Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  17

Thread: Topper Fit

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Topper Fit

Hey Guys looking at a top of the line ARE topper I found on craigslist. It is off a 2013 regular cab short bed 1500. I am wanting to put it on a 2018 crew cab short bed 2500. I know the beds are the same my concern is the back of the cab. Does anyone know if the back of the cabs are the same.

2. Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Topper Fit

Can't help ya there. But when my younger brother was getting one used, he went to the shells webpage and looked it up to see if the two years had the same shell part number. It confirmed it would fit. Just a thought if no one knows.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I don’t think the design of the back of the cabs from on the 13-18 years on the single to crew cabs are any different. If the beds are the exact same then it should fit. I could be wrong but looking at my sons single cab and my crew cab they look the same to me.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

5. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Well, I was able to talk to a knowledgeable dealer and to ARE. They both said that there is a slight angle difference between a single cab and a crew cab. I knew something wasn't right when we put it on the truck the fit or gap at the back of the cab was off and did not look right it was tight at the top and bigger at the bottom. Which then causes the rear glass not to line up perfect on the tailgate.

Hopefully, that info will help anyone looking at used toppers from purchasing the wrong one. I was lucky the guy selling it was nice enough to let me fit it on the truck prior to buying it. Then when it didn't fit quite right was ok with me doing this research. It is nice to know there are still decent people out there.

Boy that stinks it was a really smoking deal on the top of the line-topper. Oh well, the search continues.

Anyone looking for a Z series ARE topper for a Regular Cab 6.4" bed in mineral grey it is located in Hickory NC Craigslist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 Granite Crystal Laramie Sport 4x4 CCSB
    Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    American Racing ATX AX202 18x9 5"bs 35X12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    ARE Camper Top

7. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by allbizns View Post
    Well I was able to talk to a knowledgeable dealer and to ARE. They both said that there is a slight angle difference between a single cab and a crew cab. I knew something wasn't right when we put it on the truck the fit or gap at the back of the cab was off and did not look right it was tight at the top and bigger at the bottom . Which then causes the rear glass not to line up perfect on the tail gate.
    Hopefully that info will help anyone looking at used toppers from purchasing the wrong one. I was lucky the guy selling it was nice enough to let me fit it on the truck prior to buying it. Then when it didn't fit quite right was ok with me doing this research. Its nice to know there are still decent people out there.
    Boy that stinks it was a really smokin deal on the top of the line topper. Oh well the search continues.
    Any one looking for a Z series ARE topper for a Regular Cab 6.4" bed in mineral grey it is located in Hickory NC Craigslist.

Sorry it didn’t fit exactly for you. Goes to show with age my eyesight isn’t perfect looking at my two trucks. LOL I am looking at ARE “Z” series topper for my truck also.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

9. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

No worries. You can hardly tell without the topper. You could almost live with it if you didn't know how tight it was supposed to be to the cab. My bad I should have taken pictures when it was on the truck but forgot to.

Thuren 2.75 front with Fox RR/ 1.0 rear with .75 spacer and King 2.0/ Thuren frt/Rear track bars
    ARE Camper Top

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Ok guys just some more info. I have talked to both ARE and LEER. Looks like there is a difference of the angle of the back of the cab on the 3 different 1500 model trucks I know we are 2500 but it seems 80% of the used toppers are off 1500's. So hopefully this will help anyone looking.
    Yes any of the 4th gen 6.4ft length bed toppers will fit on any 4th gen truck with a 6.4ft bed its the fit at the back of the cab that will be off the angles will not be correct and not give you that fitted apearance. The only 1500 model trucks that will fit perfect on a 2500 CrewCab will be the 1500 CrewCab (which is like a unicorn with a 6.4 bed LOL...) The QuadCab or Regular cab will not match the angle of the 2500 CrewCab.
    Now on the 2500 side it looks like all those cabs are the same so any 2500 6.4ft topper should fit any 2500 truck.
    It seems like the 2500 toppers hardly become available used. I guess you 2500 guys keep swapping them over to your new trucks or the Cummins just keeps on going and no need to get rid of the topper LOL...

Again this info pertains to the 4th gen trucks I have not researched any of the other generations. Also I'm not saying it will not fit I'm saying the angle of the cab and topper will be off. So if that doesnt bother you that opens up your possibilities. But if you are concerned about the way your topper fits I hope some of this is helpfull and prevents someone from buying a topper that doesn't fit correctly.

ARE Camper Top

13. Thanks watersupply189, PullinAir thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Ok guys just some more info. I have talked to both ARE and LEER. Looks like there is a difference of the angle of the back of the cab on the 3 different 1500 model trucks I know we are 2500 but it seems 80% of the used toppers are off 1500's. So hopefully this will help anyone looking.
    Yes any of the 4th gen 6.4ft length bed toppers will fit on any 4th gen truck with a 6.4ft bed its the fit at the back of the cab that will be off the angles will not be correct and not give you that fitted apearance. The only 1500 model trucks that will fit perfect on a 2500 CrewCab will be the 1500 CrewCab (which is like a unicorn with a 6.4 bed LOL...) The QuadCab or Regular cab will not match the angle of the 2500 CrewCab.
    Now on the 2500 side it looks like all those cabs are the same so any 2500 6.4ft topper should fit any 2500 truck.
    It seems like the 2500 toppers hardly become available used. I guess you 2500 guys keep swapping them over to your new trucks or the Cummins just keeps on going and no need to get rid of the topper LOL...

Again this info pertains to the 4th gen trucks I have not researched any of the other generations. Also I'm not saying it will not fit I'm saying the angle of the cab and topper will be off. So if that doesnt bother you that opens up your possibilities. But if you are concerned about the way your topper fits I hope some of this is helpfull and prevents someone from buying a topper that doesn't fit correctly.

Thanks for that excellent write up! I think I’ll just buy new from ARE so that way I will get the correct fit.

15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing this info good looking out

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post