Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  56
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Break in additive from factory???

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Break in additive from factory???

I use Royal Purple 15-40 in my truck. I change mine every 8-10 thousand even though Royal Purple recommendation was every 12-15 thousand depending on excessive idling, towing etc...
    for me I’m comfortable with changing every 8-10 thousand. I’ve got 6,000 miles on this oil change now and the oil is clear that I can still read the lettering on the dipstick through the oil. Used Royal Purple for years and never had any issues.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

2. Likes 1BdKntryboy, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I use Royal Purple 15-40 in my truck. I change mine every 8-10 thousand even though Royal Purple recommendation was every 12-15 thousand depending on excessive idling, towing etc...
    for me I’m comfortable with changing every 8-10 thousand. I’ve got 6,000 miles on this oil change now and the oil is clear that I can still read the lettering on the dipstick through the oil. Used Royal Purple for years and never had any issues.

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel
    I think the EGRless and MM3 tuner is the main reason your oil stays clean. I gotta get on of those.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, watersupply189 thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN View Post
    I think the EGRless and MM3 tuner is the main reason your oil stays clean. I gotta get on of those.

Bingo!

*Ask about becoming a Lifetime Platinum Member Today*

"The grass is greener where you water it"

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Why do you think I changed it too early? It was black... I put in Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil and a strato filter. I have never heard of changing oil too early. It starts breaking down as soon as you put it in so I don't see what it could hurt. I don't care what anyone says 10K is way to long IMO.

The color of oil isn't what determines if it's time to change. It can be black as night and still great oil
    I've seen oil with 500 miles dark brown almost black

8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

I agree with everybody on this. The break in period is a little different for each diesel but was always told not to run an additive till after break in. I use Shell Rotella 15/40 in my Semi and ask my local Dodge dealer about running it my Cummins and they told me that's what they use for our changes unless told other wise by the customer. Use a good oil and don't jump back and forth with synthetic. Stay with one or the other. My Semi has 1.5 million miles on it and do oil samples to make sure everything is ok @ 15 thousand oil change intervals. I also do the same with my Cummins but change the oil at 7500 miles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2012 Ram 2500 SLT G56 Longbed 4x4 - DRD Warp Tuned MM3 with *** EGR Delete, Sinister Throttle Valve Delete, S&B Cold Air Filter, 5" FLO~PRO Exhaust, Autometer 3 Pod Pillar, Skyjacker Leveling Kit with Dual steering Stabilizer, Firestone airbags with Onboard Compressor, 18" XD Riot Wheels with 35"Cooper S/T MAXX, Truck USA Covers with Toolbox & Retractable Bed Cover, Marathon Camo Seat Covers.

9. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

First off, no there isn’t any break in additives in the oil of a new Cummins. There is nothing wrong with Mobil 1 as long as it’s the Turbo Diesel version which has the proper additives. Nothing wrong with any oil, as long as it meets the requirements and has the additives Cummins recommends. I changed the oil in my 2017 at 3000 miles. I don’t care what the hell anyone says, you need to get all the break in contamination out of that engine. The first few thousand miles produces a lot of iron and chrome contamination which is caused by the rings seating to the cylinder walls and the cam breaks in. Plus, no matter how “clean” these engine assembly plants are, there will also be silicon contamination and whatever else was on the parts during assembly. I’ve been a mechanic my entire working career, (28 years) and have built countless engines and have gone through many break in periods and I’ve never once heard of an engine not needing an early 1st oil change. Just make sure that Mobil 1 is the correct one.

The only thing in the oil field that's for sure, is nothing is for sure.......

2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 2500, Lifted, deleted, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. RevMax Enhanced 68RFE

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

10. Thanks TITAN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, TITAN, walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #17
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    First off, no there isn’t any break in additives in the oil of a new Cummins. There is nothing wrong with Mobil 1 as long as it’s the Turbo Diesel version which has the proper additives. Nothing wrong with any oil, as long as it meets the requirements and has the additives Cummins recommends. I changed the oil in my 2017 at 3000 miles. I don’t care what the hell anyone says, you need to get all the break in contamination out of that engine. The first few thousand miles produces a lot of iron and chrome contamination which is caused by the rings seating to the cylinder walls and the cam breaks in. Plus, no matter how “clean” these engine assembly plants are, there will also be silicon contamination and whatever else was on the parts during assembly. I’ve been a mechanic my entire working career, (28 years) and have built countless engines and have gone through many break in periods and I’ve never once heard of an engine not needing an early 1st oil change. Just make sure that Mobil 1 is the correct one.

2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 2500, Lifted, deleted, MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. RevMax Enhanced 68RFE
    My thoughts mimic yours. And Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel truck meets ALL the requirements. It ranks 4th behind Royal Purple, Red line and I believe Amsoil...

12. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

My thoughts mimic yours. And Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel truck meets ALL the requirements. It ranks 4th behind Royal Purple, Red line and I believe Amsoil...

Yeah, that’s good oil..... Honestly, the only oil I’ve ever seen consistent issues with is Pennzoil. Stay away from that garbage. Every engine I’ve seen running it, burns it.

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

14. Likes TITAN, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #19
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    Yeah, that’s good oil..... Honestly, the only oil I’ve ever seen consistent issues with is Pennzoil. Stay away from that garbage. Every engine I’ve seen running it, burns it.

Agree Pennzoil is garbage.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Not to send anyone away fro this forum but if you guys take a look at this link and scroll down to post #7 where the_schmoo has outlined the breakdown.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/20...-cummings.html

It will be very clear as to why I use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck. It blows the "similar priced" competition out of the water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast