Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  50
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drain DEF tank after delete?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Drain DEF tank after delete?

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    I took mine out. Replaced it with an air compressor and tank.

https://i.imgur.com/Mmwc2Roh.jpg
    I like that idea, nice job! I don't think it would work for me though, too much salt used on the roads where I live. Heck, I'm the guy that throws the salt out...

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

2. Likes Power247 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Camp2SeaDoo View Post
    What did you all do after the DEF delete, did you drain the DEF tank? I'm considering draining it because I read it crystallizes if it sits too long.
    I pulled the crossmember that supports the DEF tank (it only holds the DEF tank up, nothing else) and took the tank out, emptied it, flushed with DISTILLED WATER, capped ends and put in my attic with all the other DPF/SCR/stock exhaust parts I'm saving for... Just in case! I guess you could put the tank back after flushing but I didn't. It's a 2017 2500 4x4, here is a link to the pics I took. Took me an hour and a half. Only 10 bolts- 13 mm and 15 mm, one 5/8". Each picture has a description in the info. Oh, and I started it and no codes or anything, all is fine. (MM3 with Double R Diesel lite tunes)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YwiXm1MEASsYyttq2

This of course is for my off-road only farm truck...

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Jgriz, cwendel thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

I pulled the crossmember that supports the DEF tank (it only holds the DEF tank up, nothing else) and took the tank out, emptied it, flushed with DISTILLED WATER, capped ends and put in my attic with all the other DPF/SCR/stock exhaust parts I'm saving for... Just in case! I guess you could put the tank back after flushing but I didn't. It's a 2017 2500 4x4, here is a link to the pics I took. Took me an hour and a half. Only 10 bolts- 13 mm and 15 mm, one 5/8". Each picture has a description in the info. Oh, and I started it and no codes or anything, all is fine. (MM3 with Double R Diesel lite tunes) There was one ground wire (a 10mm I think) attached to the crossmember, I put that back after reinstalling the crossmember without the tank.

Nice write-up.
    I had to put a new clutch in a couple weeks ago and did the same thing. Everything is sitting in my garage, just in case...

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

6. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes Camp2SeaDoo, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

OK...pretty straight forward on how to remove the tank. But what about the DEF filler next to the diesel filler? How do you remove that? Or did I miss something. And please, it doesn't matter why I want to remove it...I just do. I really dig that compressor setup. Awesome.

8. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

I was thinking about putting an air outlet in that location myself.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

9. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeepmanjr View Post
    OK...pretty straight forward on how to remove the tank. But what about the DEF filler next to the diesel filler? How do you remove that? Or did I miss something. And please, it doesn't matter why I want to remove it...I just do. I really dig that compressor setup. Awesome.
    I did not remove the DEF filler cap next to the diesel because it's molded into the spout assembly behind the fuel door... I guess you could cut it out of there!

11. Thanks BrentM thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

I pulled the crossmember that supports the DEF tank (it only holds the DEF tank up, nothing else) and took the tank out, emptied it, flushed with DISTILLED WATER, capped ends and put in my attic with all the other DPF/SCR/stock exhaust parts I'm saving for... Just in case! I guess you could put the tank back after flushing but I didn't. It's a 2017 2500 4x4, here is a link to the pics I took. Took me an hour and a half. Only 10 bolts- 13 mm and 15 mm, one 5/8". Each picture has a description in the info. Oh, and I started it and no codes or anything, all is fine. (MM3 with Double R Diesel lite tunes)

What did you do to cap off the ends of the electrical connecters that were open with the tank being gone?

Great write up and pics! Thank you!

2015 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, Totally Stock Cummins, ARE Z Series Canopy, Cargo Glide, Carli Backcountry 3", 35/12.5/20 Toyo AT II, Radenso XP, Console Vault, Duraflaps

13. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Msquare View Post
    What did you do to cap off the ends of the electrical connecters that were open with the tank being gone?
    Great write up and pics! Thank you!
    In the very last picture you can see that I zip tied them up as high as I could. I probably should have zipped heavy plastic bags over them also. There are probably "dummies" you can buy if you know the type of connector. I know Double R Diesel (Ray) sells some connector plugs. Now I have room for an on board compressor there for the air bags, as others have suggested!

14. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OneTon View Post
    You just need to pop the twist lock off with a hammer and a flat blade screw driver. Removal is counter-clockwise.
    Do you place the screw driver on the ring with silver tabs and try and spin that or the outer black ring, to unlock?

2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn

15. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dsoderstrom View Post
    Do you place the screw driver on the ring with silver tabs and try and spin that or the outer black ring, to unlock?
    Outer ring if I remember right - it’s like a ring on filler neck of gas can

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Likes AK Bob liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast