Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing on certain tunes.

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Towing on certain tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibber433 View Post
    Darn close, trying to post a pic but it won't let me .. LOL
    LOL its a bit slow to upload sometimes

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

2. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

When it comes to towing it depends on your tranny line pressure if factory and no mods its 5th and 6th gear you need to be very cautious with the clutches in there are thinner than the ones they have in mini vans..that being said even with a line pressure boost heat will cook em and once you slip a clutch you can’t unslip it! The trouble you run into is that steep grade and lugging the forced downshift and what gear gets chosen it’s risk what I’m talking about... the transmission should be the first upgrade the flex plate is a joke.. converter will balloon and od clutches and valve body accumulator plate all will fail and that’s not an if it’s a when! I would say a good triple disc,billet flex plate sonax od drum, and look at valve body the accumulator plate will fail too it’s very thin. All can fail towing with a 60 hp tune! And a lot have failed stock towing! Just something to think about.. planning a fix is a lot cheaper than repair and downtime waiting and cost because you need your truck and shop knows it! If you have mechanical knowledge a valve body mod can be done in your driveway ! With boosted line pressure the accumulator plate will fail a Transgo kit or sonnax plate and even look at sonnax anodized accumulators .. I did bd protect 68 with Transgo kit and have had good luck so far I like it it gets firmer with boost!? but I’m going with a compound set up so I have a full build going in with an Ats brace! Give this some thought! The parts added billet flex plate triple disc will make it feel like it’s got an extra 70 hp just because factory converter is that loose! It would be a good idea to put in a billet input as well it goes with lock up under high boost

Take care and God Bless

Last edited by Givmiabrke; 03-11-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Adding more info

4. Thanks Power247, Rocker thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I plan to tow on the 30hp setting with up to 17k. I may look at upgrading the trans, but for now thats not an option. I know some guys will tow on a higher HP tune, but thats where problems will come from.

2006 2500 QC Laramie 5.9 (Sold in 2016). 2017 3500 DRW CC Laramie, Loaded. MM3 tuned by DRD. 4" SS by Jamo. 68REF, 4.10 Rears. (Sold). 2018 3500 DRW Longhorn CC AISIN 4.10's. On a good health care plan by DRD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12