Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fuel pressure constantly dropping???

1. Top Of Page | #31
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Can you borrow a mechanical gauge to verify this?

2. Top Of Page | #32
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I'm not quite sure of anyone that has one around here. I was thinking that it may just be the gauge because I can drive all day with the pressure at 10 psi or above, but if I were to let off and pull somewhere to park, the gauge will go down to 3-4 and if I were to give it some throttle, it will bottom out, but not hesitate or anything. Now this is only when it is tuned with my smarty on level 2, which really isn't much. I put it back to stock now thinking if I were to keep it, I'll burn my pump up. The pressure stays normal and doesn't drop stock.

3. Top Of Page | #33
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

12psi is still low. OFV opens at 14psi. It's good to keep it above 14psi so that the VP gets a constant supply of cool fuel. This is partially why aftermarket liftpumps can help a VP live longer. 12 at idle is on the low end of dodge spec, yes?

4. Top Of Page | #34
    Instagram Manager IG Operations's Avatar

User Info Menu

Ok so after new filters, new lines new pumps, the raptor 100. A OFV. The problem still persisted from now an then. Well he finally figured it out. The wire powering his pump was being powered by a tiny single wire copper. That he simply was able to pull out. So he ran a new power wire. And all is good. Truck runs like a top. Fp never drops below 15

Tag us @ #igotacummins_com to have your photos reposted.

5. Top Of Page | #35
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Amazing what the little electrical gremlins can do. Glad he got the fix!

6. Top Of Page | #36
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Chris, I believe that 10 psi is the lowest you really want it to go before you start doing damage to the VP. That's what an injection shop told me anyway. The other thing they said is to not let the pressure go above 20 psi either otherwise you can rupture the diaphragm in the VP and that can't be fixed. Just my .02

7. Top Of Page | #37
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The diaphragm on reman pumps seems to hold up much better than the old style diaphragm in stock pumps. The reason I say 14psi is because that is when the overflow valve opens, allowing fuel to circulate through the VP, keeping it cool

8. Top Of Page | #38
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have a 2001 24v and my pump is external on the block, around here where i live dodge wont even sell you an external pump. They will only let loose of the in-tank. But most part stores have them. And just a few weeks ago I had the same problem, I put a fuel pressure gauge on the filter housing and it was reading fine. Changed the fuel filter and got my pressure back. I would start with checking with a different gauge on the engine. And when towing if he has any kind of programmer on it it'll drain the pressure with a stock pump. And it could also be the injection pump is going out or clogged with something, same thing with an injector, might be clogged up

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234