Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Paint

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhaust Paint

I like the look of a totally black exhaust pipe but I don't like the price. I'd like to paint the last bolted section of my stock 4" exhaust with a mate black finish that is going to last a while. I know there are traditional engine paints and have read a little bit about ceramic coatings but curious to know if anybody knows the paints/method to do this that will give the best life. I'm going to finish it off with a black 4" to 5" tip but want to get black further up under my truck. Advice needed...

2. Top Of Page | #2

Re: Exhaust Paint

I had a black ceramic coated exhaust on a J/K Jeep I had. I can tell you the matte black color stayed perfect, no discoloration at all. It is some very tough stuff also. I'm not sure how hot our exhausts get after all the emission stuff or during a Regen but I looked at the engine paint I had out in the garage and it all had a 500 degree rating.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Just generic matte black engine paint?

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I always end up painting a tip and exhaust and that stuff holds up extremely well. I have even put plasti dip on it before and it worked well LOL

Be sure and post some pics when your done for sure bud!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

5. Top Of Page | #5

I was saying the ceramic coating stays perfect. I'm not sure how well engine paint would hold I have never used it on an exhaust. If you have a heat gun try to measure the temp of the exhaust and see if it rises about the paints rating.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

oh got ya. I'm going to do a little more research and see what i can find. I figure the black tip will likely take most of the abuse from rock and mud so hopefully the rest of the painted pipe will last a while. I will post some picture when i decide what direction and get things moving. Thanks for the input. I'll let yo know how it goes.

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Years ago, I needed to redo my barrels on my Harley .. chips from the road. I bought a can of black paint (sold as a bomb can and rated for 1340 degrees) from the local Harley dealer and sprayed them. Lasted for years. And the barrels, as you can imagine get extremely hot. Might look if they still sell the paint. It should easily handle the heat of your truck exhaust. I bought the flat black, but I seem to remember they sold them in gloss also.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I'm also trying to decide how to go about painting the tailpipe. I have my black 4 into 6" tip on and all the galvanized pipe behind the tip looks bad......I think I am just going to use Rust-Oleum High Heat. Says it's good for temps up to 2000 degrees. I'll sand on the pipe a bit, clean it with alcohol and then a couple coats of the Rust-Oleum. I'd do it today, but I am at work. It will have to wait until Tuesday.

I also need to heat the exhaust hanger on my Flo-Pro so I can bend it up, somewhat. The tip points downward a tad and is annoying me.

Todd
    2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 68RFE | Deleted and Tuned by Double R Diesel |

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I was planning to go the same way with the Rust-Oleum. Going to pull the last section of pipe, hang it up and spray it. With the black tip on there it wont be a whole lot to see anyway, but will look better than the black to silver transition that stands out.

Haha, i feel the same way about the tip that rolls down toward the ground. Got to get it pointed back level.

10. Likes 14blackram liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

just get some fireplace/stove high temp black, it'll hold up great if you use a few good coats.

12. Likes scs210 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast