Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Popping noise

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Popping noise

Ok guys new to the forum so go easy but I have a popping noise coming from what sounds like the intake and what sounds like a muffled gun shot coming out of the exhaust. I have bigger injectors “not sure the size” a red top fass pump, head studs, stainless compound turbos and a custom tune with efi live. The truck ran mint when it was first done and when wet the rear end would break loose at 75mph. In the time I was driving with a stock trans “very easy” my truck developed a popping noise that I noticed when I got my built trans back when I could lay into again. While on the hiway at about 2300 rpms it makes a crisp popping noise while laying into it. It seems like it’s in a limp mode with a tune so it definitely lost power. It has a slight skip at idle only someone that knows cummins would know it’s skipping. I’ve watched the fuel rail preassure and it seems normal and doesn’t drop off. Any ideas would be great

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Popping noise

Welcome to the family

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jcognato View Post
    Ok guys new to the forum so go easy but I have a popping noise coming from what sounds like the intake and what sounds like a muffled gun shot coming out of the exhaust. I have bigger injectors “not sure the size” a red top fass pump, head studs, stainless compound turbos and a custom tune with efi live. The truck ran mint when it was first done and when wet the rear end would break loose at 75mph. In the time I was driving with a stock trans “very easy” my truck developed a popping noise that I noticed when I got my built trans back when I could lay into again. While on the hiway at about 2300 rpms it makes a crisp popping noise while laying into it. It seems like it’s in a limp mode with a tune so it definitely lost power. It has a slight skip at idle only someone that knows cummins would know it’s skipping. I’ve watched the fuel rail preassure and it seems normal and doesn’t drop off. Any ideas would be great
    Sounds to me something is wrong with your tuning bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I would get rid of EFI live and get custom tuning from Ray at DRD and the MM3 tuner you’ll absolutely love his tunes and he’s and the MM3 tuning platform is the best in the buisness hands down end of story

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I was thinking that to but how would it just go bad? It ran awesome when it was uploaded and had no issue.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

And I went threw a local shop “Maine turbo Diesels” they use a guy out of Tennessee and his name is John.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Does sound like tuning. Have you mention this to Maine Turbo Diesels ?
    They might have the tuner re-evaluate the tune and/or do another tune to confirm accuracy.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I would definitely check back with the tuner my friend. They should be able to get ya taken care of hopefully for sure.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com