Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poor Fuel Economy?

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Poor Fuel Economy?

Quote Originally Posted by 9mgcb81 View Post
    You're in Kentucky. Winter blend was put out in November
    That will drop mileage anywhere from 2-5 mpg depending on how you drive and modifications
    I actually forgot about winter blend diesel! Great one more thing to hurt my mileage!! But I get these numbers all year. Maxing 13 in the summer in the city and not very much more on the highway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins20126.7 View Post
    I actually forgot about winter blend diesel! Great one more thing to hurt my mileage!! But I get these numbers all year. Maxing 13 in the summer in the city and not very much more on the highway

I kind of skipped a page so I don't know if this came up.

What kind of driving do you do? Highway? City? Do you let it idle allot?

First things first. Unplug that EGR valve. Live with the light.

What about your driving habits?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I kind of skipped a page so I don't know if this came up.

What kind of driving do you do? Highway? City? Do you let it idle allot?

First things first. Unplug that EGR valve. Live with the light.

What about your driving habits?
    Mostly city but not in heavy city traffic, pretty much all rural city with little traffic. Never let it idle much except for at stop lights. Driving habits are normal, don't ever really get on it and steady accelerations from stops, occasionally some OD bursts to pass someone on the highway but that's about it. Where I'm from there's one large highway that everything branches off from so I do occasionally take that. Also egr is deleted!

4. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

What tuner are you using?

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

What tuner are you using?
    I've been using RaceME Ultra box tuning for a while now but recently got into doing my own tuning. Since I've started doing my own, I've gained 1-2 mpg and that's on a 60 horse tune that hasn't been totally refined yet. Before RaceME I had an edge cts2 and efi live. Both of which showed the same mpg numbers. Also when I bought the truck stock, mpg was still the same.
    Some history on the truck that may be important:
    I bought the truck for 32k with 83,xxx miles on it from a dealership near me. I jumped on the deal because the same trim package and relatively close mileage were going for around 38k-40k. And when I bought it, the dealership had the truck for only two days prior to me buying it. Maybe the dealership had the price listed so cheaply because they knew something about it that they didn't tell the buyer?
    Also when I bought it, both the engine bay and interior was pretty dusty. I assumed it was a farm truck based on where I live. Maybe the previous owner put 160k miles on it in 83k by driving it like a maniac... who knows! Not sure if that could allude to any problems but maybe

6. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

You can try reducing the pulse width some. Drying it out definitely helps. That's what we have been doing to my 5.9 and it's been working.

I have eggs under my feet when I drive. Our driving is similar. I average 15 around town on winter fuel. I've gotten as high as 26 on the highway. I'm not hurting for power either

7. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Well, I for one am stumped. Not that I know that much about diesels, 'cause I don't. I was a gasman until a few years back. What about the turbo? Does your tuner display show the turbo speed?

8. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    hmmm i want to say when i had my 2012 with the 3.73 gears i was getting around 14-15. When i deleted i had a 6 inch lift and 35's getting right at 19mpg or a hair less.

You might benefit by taking the intake off and egr and giving it a good cleaning. Will be the cheaper route first. If you just want to get rid of it all that's fine too!
    Have you ran anything to clean up your injectors?

2012 RAM 3500 Mega cab Dually Longhorn H.O
    Sagebrush Pearl
    Sinister Diesel Egr delete,,AFE Turbo back 5"SS exaust,MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel,S&B cold air intake,GDP throttle valve delete,AMSOIL,(arp625 headstuds comming soon)

9. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

You can try reducing the pulse width some. Drying it out definitely helps. That's what we have been doing to my 5.9 and it's been working.

I have eggs under my feet when I drive. Our driving is similar. I average 15 around town on winter fuel. I've gotten as high as 26 on the highway. I'm not hurting for power either
    I'm working on dropping pulsewidth and timing in the cruise range for better economy

10. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
    Well, I for one am stumped. Not that I know that much about diesels, 'cause I don't. I was a gasman until a few years back. What about the turbo? Does your tuner display show the turbo speed?
    Turbo spools as it should and is linear with main quantity under acceleration

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast