Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  52
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird signs before batteries died.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Weird signs before batteries died.

Just wanted to put this out there. Last month, I noticed my truck started shifting weird. (2013 fully deleted, running WARP, by Ray @DRD.) I was thinking my trans was starting to go. Then I noticed that the background on my RACEME kept disappearing and I kept getting a SD card error message. I would pop the SD card out and put it back in and my background would reappear. I figured my SD card was going bad. So on a Tuesday I worked til 7pm. Drive truck home and park in my heated garage. Wednesday AM I go out to start the truck and get absolutely no attempt to start. Gauges and radio all powered up but not even a click from the starter. I did the math and realized the batteries were 5 years old, so I put 2 new interstate batteries in it, and she fired right up. Trans went back to normal and SD card has not failed to read since. Prior to that day, the truck gave no signs of a weak battery at all. No slow starts in cold or anything like that. Apparently those weird glitches were the only warnings I'd get and I really wouldn't have attributed them to the batteries dying.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Weird signs before batteries died.

Thank you for the information my friend. This will definitely help everyone out and hopefully save alot of headaches later on.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Thank You for sharing

"Cumminsbadgirl"
    2014 Cummins Mega 3500 ( Aisin ) 4X4
    MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel

2014 CUMMINS "BADGIRL" Laramie MC 3500 (Aisin) 4X4 MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel *** EGR delete AFE CAI 4” FLO-PRO w/muffler 4" Zone lift, Federal Couragia 37’s with Black Rhinos,bed carpet kit, tail-gate assist, Retrax tunnau cover

Previous "Cummins Badgirls" :
    2006 Cummins 2500 4x4
    2012 Cummins 2500 4x4

4. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Interesting story, but 5 years on batteries ?
    I normally get around 9 to 10 years before problems.
    Interstate is a good brand, hopefully you'll gst way more than 5.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    Interesting story, but 5 years on batteries ?
    I normally get around 9 to 10 years before problems.
    Interstate is a good brand, hopefully you'll gst way more than 5.
    Yeah. Stock batteries. I'm second owner and keep in heated garage so expect more than 5 as well, but who knows what previous owner did. I suppose it's possible I had a cell go bad or something as well, but 2 new batteries solved the problem. I didn't have time to have them tested as I was having rotator cuff repaired the next day and knew lugging batteries in and out of the truck would be impossible with one arm!

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I had my right arm rotor cuff done and my prayers are with ya. Until recovered, ya feel a bit useless for a while.

Might I suggest putting a battery charger oon it and make sure it trickle charge until fully charged. I do this before I put in any new battery (if I can). Since I started this process, it seems to help the battery a heck of a lot. Plus trickle charge if not using truck any one month. Last set of batteries I change was just over 10 years old doing this. I have a non heated garage.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I had my right arm rotor cuff done and my prayers are with ya. Until recovered, ya feel a bit useless for a while.

Might I suggest putting a battery charger oon it and make sure it trickle charge until fully charged. I do this before I put in any new battery (if I can). Since I started this process, it seems to help the battery a heck of a lot. Plus trickle charge if not using truck any one month. Last set of batteries I change was just over 10 years old doing this. I have a non heated garage.
    I keep battery tenders on everything from my lawn tractor to my Challenger. The truck gets driven daily so I never saw the need for one on that but I am a firm believer in them. I got 5 years out of a Harley Battery which I thought was impressive! And as far as surgery it was really a breeze. First 2 days my arm was numb from nerve block and 2 days of Vicodin after that and I was down to motrin by day 5. Just waiting for physical therapy to start. Appreciate the concern and prayers tho!

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Your lucky. I totally tore mine and it was 5 1/2 hours in ops. I was let home friday afternoon and my doctor said he was concern because I couldn't start thearpy until monday morning. (actually started at 9amfor the 1st session). And then the next 2 months after. I think they get off torturing their patients.

Jim

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    Just wanted to put this out there. Last month, I noticed my truck started shifting weird. (2013 fully deleted, running WARP, by Ray @DRD.) I was thinking my trans was starting to go. Then I noticed that the background on my RACEME kept disappearing and I kept getting a SD card error message. I would pop the SD card out and put it back in and my background would reappear. I figured my SD card was going bad. So on a Tuesday I worked til 7pm. Drive truck home and park in my heated garage. Wednesday AM I go out to start the truck and get absolutely no attempt to start. Gauges and radio all powered up but not even a click from the starter. I did the math and realized the batteries were 5 years old, so I put 2 new interstate batteries in it, and she fired right up. Trans went back to normal and SD card has not failed to read since. Prior to that day, the truck gave no signs of a weak battery at all. No slow starts in cold or anything like that. Apparently those weird glitches were the only warnings I'd get and I really wouldn't have attributed them to the batteries dying.

I like the heads up. I to have noticed my headlights go bright and dim at an idle and twice now at start up it would have a draw on the alternator and then go back up. It would this back and forth for a couple of minutes. My MM3 screen would also go bright and dark during the draw time and then everything would work fine. It was very cold out and it was not plugged in. I'm not sure if the alternator is starting to go or a battery. I guess I better figure it guick before it let's me sit somewhere I don't want to be. Thanks for the heads up and I let you know what I come up with. If anybody else has any suggestions I am open for suggestions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 SLT G56 Longbed 4x4 - DRD Warp Tuned MM3 with *** EGR Delete, Sinister Throttle Valve Delete, S&B Cold Air Filter, 5" FLO~PRO Exhaust, Autometer 3 Pod Pillar, Skyjacker Leveling Kit with Dual steering Stabilizer, Firestone airbags with Onboard Compressor, 18" XD Riot Wheels with 35"Cooper S/T MAXX, Truck USA Covers with Toolbox & Retractable Bed Cover, Marathon Camo Seat Covers.

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing this!

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

12. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Noneck, Snow Dodge liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast