Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  56
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Break in additive from factory???

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Break in additive from factory???

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    First off, no there isn’t any break in additives in the oil of a new Cummins. There is nothing wrong with Mobil 1 as long as it’s the Turbo Diesel version which has the proper additives. Nothing wrong with any oil, as long as it meets the requirements and has the additives Cummins recommends. I changed the oil in my 2017 at 3000 miles. I don’t care what the hell anyone says, you need to get all the break in contamination out of that engine. The first few thousand miles produces a lot of iron and chrome contamination which is caused by the rings seating to the cylinder walls and the cam breaks in. Plus, no matter how “clean” these engine assembly plants are, there will also be silicon contamination and whatever else was on the parts during assembly. I’ve been a mechanic my entire working career, (28 years) and have built countless engines and have gone through many break in periods and I’ve never once heard of an engine not needing an early 1st oil change. Just make sure that Mobil 1 is the correct one.

The only thing in the oil field that's for sure, is nothing is for sure.......

2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 2500, Lifted, deleted, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. RevMax Enhanced 68RFE
    I have a magnet on my oil pan and on both of my oil filters. But it's kind of late now for this one. It had 68K on it when I got it, 125K now. With my setup, my oil stays clear for 6 or 7K before it starts to get cloudy. I don't know if the Archoil Friction additive has anything to do with that or not. It sure spins easier in cold weather.

When I brought Mama's car home last year, I stuck one on the pan immediately. The metal is what you have to worry about.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Just a FYI.... NAPA has Valvoline 15w40 Premium Blue on sale for $13.99 a gal.... carry on

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Good info, but the readings I wanted to see .. most had TBD.
    Good general info, but weak on info.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Md Jeff View Post
    Just a FYI.... NAPA has Valvoline 15w40 Premium Blue on sale for $13.99 a gal.... carry on
    Thanks bud for the heads up on the Valvoline Premium Blue on sale at Napa for $ 13.99 a gallon bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123