Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muddy looking goo in the coolant bottle.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Muddy looking goo in the coolant bottle.

Poking around under the hood this morning on my Ram and noticed a muddy look in the coolant bottle. Only have 38k miles on this but definitely concerned.. still in power train I’ll dump it at the dealer but curious if anyone else has had this issue.
    Thanks

Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Muddy looking goo in the coolant bottle.

When I 1st bought my truck, I noticed a bit of sludge at the bottom on the puck bottle and threw on a coolant filter. Never had a problem since, and it only cost me a cheap filter each year. I was told it was usually trash from when they made the block and sometimes they couldn't get all the trash out when they flushed the block for clean. Plus with the filters inlet coming from the 5 and 6 cylinder area of the head, it helps with move coolant movement in the area with the most heat. The only problem with doing this is the more stuff they put into the engine compartment the in newer years models. Something to think about.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Thanks kflynn318 thanked for this post
    Likes kflynn318, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    When I 1st bought my truck, I noticed a bit of sludge at the bottom on the puck bottle and threw on a coolant filter. Never had a problem since, and it only cost me a cheap filter each year. I was told it was usually trash from when they made the block and sometimes they couldn't get all the trash out when they flushed the block for clean. Plus with the filters inlet coming from the 5 and 6 cylinder area of the head, it helps with move coolant movement in the area with the most heat. The only problem with doing this is the more stuff they put into the engine compartment the in newer years models. Something to think about.
    Curious to see it. Will search google, but what kit did you go with?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I went wth a company named NUC motor sport. But they don't make for your year. My friend with a '05 Ford like the idea, and we went to NAPA, ordered the parts, made a bracket and he's running his for 8 years now, without problems.

Give me a bit and I'll get a picture for you.

IMG_0500.jpg

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

6. Thanks kflynn318 thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I went wth a company named NUC motor sport. But they don't make for your year. My friend with a '05 Ford like the idea, and we went to NAPA, ordered the parts, made a bracket and he's running his for 8 years now, without problems.

Give me a bit and I'll get a picture for you.

IMG_0500.jpg
    Thank you! I see a few of the kits on line, like the sinister diesel one. Going to order one today.
    Thanks for your input

8. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Before you order one, hang in there and discuss this with others, they might have other ideas. A couple days won't hurt.

Jim

10. Likes cumminsbadgirl, kflynn318 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Cummins may have cheapened it's wash out procedures after sand casting. One system flush and it's over. But no worries. Better in the bottle than in the engine. Seen it many times in old Mopars.

A old timers tip: Put several ounces of concentrated Dawn dish detergent in the rad before you go to flush. Drive it around for a couple of weeks, Then flush it out. Put about an ounce of DAWN dish detergent in the rad after flushing. It keeps that stuff left suspended.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I learned from an old man years decades ago, when they cast an engine, it's mainly a sand cast and even if they high pressure wash it several timess, there is sand imbedded in the inner walls. As time goes by, it can slowly loosen and flow in the coolant. When it hits parts like the water pump, it will break down even smaller and basically be the same as sandpaper to the bearings, plus lay down in the inner walls to flow again later. I was questioning the old coot, and when the Ford I owned then had a water pump problem, he wanted to do the work for parts only. (what we found, I bought he and his wife dinner) We let the coolant fill a clean pan and we found grit like sand, like off of sandpaper. The old man was right. I filter everything I can to this day because of him. (I still miss the old coot)

Jim

13. Likes Power247 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Now that is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing that. Crazy how much knowledge some people have that not believed by others. Im definitely keeping this in the back of my head for sure. Thank ya sir!

I learned from an old man years decades ago, when they cast an engine, it's mainly a sand cast and even if they high pressure wash it several timess, there is sand imbedded in the inner walls. As time goes by, it can slowly loosen and flow in the coolant. When it hits parts like the water pump, it will break down even smaller and basically be the same as sandpaper to the bearings, plus lay down in the inner walls to flow again later. I was questioning the old coot, and when the Ford I owned then had a water pump problem, he wanted to do the work for parts only. (what we found, I bought he and his wife dinner) We let the coolant fill a clean pan and we found grit like sand, like off of sandpaper. The old man was right. I filter everything I can to this day because of him. (I still miss the old coot)

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I don't totally agree with the distruction of the bearings, but it's possible. That's why Cummins says to do a engine flush at 60K. My water pump seal gave way at 90K. 12 years old

Now you're gonna make me buy a filter. ^&*^**&%&^^$^&%(*&)(+__)(+_)(_(*& old fart

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast