Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Rear Brake Line, 2000 2500

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Question Rear Brake Line, 2000 2500

Hello, I bought a 2000 Cummins not too long ago and of course in New York the 13 year old truck has seen a lot of road salt. I just blew the rear brake line (I'm assuming it was rusted out) and it's the one that runs on the driver side along the frame next to the fuel tank. I'm wondering if this is something I should send to a shop to have repaired, or just buy the line and fluid and run it myself. I have access to a garage that has quite a few tools and probably everything necessary. I'm also wondering if I do replace it myself if I should just splice the line, or just do the whole thing if the line looks bad? Please help me.
    Thanks,
    Justin

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

When I make brake lines I just replace the whole line so its done. Then I spray it with undercoating to keep it from rusting. If you have the tools to make the line then do it yourself. You'll save a ton of money.

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Thanks jzajicek thanked for this post
    Likes jzajicek liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CRZTRBO View Post
    When I make brake lines I just replace the whole line so its done. Then I spray it with undercoating to keep it from rusting. If you have the tools to make the line then do it yourself. You'll save a ton of money.
    I agree don't mess with the brakes may need then later and they are easy to fix lines

5. Thanks jzajicek thanked for this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yup

Replace the line completely. Yes you can do it yourself. You'll have to snake the line past the fuel tank. Forget about the line that's there. it's clamped to the frame over the tank. I would tape the end before you snake it through.

If you plan on making your own lines, a good line wrench, some PB Blaster and maybe some heat will be needed. See if a double flare tool is available and then you can do a pro job. You may have to use vice grips. You may also have to either adapt or change the flare nut at the antilock module.

Wire tie to the old lines is good. Make sure you don't have anything chaifing and the line is secure at each end, especially the axel.

You can tell I've done this before. That's all that NY salt running down here to north Jorsey. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Thanks jzajicek thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the responses! I ended up buying a roll of line and sent it to my buddy who owns a shop. He did it for $40, which I'd rather pay to have done for that price than me messing with it. Great advice given though!

9. Likes 2nd Gen Domination liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Where are you in NY State?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Where are you in NY State?
    In Allegany County

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

No idea where that is. My wifes family lives in Malone area

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I just did my 97, Replace the whole line. If it was bad in one spot, its likely bad elsewhere.

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go