Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine dies on my 1996 3500 12 valve

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Engine dies on my 1996 3500 12 valve

So had no problem starting my truck this morning. Had it plugged in. Left for work 12 below zero. Did fine on highway. Soon as I was exiting the highway it stalled out coasting to a stop. I assumed that it was gelling of the fuel. Spent most of day trying to get it started using heaters to warm up the fuel system at first it acted like it wanted to start. now nothing. Turns over but does not even try to start. Any ideas? Please help....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Engine dies on my 1996 3500 12 valve

Quote Originally Posted by stanvanover View Post
    So had no problem starting my truck this morning. Had it plugged in. Left for work 12 below zero. Did fine on highway. Soon as I was exiting the highway it stalled out coasting to a stop. I assumed that it was gelling of the fuel. Spent most of day trying to get it started using heaters to warm up the fuel system at first it acted like it wanted to start. now nothing. Turns over but does not even try to start. Any ideas? Please help....

Check your lift pump and filter

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

X2 on checking lift pump and fuel filter those have mechanical lift pumps and they get weak over time it runs off a lobe on cam the arm and springs get weak how many miles on your lift pump ?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    X2 on checking lift pump and fuel filter those have mechanical lift pumps and they get weak over time it runs off a lobe on cam the arm and springs get weak how many miles on your lift pump ?
    Yes sir 100% correct. Now a days you can't rebuild them. My 84 had a repairable one. I used to carry a kit around in the glove box. I could fix it in the truck!
    In my 74, the pump was on the injector pump. You had to prime the darn thing. Leave it to Mitsubishi. The power steering pump was bigger than the engine. LOL 0 to 60 in a week. Did the 1/4 mile in a day. But one tough truck

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Just an FYI. If the fuel did gel on a weak pump, it will kill the pump. Check the filter for bio fuel wax build up. The pump fuel's are being blended with Biofuel now. It starts to wax up at 40 degrees.

6. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Check your lift pump and filter
    I am going to check lift pump you can do that with primer that is on it if what I was told is correct. Thank you very much

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I am going to check lift pump you can do that with primer that is on it if what I was told is correct. Thank you very much

Not totally true. What if the cam actuator failed. Just a warning to be thorough

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Not totally true. What if the cam actuator failed. Just a warning to be thorough
    X2 agree with Steve no way you can tell if lift pump has gone bad by checking primer button if it’s getting harder and harder to start it’s pretty much a done deal that you have bad lift pump

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

9. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Just got done fooling with it the pump is shot it is the original pump from 1996.

10. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

X2 agree with Steve no way you can tell if lift pump has gone bad by checking primer button if it’s getting harder and harder to start it’s pretty much a done deal that you have bad lift pump
    I called the original one owner also he gave me all records of maintenance done on the truck I have every filter change oil change any maintenance done to the truck it says what day what products were used even what time of day it was done. from the day he brought it home from the factory it was special ordered for his farm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast