Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission in limp mode 68RFE

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transmission in limp mode 68RFE

I really need your help!! So lately my transmission has been going into Limp mode.. it basically shifts from 1st to 4th and you can't manually grab any other gear. There is no codes coming up when I scan with my mini Maxx. The truck is egr and DPF deleted. 2008 6.7 2500 any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks kris

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Transmission in limp mode 68RFE

Quote Originally Posted by Kris6.7 View Post
    I really need your help!! So lately my transmission has been going into Limp mode.. it basically shifts from 1st to 4th and you can't manually grab any other gear. There is no codes coming up when I scan with my mini Maxx. The truck is egr and DPF deleted. 2008 6.7 2500 any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks kris
    Try unplugging everything for say 30 minutes and then try plugging it back in good luck bud

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

3. Thanks Kris6.7 thanked for this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Unplug everything from the transmission? Or just the batteries? I already tried the disconnecting the battery last night

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Unplug everything from the transmission? Or just the batteries? I already tried the disconnecting the battery last night
    Maybe try and reflash the ecm? Other than that I'm not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks Kris6.7 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins20126.7 View Post

Is that something I can do with the mini Maxx or do I have to go to the dealer?

8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Are you running a transmission tune?

How many miles on the truck?

When was it serviced last?

You may have a solenoid problem. But I believe on the 68, if there is a pressure problem, it will not go any further than the available pressure. If it's shifting from 1 to 4, it's not in a limp mode. The higher the gear, the higher the pressure.

Check your connections on the outside of the trans. They can get corrosion on them. Disconnect the plugs, but a dab of Vaseline in the plugs and reassemble. Let's try to eliminate the obvious first.

Further, you need to use something more powerful to check the trans than the Mini.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

9. Thanks Kris6.7 thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins20126.7 View Post

Is that something I can do with the mini Maxx or do I have to go to the dealer?
    Reflash the Maxx program. That's what he's suggesting. Sound advice.

I have to ask this, I just realized you've been in a deep freeze out there. Is the truck Hot? The engine has to be up to a certain temp before it will continue into higher gears. But don't overlook my earlier suggestions

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Thanks Kris6.7 thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I will check the connections in the morning. I also forgot to mention that I bought the mini Maxx to try and fix this problem. I didn't get the transmission tune. I was wondering if I got that it might help with the pressure? My truck has around 140000 miles. I don't know the last time it was flushed and changed fluid. I've owned it for about 30000 miles. It is cold AF out here in Colorado but it doesn't help when the truck is warmed up either. Thank you all for your advice so far

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I would change fluid and filter first, would not flush with that high of miles and no service history.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I will check the connections in the morning. I also forgot to mention that I bought the mini Maxx to try and fix this problem. I didn't get the transmission tune. I was wondering if I got that it might help with the pressure? My truck has around 140000 miles. I don't know the last time it was flushed and changed fluid. I've owned it for about 30000 miles. It is cold AF out here in Colorado but it doesn't help when the truck is warmed up either. Thank you all for your advice so far
    Change your ATF fluid and filters also only use ATF+4 in your Transmission bud nothing else they are very finicky about using that fluid good luck I would also suggest adding a Mag Hytec Double Deep Trans Pan on your 68 RFE good luck

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

15. Thanks Kris6.7 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast