Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED pods for fog lights 03 Dodge

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: LED pods for fog lights 03 Dodge

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    OK Just checking

I put HID's in mine. They just plug in without a harness. While the headlights need resistors and a harness. I have yet to find an LED bulb for the turn signals. They require the CK style. I wish someone made a plug in resistor for them too. I need another turn signal bulb. Chinese crap
    I wish people would stop putting LEDs and HIDs in housings that are NOT designed for those bulbs.

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins-fan View Post
    I wish people would stop putting LEDs and HIDs in housings that are NOT designed for those bulbs.
    what's wrong with the OEM lights? HID's and LED's actually run cooler than Halogen

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

what's wrong with the OEM lights? HID's and LED's actually run cooler than Halogen
    What's wrong with OEM lights or what's wrong with LEDs or HIDs in OEM housings?
    They run cooler, but that doesn't help when you get snow or ice buildup on your lenses. People say they run cooler like its a benefit, but i don't see what the benefit is.

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

What's wrong with OEM lights or what's wrong with LEDs or HIDs in OEM housings?
    They run cooler, but that doesn't help when you get snow or ice buildup on your lenses. People say they run cooler like its a benefit, but i don't see what the benefit is.
    You should have been more clear in the first place. That's not the housing, that's the bulb.

Ice doesn't accumulate on the HID like it does on with LED. if you look around, I've advised people numerous times to use HID's in colder climates. I have no ice problems with the HID. LED's can run too cold, even though they get hot. The higher the wattage, the hotter the light

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

You should have been more clear in the first place. That's not the housing, that's the bulb.

Ice doesn't accumulate on the HID like it does on with LED. if you look around, I've advised people numerous times to use HID's in colder climates. I have no ice problems with the HID. LED's can run too cold, even though they get hot. The higher the wattage, the hotter the light
    This seems pretty clear to me
    "I wish people would stop putting LEDs and HIDs in housings that are NOT designed for those bulbs."
    Either way whether that statement is clear to someone or not, LEDs and HIDs do not be long in a housing design for a halogen bulb.

So what is the benefit of having a cooler running bulb?

6. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

This seems pretty clear to me
    "I wish people would stop putting LEDs and HIDs in housings that are NOT designed for those bulbs."
    Either way whether that statement is clear to someone or not, LEDs and HIDs do not be long in a housing design for a halogen bulb.

So what is the benefit of having a cooler running bulb?
    I really don't want to debate this with you. You're entitled to your opinion. I've been running HID's in Factory enclosures for 12 years. No issues other than RF noise from the ballasts

The only advantage to lower watt bulbs is the reduced consumption. Less energy. The reason for the HID and LED's is because the technology is so much brighter. They just happen to be lower consumption. Lower watts, lower heat

7. Likes Joe Froe liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

I really don't want to debate this with you. You're entitled to your opinion. I've been running HID's in Factory enclosures for 12 years. No issues other than RF noise from the ballasts

The only advantage to lower watt bulbs is the reduced consumption. Less energy. The reason for the HID and LED's is because the technology is so much brighter. They just happen to be lower consumption. Lower watts, lower heat
    I'm not saying this because it's my option, I'm saying it from all the research I've done and facts behind what I'm talking about. You know a lot more about these pickups then i do, but i have more knowledge about headlights then you. I was working on sharing that knowledge with you, but for some reason you do not want to discuss it. I thought one of the purposes of these forums is to discuss things, but maybe I'm wrong.

9. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

I'm not saying this because it's my option, I'm saying it from all the research I've done and facts behind what I'm talking about. You know a lot more about these pickups then i do, but i have more knowledge about headlights then you. I was working on sharing that knowledge with you, but for some reason you do not want to discuss it. I thought one of the purposes of these forums is to discuss things, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I know alot about allot. Thanks for the compliment. I'm also a BSEE. Not a lighting engineer. If you have some info, share it. I may be stubborn, but I do have an open mind.. I can't say I've ever researched the subject in any depth. I do know that most people use the stock housings with long lasting success. It's the headlight optics that make the difference. I currently have projectors as "fog" lights. Can't say I'm thrilled with them. I bought the wrong thing but decided to run with it. One of those things you get used too. My wifes car has projectors and the HID's enhanced them, making them more liveable. I find projectors limit the height of the light causing some dark spots on hilly terrain, when standards disperse the light better. Visibility is what it's all about

I'm more into practical mods. Most of that looks cool stuff usually turns into a nightmare eventually. I see the HID mod as practical for these tired old eyes. As you get older, you appreciate more light. I'm already a dimbulb. LOL

Slow down and lets see what you have.

10. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

One of the things that people think is brighter is better, but that's not true. If brighter was better then why don't people just put some laser pointers on their front of their car, those are super bright. Brighter is better if that light is controlled and distributed correctly. When you put LEDs or HIDs in reflector housings the light is not controlled correctly causing glare which blinds oncoming drivers and too much foreground. People say "i never get high beamed" but that doesn't mean you're not blinding people or making it harder for them to see. There really is no reason to have light that high in air either. At night you want to see what's on the road and potential hazards on the sides of the road, not what could possibly be falling from the sky. With the foreground/less useable light, it takes away from being able to see farther and wider due to too much light being directly in front of the vehicle. It's like trying to look into a window when it's bright outside or trying to look out a window with lights on inside and it being dark outside. If you walk in the dark using your phone flashlight you'll notice you can see the ground better if you kill the light on your phone screen, same concept. 99% of people are too hard heading and stuck in their ways to actually think about this, do some research on it and figure out what actual lighting upgrade is. They just think, my headlights are brighter so they are better. But there is more to it like i just explained.

11. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

One of the things that people think is brighter is better, but that's not true. If brighter was better then why don't people just put some laser pointers on their front of their car, those are super bright. Brighter is better if that light is controlled and distributed correctly. When you put LEDs or HIDs in reflector housings the light is not controlled correctly causing glare which blinds oncoming drivers and too much foreground. People say "i never get high beamed" but that doesn't mean you're not blinding people or making it harder for them to see. There really is no reason to have light that high in air either. At night you want to see what's on the road and potential hazards on the sides of the road, not what could possibly be falling from the sky. With the foreground/less useable light, it takes away from being able to see farther and wider due to too much light being directly in front of the vehicle. It's like trying to look into a window when it's bright outside or trying to look out a window with lights on inside and it being dark outside. If you walk in the dark using your phone flashlight you'll notice you can see the ground better if you kill the light on your phone screen, same concept. 99% of people are too hard heading and stuck in their ways to actually think about this, do some research on it and figure out what actual lighting upgrade is. They just think, my headlights are brighter so they are better. But there is more to it like i just explained.
    Yeah OK. I was skirting what you said with the optics. You probably figured that out. Everything you said is very true. However, Brighter is better. An example of that is seeing it for yourself. If you just converted a reflector assembly from halogen to HID, there is a vast difference in the range, which is also shown in the perimeter lighting. It's a obvious fact, the range is much greater with a brighter bulb. Even just going to a HO halogen is an improvement.

All that said, what are you recommending for lighting?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast