Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer case clunk

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Transfer case clunk

Ok guys, my 2012 with 68RFE has developed a clunk and i think I’ve pin pointed it to the transfer case. If I turn the wheels lock to lock, it’ll clunk and also at low speed (under 20mph) turns or small articulations. I’ve spent a lot of time under the truck trying to find something loose or binding but everything is tight and looks good. I had my son turn the wheels back and forth while I was under it and the clunk is for sure coming from the transfer case. It’s only developed within the last couple months. The mounts are still in good shape with no movement. I flushed the case about a year ago. It’s not the track bar or the bracket. It does not move. Any ideas what has developed?

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

2. Likes Burd liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Transfer case clunk

Quote Originally Posted by theaaronbush View Post
    Ok guys, my 2012 with 68RFE has developed a clunk and i think I’ve pin pointed it to the transfer case. If I turn the wheels lock to lock, it’ll clunk and also at low speed (under 20mph) turns or small articulations. I’ve spent a lot of time under the truck trying to find something loose or binding but everything is tight and looks good. I had my son turn the wheels back and forth while I was under it and the clunk is for sure coming from the transfer case. It’s only developed within the last couple months. The mounts are still in good shape with no movement. I flushed the case about a year ago. It’s not the track bar or the bracket. It does not move. Any ideas what has developed?

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD
    Sounds more like ball joints is there any play in the steering? Did you jack the truck up and check the ball joint? Also might be the U joints on one of the front hubs.

2012 ram 2500 4x4. 3” lift. 37x13.5x17 toyo mt. Smitty built grill, kenwood radio, bullet liner.

4. Thanks Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes Polaraco, Burd liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kooler1 View Post
    Sounds more like ball joints is there any play in the steering? Did you jack the truck up and check the ball joint? Also might be the U joints on one of the front hubs.

2012 ram 2500 4x4. 3” lift. 37x13.5x17 toyo mt. Smitty built grill, kenwood radio, bullet liner.
    Ball joints are all new. I put my ear to the transfer case and it’s definitely it. The sound is not coming from the front of the truck. While sitting in park and turning the steering wheel, the front driveshaft turns a little bit and that’s when it clunks. I originally thought it was balljoints and that’s why they were replaced along with a new drag link.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Ball joints are all new. I put my ear to the transfer case and it’s definitely it. The sound is not coming from the front of the truck. While sitting in park and turning the steering wheel, the front driveshaft turns a little bit and that’s when it clunks. I originally thought it was balljoints and that’s why they were replaced along with a new drag link.

Gah, I dread the day I run into a problem like this. I wish I understood a little more about how they work. Subscribed, hopefully it's a cheap fix!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. Likes theaaronbush liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloombloom88 View Post
    Gah, I dread the day I run into a problem like this. I wish I understood a little more about how they work. Subscribed, hopefully it's a cheap fix!

I do too! A rebuild kit isn’t very expensive and there’s really not a whole lot to the transfer case. While I’m at it, I’ll probably change out the ujoints on the front drive shaft as well. Wish me luck!

9. Thanks Burd thanked for this post
    Likes Burd, walla2k5, bloombloom88 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

I do too! A rebuild kit isn’t very expensive and there’s really not a whole lot to the transfer case. While I’m at it, I’ll probably change out the ujoints on the front drive shaft as well. Wish me luck!

Best of luck!

11. Thanks theaaronbush, Burd thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It could be the chain is stretched.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Likes Burd liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    It could be the chain is stretched.
    That’s what I’m thinking as well. I only use 4wd once per month just to actually engage it...I’ve never needed it but being that it’s always spinning, that is a possibility. I’m gonna try to record a video tomorrow of what I’m hearing and post it on here.

15. Likes Burd liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

That’s what I’m thinking as well. I only use 4wd once per month just to actually engage it...I’ve never needed it but being that it’s always spinning, that is a possibility. I’m gonna try to record a video tomorrow of what I’m hearing and post it on here.

With these modern trucks, you really don't need to do that. I had my 08 for 4 years and don't think I ever used it. I checked it once when I was trading it in. They're pretty reliable. The actuation system is monitored by the pooter so . . . . You're not supposed to drive them on dry roads. That's what stretches the chains.

That's why I have a RWD now. LOL All I need is a limited slip rear. Ironically, the previous owner had it removed and I just found one affordable enough this week. Life will be golden now.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    With these modern trucks, you really don't need to do that. I had my 08 for 4 years and don't think I ever used it. I checked it once when I was trading it in. They're pretty reliable. The actuation system is monitored by the pooter so . . . . You're not supposed to drive them on dry roads. That's what stretches the chains.

That's why I have a RWD now. LOL All I need is a limited slip rear. Ironically, the previous owner had it removed and I just found one affordable enough this week. Life will be golden now.
    I understand that! I literally never use 4wd! Resale is better on a 4wd HD truck and that’s mostly what you find around here unless it’s a cab and chassis. Supposedly the newer (‘13+) trucks have an unlocking transfer case and get a little better fuel economy as well. I saw that you found the rear end! Good luck with the install!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast