Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Engine Temps

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Engine Temps

With these cold temperatures the Northeast is encountering, It's important to keep your engine temps up.

I have been having issues getting my truck up past 186* even in the middle of the summer. I guess it runs so clean, it can't reach the best temps. Yesterday it got up to 178* after 30 minutes.

I just ordered a 200* thermostat from our sponsor @Geno's Garage. Stock is 190. I am hoping I can get the engine temp up at least 10*. With the single digit temperatures, it's possible your coolant can freeze in the radiator. The wind chill can exceed -40. Even with 50/50 antifreeze, I have seen it. Many people stuff cardboard in the grill. That didn't work for me last year, but it will help prevent the rad from freezing up. Bra's are 80 bucks. I also would like ot to heat up faster. I'm tired of driving for 20 minutes before the heater get's lukewarm.

200 degrees is nothing to worry about. as long as the cooling system is in good shape, it will be fine. 250* is a place to be concerned. The longer the coolant sits in the rad, the more it get's cooled. The 190* I have just isn't cutting it. It's my third one. The lower temps also effect the MPG's.

So I finally bit the bullet. I'm replacing the cap too. It's just as important as the stat.

I'll keep you posted.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Engine Temps

Yes,

Mine runs cool as well. Even on a 110 degree day towing 10000lbs it only got up to around 213 degrees.

Transmission and oil were only a few degrees above normal temps.

It does take a while for the heater to work, even in our mild winters.

Just noticed this is 5.9 thread, mines a 6.7.....

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

my 5.9 used to warm up a lot better than my 6.7 I don't recall what thermostat was in that as I only ever had the dash gauge in that truck, my 6.7, I got to 190* around the time I got to work this morning, and it was 5* out. I let her idle down for 5 minutes at work and she dropped to 165*

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB Ram Box Larime
    2011 Ram 5500
    2006 Diesel Jeep Liberty
    RIP. 2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 DRD Tuning 107K miles wrecked by jeep wrangler.....

Other Toys: 1973 Charger Bougham edition 400 big block 42K original miles
    Unicycles (about 3 dozen)

6 in a row makes her go

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    my 5.9 used to warm up a lot better than my 6.7 I don't recall what thermostat was in that as I only ever had the dash gauge in that truck, my 6.7, I got to 190* around the time I got to work this morning, and it was 5* out. I let her idle down for 5 minutes at work and she dropped to 165*
    I went carquest TJ's House, WalMArt, then ran down to Boonton. Never got over 175* Going to block the rad. I have to take the beast to the vet later. It's 45 in the shop. Ugh

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

6. Likes david3gen liked this post