggish and its mostly stock. tune the pump, though I don't recommend doing yourself the first time.

I also recommend getting rid of all of your codes before doing any mods.
    LOL agreed. I might try a new wastegate... I reset them and the only one coming back is the turbo relief so idk I'm Gunna go get a diag tonight

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

and as one of the other guys said it sounds like you are in limp mode.... Fix that first.

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

10. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Well how do I get out of limp mode? I thought the wastegate would relieve limp mode? I'm lost. Xdp said possibly ECM problem.... Which is NOT cool

11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I only have a 93 PCM can't help you there

2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty

6 in a row makes her go

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I only have a 93 PCM can't help you there
    Did you end up doing a wrote for throttle linkage?

Tag us @ #igotacummins_com to have your photos reposted.