Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold temps, heavy black smoke, with exhaust break on start up.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Cold temps, heavy black smoke, with exhaust break on start up.

Was hunting in Ga. this past week with morning temps 19 to 21 degrees and had 2 occasions of rolling black smoke with exhaust brake on with start up idling. Let me try and put this observation to words. First I'm deleted with race me ultra and was running the 007a flash 120hp mild spool 29 max on timing. I use the exhaust brake all the time and with the ultra it's on at start up now (I like that). So in the am I get in the truck cycle key wait for grid heater to cycle off and fire her up. get out of truck and will say less than a minute goes by and the exhaust brake kicks on starts the jet engine noise which I have had before. the truck starts to go up in idle then is kind of fluctuating between higher idle and normal idle. The truck starts rolling black smoke I mean a few soot deposits speckled the ground rolling smoke. open passenger door and turn off exhaust brake and no more rolling smoke all is right with truck. turn it back on to see does it again. turn it off normal. let truck warm up a little with egt over 200 and things where fine with exhaust brake on. Had this happen twice and then just shut off exhaust brake on shut down and manually turned it on after egt where above 200 on cold starts. Never had this happen before as in south dade county it don't get that cold. So I believe the problem is a conflict with 007a tune and cold weather. Pre delete the exhaust brake even turned on at start up wouldn't kick on until after 2 minutes or so. With the ultra it kicks in right away and believe that is causing the issue of black smoke. Just loaded the 007b flash on ultra but I'm now back in south dade county florida and again it don't get that cold down here. Any body have something like his happen and does anyone know if the latest flash could be taking care of letting the truck idle for about 2 minutes before exhaust brake kicks in to help warm up engine? Thanks Ray.

2. Thanks .44mag thanked for this post
    Likes .44mag liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Cold temps, heavy black smoke, with exhaust break on start up.

From Franz or Michael maybe the same. see below

Hello RayThank you for your good description of the problem.
    Yes there is a glitch in software now and we will solve that in next update.
    As you already stated you better start truck without engaged EB now so it doesn't smoke

Thank you
    Michael

Am 08.01.2018 um 21:36 schrieb Root User:
    More than a Shop
    Hello Harry Lintner,

We received your message and we will get in touch with you soon.
    >Your contact informations

First name: Harry
    Family name: Lintner
    Company data:
    Phone:
    Mobile phone:
    Order number:
    your message: Was hunting in Ga. this past week with morning temps 19 to 21 degrees and had 2 occasions of rolling black smoke with exhaust brake on with start up idling. Let me try and put this observation to words. First I'm deleted with race me ultra and was running the 007a flash 120hp mild spool 29 max on timing. I use the exhaust brake all the time and with the ultra it's on at start up now (I like that). So in the am I get in the truck cycle key wait for grid heater to cycle off and fire her up. get out of truck and will say less than a minute goes by and the exhaust brake kicks on starts the jet engine noise which I have had before. the truck starts to go up in idle then is kind of fluctuating between higher idle and normal idle. The truck starts rolling black smoke I mean a few soot deposits speckled the ground rolling smoke. open passenger door and turn off exhaust brake and no more rolling smoke all is right with truck. turn it back on to see does it again. turn it off normal. let truck warm up a little with egt over 200 and things where fine with exhaust brake on. Had this happen twice and then just shut off exhaust brake on shut down and manually turned it on after egt where above 200 on cold starts. Never had this happen before as in south dade county it don't get that cold. So I believe the problem is a conflict with 007a tune and cold weather. Pre delete the exhaust brake even turned on at start up wouldn't kick on until after 2 minutes or so. With the ultra it kicks in right away and believe that is causing the issue of black smoke. Just loaded the 007b flash on ultra but I'm now back in south dade county florida and again it don't get that cold down here. Any body have something like his happen and does anyone know if the latest flash could be taking care of letting the truck idle for about 2 minutes before exhaust brake kicks in to help warm up engine? Thanks Ray.

Attention: This email adress was submitted to us by a customer. If you did not register with us, please feel free to contact us immediately.
    RaceME GmbH

Sankt Georgener Landesstraße 15
    5113 Sankt Georgen bei Salzburg
    E-mail: office@raceme.eu

VAT-Id: ATU67657207

4. Likes AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

@hray I'm having this issue now, did the update fix the issue? This morning happened for the second time this year. First time it happened I putmy foot the on the brake to disengage high idle, manual truck. Also about a week before the first incident, I was driving and the engine started surging the cluster showed a message for r the grid heater and exhaust brake. Only time that happened. But twice for the cold start and smoke. So not sure if I have two issues or one.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

@.44mag I haven't had the issue since I updated and was up in GA. Sept., Oct., Nov., and Jan. The Temps didn't get below 20, probably mid to upper 20s at the lowest. Did the message for grid heater/ exhaust break throw a code? Are you running a updated tune past 007a? I would check your power wire at the connection of the grid heater that it doesn't wiggle or feels loose. There have been some people that the post/bolt/nut on the grid heater has become loose and then arcing or something occurs that has led to nut/part of bolt falling off into the intake. Not trying to overly excite you but check that wire. A good percentage of the people it happened to did report a grid heater code prior to that happening but none that I recall stated surging or black smoke like your describing. Hray

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

@hray No code was thrown. Checked stud on the heater that the wire connects to, no movement that I could tell. The two mornings that it did this quirky thing it was in the low 20's. The day the message popped up I was a few miles from the house and stopped behind a school bus when it happened after the eb kicked on while waiting.

I'm gonna update my tunes and will just disconnect the wire from the battery. Have thought about deleting the grid heater any way as I normally plug the truck in when it does get in the '30s, of course, there were a few days I didn't. The days that the eb acted up or whatever.

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Got my tunes updated and don't know if the easter cold snap will be cold enough to see if its fixed or not but at least it's done so should be.

9. Likes Power247 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

@hray OK this morning it was 30 degrees when I got in my truck to leave work. I cranked the truck without waiting for the wait to start and/or preheaf. Truck started right like normal and the exhaust brake kicked on, sat for a bit and the high idle also kicked on. About 10 or so seconds after the high idle it started surging, not as bad as before but noticeable. I tapped the brake put it in gear and took off. Also got the smell, no smoke was noticed. So when I got up around lunch I disconnected the wire from the right/passenger side battery that goes to the grid heater relay. Will see what happens at 3:30 in the morning when I leave for OT work. it will be that cold again.

This is after I updated my tunes. If no issues the grid heater will be gone. If there is then I will have to make a note to turn the eb off every cold morning.

11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

@.44mag the surging your talking about are you describing electrical power IE electrical surge dim lights or a fluctuating RPM like going up in rpms and then abruptly coming back down. The other theory I had was on cold starts that having the turbo spool set at mild spool was causing it to actuate to quickly and being that it's cold out it was kind of chocking out the engine. Again I haven't had any more incidents of it. You may also want to load test your batteries as mine and others do some weird stuff when a battery is on the way out. Hray

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

@hay yes the fluctuating is rpms. Before it any where from 100 to 150 rpms. Since the update it was not as bad but noticeable. I have had the head lights flicker for a minute or so after cold start up in the past haven't noticed it in a while. I do run mild spool but will change it to economy. Will get batteries tested tomorrow while off.

This morning I did not have any issues with any thing though it didn't get quite as cold, only 40 degrees when I started my truck. EB on for warm up but no high idle and the power wire fir the grid heater was disconnected from the battery. I am still on factory batteries, knock on wood.

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

@.44mag well as long is it isn't blowing black smoke like mine did I wouldn't be to concerned about a 100 to 150 rpm flux. My understanding is the ring/nozzle combo on the turbo that increases/decreases turbo boost may fluctuate a little during high idle cold warm ups. That kind of sounds normal. it's also going to surge a little when the grid heater cycles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast