Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  91
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Intake Manifold upgrade - at what point is it really needed

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Air Intake Manifold upgrade - at what point is it really needed

Decreasing air intake system pressure drop is always a good idea. But when does the stock air horn become a power bottleneck you can measure on a dyno? I know, it depends. My goal is 600-650 RWHP, daily driver, occasionally towing my boat (4000 lbs) and horse trailer (6000 lbs). I'm at about 510-520 right now with the 2nd Gen swap with SX-E 366 turbo and DRD tuning. I plan to add BDI 1.5 injectors and eventually a stroked CP3 and lift pump, but that's where I HOPE to stop. I know I can easily get above 600 without a better air horn, but could it give me a noticeable (~10+ HP?) bump in power and responsiveness? It's probably a necessity when you're after big power, but that's not me. It's a relatively inexpensive upgrade, but I don't want to throw money away if I'm not going notice it.

As I was looking into this, I found the video and chart below. Banks puts a number of popular intake manifolds on an airflow test bench and turns up the flow rate until there's 10" of water pressure drop across the intake. He records the airflow at that point, and shows how many CFM it flowed above the stock intake manifold at the same pressure drop. Those are the numbers in the chart in the "CFM GAIN" column. Seems like a very legit method, unless they're not telling us something. Interesting chart though (see pic below), which is at about the 10:20 mark in the Banks video. Based on these results and the price, why would people not purchase the Banks? Maybe he's a turd? LOL. Looks like his prices went up since the video was shot. Interested in your thoughts on this as well.

Thanks guys!

My truck details in my signature.

Intake Elbow Shootout.jpg

2014 Laramie 2500 CCSB - DRD MM3 Tuning, H&S SX-E 66mm Turbo Kit (DRD Giveaway #2), RevMax VB, Goerend Low Stall Converter & Billet Input Shaft, CA625 Head Studs, Custom Offsets MKW M95 Wheels, Nitto 11.5x35-R20 Ridge Grapplers, Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrapped Rockers, Wrapped Bumpers & Grille, Thuren Springs & Swaybar, Phantom Sun Light Bar, Westin Rear Booster Pods, Retroshop HIDs & Fogs & Backup LEDs, Wireless Air Lift 5000, Flo-Pro 4" SST Exhaust, FTEDiesel 30" resonator, AMP Bed Step, Rebadged, Truxport Tonneau, Undercoated, Alpine Sub & Amp, and more. Matt 22:37, Proverbs 16:24

2. Likes Power247, Snow Dodge, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Air Intake Manifold upgrade - at what point is it really needed

Quote Originally Posted by Muskiebri View Post
    Decreasing air intake system pressure drop is always a good idea. But when does the stock air horn become a power bottleneck you can measure on a dyno? I know, it depends. My goal is 600-650 RWHP, daily driver, occasionally towing my boat (4000 lbs) and horse trailer (6000 lbs). I'm at about 510-520 right now with the 2nd Gen swap with SX-E 366 turbo and DRD tuning. I plan to add BDI 1.5 injectors and eventually a stroked CP3 and lift pump, but that's where I HOPE to stop. I know I can easily get above 600 without a better air horn, but could it give me a noticeable (~10+ HP?) bump in power and responsiveness? It's probably a necessity when you're after big power, but that's not me. It's a relatively inexpensive upgrade, but I don't want to throw money away if I'm not going notice it.

As I was looking into this, I found the video and chart below. Banks puts a number of popular intake manifolds on an airflow test bench and turns up the flow rate until there's 10" of water pressure drop across the intake. He records the airflow at that point, and shows how many CFM it flowed above the stock intake manifold at the same pressure drop. Those are the numbers in the chart in the "CFM GAIN" column. Seems like a very legit method, unless they're not telling us something. Interesting chart though (see pic below), which is at about the 10:20 mark in the Banks video. Based on these results and the price, why would people not purchase the Banks? Maybe he's a turd? LOL. Looks like his prices went up since the video was shot. Interested in your thoughts on this as well.

Thanks guys!

My truck details in my signature.

Intake Elbow Shootout.jpg

Banks is a great BS artist I had Banks on my 2 nd gen 5.9 Cummins they promised all these big horsepower and torque improvements and I got a little improvement with there kit but no where’s near what it should’ve been for the amount of money I paid for it I’ll never buy anything that says Banks on it ever again they are way over priced and over hyped

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    I’ll never buy anything that says Banks on it ever again they are way over priced and over hyped
    Yuck. Sorry that happened to you. I didn't mean to unearth old nightmares. But thank you for the input! Based on how he criticized the other designs in the video, I was expecting some negative feedback on him.

6. Likes Snow Dodge liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I don't think you unearthed old nightmares with him, just what he thinks and feels after he spent his money and found what many have, you wasted your money. I didn't get their air horn, but did their electronics and paid big bucks to have it professionally installed. Same results, no significant change. That's when I started preaching "when they say up to XX extra horse power ... zero is part of that up to". The bad part is someone has to bite the bullet and spend the money, time and energy to get the actual results. This is what the buyer has to contend with when it comes to any product sold on the market now.

So, if you get 1/2 or better than anyones claims for the product they manufacture and sell .... your a winner !

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Snow Dodge, Muskiebri, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I do not have a 67,I have a 59 with compound turbos when I put that monster ram on I did notice a difference,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Dodge View Post
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d96383103c.jpg I do not have a 67,I have a 59 with compound turbos when I put that monster ram on I did notice a difference,

Was the difference worth the money that you paid for it ? If it was you were one of the lucky ones

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

12. Likes Snow Dodge, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Was the difference worth the money that you paid for it ? If it was you were one of the lucky ones
    Yup , I guess I am one of the lucky ones

14. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Muskiebri, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

But like it said in the opening title: At what point is it really needed.

I'm still stock in most everything on my truck. It pulls everything I've thrown at it without problems and preforms exceptionally. Do I need more ? No. So when would I, or anyone need more ? It is good to have all the air going to the cylinders and no restriction for the exhaust when running. At what point is it worth spending the money for more than that ? (Outside of wanting more for the heck of it.)

And yes, in the past, I've had cars, trucks and motorcycles that I couldn't do much more in increasing horsepower and torque. Did I need it ? No ... But I sure did want it !

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

16. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Snow Dodge, Muskiebri, walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Like Mr. Jim ( Old Biker ) said, the stock one will be fine as it can move quite a bit of air flow. If and when you have some extra money to spend you can definitely go ahead and buy the intake horn. It will definitely help in moving some air flow. As far as horse power and torque numbers that is needed to do this, there really isn't one. Each truck is a little different and there is no set number that is needed to do this.

I have had some extremely good feedback from shibby engineering horns as well as the gdp ( Glacier Diesel Power ) horns. I had a GDP on my 2012 and i was quite pleased with it when i compared the stock one next to the gdp. Now granted i couldn't tell you how much it helped due to i did everything all at once. When you take the stock one off and place it next to the new one you will see a nice difference in size.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Thanks Muskiebri thanked for this post
    Likes Snow Dodge, Muskiebri, walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    It will definitely help in moving some air flow. As far as horse power and torque numbers that is needed to do this, there really isn't one. Each truck is a little different and there is no set number that is needed to do this.

I have had some extremely good feedback from shibby engineering horns as well as the gdp ( Glacier Diesel Power ) horns. I had a GDP on my 2012 and i was quite pleased with it when i compared the stock one next to the gdp. Now granted i couldn't tell you how much it helped due to i did everything all at once. When you take the stock one off and place it next to the new one you will see a nice difference in size.
    I like data. I plan to dyno test my truck, but not before and after just adding an air intake manifold. I'm guessing someone has done that though. I might call a couple of the chassis dyno shops around me that work with Cummins (my employer) to see what data (in general) they can share with us on this forum. Might be useful.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast