Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Starter

I have a 1996 ram 3500 12 valve 150,000 miles on it and i just went through my second starter. Does anyone have suggestion on what starter to purchase going forward?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Starter

You need to buy a Cummins starter from Cummins or original OEM from Mopar also check out Genos Garage and DelCity I have bought from both of them

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

4. Likes Snow Dodge, watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    You need to buy a Cummins starter from Cummins or original OEM from Mopar also check out Genos Garage and DelCity I have bought from both of them
    I second this

2012 RAM 3500 Mega cab Dually Longhorn H.O
    Sagebrush Pearl
    Sinister Diesel Egr delete,,AFE Turbo back 5"SS exaust,MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel,S&B cold air intake,GDP throttle valve delete,AMSOIL,(arp625 headstuds comming soon)

6. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I third it btw nice looking 12Valve!!!

2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Cummins, G56, Rough Country Leveling, MM3 EGRless Tuned by Double R Diesel

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

8. Likes david3gen liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I just love second gen flatbeds!! Thanks for the pic

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

10. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree with the original cummins starter.
    But with an average of 75k per starter, seems way to low for a starters life. I'd look further into this.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

12. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I agree with the original cummins starter.
    But with an average of 75k per starter, seems way to low for a starters life. I'd look further into this.
    X2 agreed I get the feeling that he wasn’t using a Cummins Starter probably some inferior pos from one of the auto place stores sounds like to me with getting such little mileage out of starter

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

14. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

It's all on the quality of the rebuilder. You could probably do a better job yourself. Starters can be tough

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

16. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stanvanover View Post
    I have a 1996 ram 3500 12 valve 150,000 miles on it and i just went through my second starter. Does anyone have suggestion on what starter to purchase going forward?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...edbc983d33.jpg

I have a couple of questions

Are you buying these starters at AutoZone? If so stop. Advance or CarQuest rebuilds are much better. Cardone rebuilds are good. NAPA. Just stay away from Autozone unless you need a national brand or you are in a real pinch.

There are tons of real good used starters in the yards at a fraction of the cost

is the truck easy to start or are you continuously grinding the hell out of it?

What shape are the battery cables and connections in?

Have you had the batteries tested?

Let's not fix the problem, let's find the cause.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

18. Thanks stanvanover thanked for this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I have a couple of questions

Are you buying these starters at AutoZone? If so stop. Advance or CarQuest rebuilds are much better. Cardone rebuilds are good. NAPA. Just stay away from Autozone unless you need a national brand or you are in a real pinch.

There are tons of real good used starters in the yards at a fraction of the cost

is the truck easy to start or are you continuously grinding the hell out of it?

What shape are the battery cables and connections in?

Have you had the batteries tested?

Let's not fix the problem, let's find the cause.
    Turns out the the top bolt on starter had all but come out and bottoms were loose the starter was not making complete contact with the flywheel. Thank you for your input

20. Likes david3gen liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast