Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor Fuel Economy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Poor Fuel Economy?

Wondering if anyone has had the same issue. I bought my 2012 2500 6.7 in July of 2015 and it had around 83,000 miles on it. Since I've had it, my mpg's both hand calculated and lie-o-meter have been anywhere from 10-13. 13 almost never happens but only in the summer on interstate trips. I was wondering if either valve lash, grid heater or CCV filter could be causing this? My grid heater is caked in soot but not to where air cannot pass through (thanks to the egr), intake horn was cleaned out thoroughly 5,000 miles ago, truck is emissions deleted and taken care of meticulously such as oil changes, fuel filter changes, and air filter changes. I figured if it was the grid heater being clogged, I would see more soot out the tail pipe from the inability to meet the desired AFR. For valve lash, I know that it is set differently from the factory for a stock exhaust system but would changing it make a difference? I do have 35's on the truck but even on stock tires, I was seeing the same mpg's. And as for the CCV I don't have any check engine lights or service messages but I don't have any record of it being replaced, I might just delete it and see? Can anyone offer some help? Those were just my assumptions but if anyone has any other ideas let's hear em!

Update:
    Just finished doing the CCV Delete and needless to say I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. It wasn't hard to do but just took a lot of patience. Plus it makes a mess if you don't do it over the trash! Just a heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Poor Fuel Economy?

I know you said it's a 2500, but do you know the rear end gear ratio ? (I've only known one 2500 having a 4:10 ratio)
    Also, has the trans been serviced and the bands checked for adjustment ?

Also, check the manual, but I believe the valve lash isn't adjusted until 150k, unless the prior owner did it and messed up ...

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
    I know you said it's a 2500, but do you know the rear end gear ratio ? (I've only known one 2500 having a 4:10 ratio)
    Also, has the trans been serviced and the bands checked for adjustment ?

Also, check the manual, but I believe the valve lash isn't adjusted until 150k, unless the prior owner did it and messed up ...
    To my knowledge the gear ratio is 3.73. I checked the valve lash the other day and it was at stock adjustment. I know people adjust them when the put an aftermarket exhaust on, would I benefit from adjusting them?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The grid heater is certainly a restriction but I can’t say the fuel economy would suffer that bad if there’s still air flow but I’m not sure. I’ve deleted the CCV and grid heater on mine and run a GDP airhorn. I also have 35s on 20s with 3.73 gears and my EVIC averages around 17 combined. I also hand calculate every fill up as well and it’s about a mile per gallon off but I don’t do a lot of highway driving. Highway driving, EVIC instant fuel economy will read 20-22 mpg cruising at 70 all day long though. I average 10-12 mpg pulling my 10,000lbs travel trailer. Ram doesn’t recommend adjusting the valve lash until 150,000 miles I believe. Wheel bearings are good? You don’t possibly have a brake pad dragging do you?

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    The grid heater is certainly a restriction but I can’t say the fuel economy would suffer that bad if there’s still air flow but I’m not sure. I’ve deleted the CCV and grid heater on mine and run a GDP airhorn. I also have 35s on 20s with 3.73 gears and my EVIC averages around 17 combined. I also hand calculate every fill up as well and it’s about a mile per gallon off but I don’t do a lot of highway driving. Highway driving, EVIC instant fuel economy will read 20-22 mpg cruising at 70 all day long though. I average 10-12 mpg pulling my 10,000lbs travel trailer. Ram doesn’t recommend adjusting the valve lash until 150,000 miles I believe. Wheel bearings are good? You don’t possibly have a brake pad dragging do you?

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD
    Man I'd pay to get that kind of economy! I had my brakes changed and ball bearings changed in December of last year. I'm gonna delete the grid heater and CCV and go from there

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Hey bud how do you like your GDP airhorn ?

2012 Cummins Ram 6.7L MM3 tuner full 5" Flo Pro TBE Exhaust LWBCC 4x4 Mag Hytec Double Deep Transmission Pan , Mag Hytec Rear Diff Cover
    Airlift part # 57595 7500lbs airbags ,Nitto Ridge Grapplers 35/12.50/20 on XD 829 Big Hoss ll Satin Black Machined Dark Tint 20 x 9 with + 18 offset rims,MM3 Tuner With full Custom Tunes by Ray at DRD , Autometer A13117 Pillar Pod , Edge 98004 mount adapter , Mag Hytec front diff cover, SuperNova V4 LED Headlight Bulbs

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HKBIGDADDYDIESELDAN View Post
    Hey bud how do you like your GDP airhorn ?
    I do like it! Other than looking cool, it’s got several ports on the back that can be used for different things if you wanted.

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

My numbers are almost identical to this except I still have CCV and grid heater in place. If you havent done so, check the MAF as it can also get caked with soot. That was the culprit when my MPGs started to tank a couple years ago. I ordered a replacement from Geno's and kept the original as a spare once I got it cleaned up.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

10. Thanks theaaronbush thanked for this post
    Likes theaaronbush liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    My numbers are almost identical to this except I still have CCV and grid heater in place. I also recommend checking the MAF as it can also get caked with soot. That was the culprit when my MPGs started to tank a couple years ago. I ordered a replacement from Geno's and kept the original as a spare once I got it cleaned up.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    I replaced the MAF sensor a while ago in hopes of fixing this issue but to no avail.

12. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Is your egr and throttle valve still in place?

Sent from my Samsung S-8 using Tapatalk... DRD tuned 2012 Ram 2500 CCSB, Saddle Brown Pearl

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast