Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED pods for fog lights 03 Dodge

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: LED pods for fog lights 03 Dodge

When you say convert a reflector assembly from halogen to HID, your saying to put a reflector in your housing that is designed for an HID?

What i recommended really depends on far someone wants to take their lighting upgrade and how much they want to spend. The simplest cheapest upgrade would be using a better halogen bulb. If you Google "Ryan's guide to halogen bulbs" you'll find the best halogen bulb for application. If you want the best, then a retrofit with the MD2S with the shield drop mod, denso ballasts and osram CBB or CBI bulbs would be the best. Then there are in the middle retrofits you can do.

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins-fan View Post
    When you say convert a reflector assembly from halogen to HID, your saying to put a reflector in your housing that is designed for an HID?

What i recommended really depends on far someone wants to take their lighting upgrade and how much they want to spend. The simplest cheapest upgrade would be using a better halogen bulb. If you Google "Ryan's guide to halogen bulbs" you'll find the best halogen bulb for application. If you want the best, then a retrofit with the MD2S with the shield drop mod, denso ballasts and osram CBB or CBI bulbs would be the best. Then there are in the middle retrofits you can do.
    Upgrading the bulbs has a drawback too. The wiring to the bulb is marginable. It creates a low voltage situation which dims the bulb. That's why they look yellow.

The HID has a ballast which operates the bulb at much higher voltage. The high voltage is needed to excite the gas in the bulb. I'm not seeing the benefit. Just changing the bulb, you won't get the full potential like the other designs can offer on the same wiring. I'm assuming the Denso ballast is nothing more than a buck/boost device.

Now I'm starting to see where you are going.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Yes, upgrading the halogen bulb to a better halogen is not the best option out there. But depending on funds and/or the capability of retrofitting, it can be the best option.

Denso is a brand of ballast. So it's a ballast just any other one you'd use for HIDs. Denso is an OEM ballast and the highest quality out there that i know of.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123